Click here to pre-order now. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste. https://healthiersteps.com/recipe/vegan-stewed-okras-and-tomatoes I can't wait to have some tomorrow since soup usually tastes better the second day. Add stage 4 (2 tbsp vegan fish sauce, 2 tbsp dried seaweed – finely chopped, 80g Egusi, 250g Okra, optional: 1 Maggie cube) and cook for 10-15 minutes, still gently simmering. Soup, Spaghetti, & Stewed Okra! Eddo in soup is a new experience for me, but I’ve had taro in soup before so it’s a very familiar and nostalgic texture. Go and check out the rest of my recipes! Bacon or fatback is its standard start, but olive oil and garlic make a lovely, vegan version. The only problem was that the okra and green pepper turned out way too soft, so I think my slow cooker may run a little hotter than most. Order today: vegan West African meals, cooked by me and delivered straight to your door. Sprinkle a dash of flour … This is more of a base recipe which can be modified to taste. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Instead, just freeze the soup … This is at no added cost to you and allows me to keep making new recipes to share! Yes No No Preference. I also deliver tasty West African vegan food in and around Manchester, via Get Vegan Grub. Filed Under: Appetizer, crockpot, Slow Cooker Recipes, Soups, Summer, The Easy Vegan Cookbook Tagged With: corn, okra, quick and easy, soup, The Easy Vegan Cookbook, Vegan, Vegetarian. I used some bad frozen okra once, and it was unpleasant. Okra Groundnut Soup, Fufu & Plantain – Wohlfühlrezept | vegan 4. Warm bulgur salad: 10-minute veggie fried rice. Shortly after this monumental change, I started an Instagram account to document my vegan journey. If you do, it will soak up most of the broth like little sponges. März 2017 Keine Kommentare. I made it vegetarian/vegan which doesn’t mean that you can’t include some meat or seafood. Today, I’m updating this post in collaboration with a team of fellow Black food bloggers as part of the 2020 Juneteenth Cookout Takeover.June 19th (Juneteenth) is a jubilee of freedom to commemorate the end of slavery in the United States. A few years later, with my drive and enthusiasm to spread the joy for vegan food still alive, I started my very own business and launched a website where I share my favourite vegan recipes. The recipe is flavorful, satisfying, filling, nourishing, rich in plant-based protein, and easy to make. It was an honor to be on her show. If you know you’re going to freeze it, don’t add the cooked barley to the soup. You can also swap these for … Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Miss Information. I made the chipotle chickpea chili from Cookin' Crunk, and we talked about being vegan in the South, what I eat in a day, running, and more. *Vegan butter can be subbed for oil but vegan butter is recommended. I would always want to go food shopping with her and help in the kitchen to learn from her. Stir in the broth, okra, corn, tomatoes and all spices except for the salt and pepper. Allow this mixture to cook for about 5 minutes. For more information, please see my full disclosure policy. I recently developed this recipe: Okra soup! Vegetable Soup Never … Mix stage 3 together, ensure the vegetable stock is thoroughly mixed in. One tip I have is to be sure to get good quality okra. Vegan Lima Bean and Okra Soup By Elle, the Foodie Posted on May 14, 2020 0 1 m read 205 views Soups are one of my favorite things to make and they happen to be perfect for those who would like to create meals that will stretch throughout these quarantined days. I’ve been vegan now for over 5 years and haven’t looked back. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Okra Soup is one the simplest vegetarian soup recipes prepared with the famous vegetable - Ladies Finger. This loaded okro soup is a staple in some West African countries like Nigeria, Ghana, and Cameroon. There is a no oil added option and you can substitute cooked beans for the vegan … Add the tomato paste and saute for another 30 seconds and then add the diced tomatoes and mix well. This soup is just full of options. Reheat the pot with the oil and let … I was intrigued to note the slight differences in the preparation of this okra soup, as compared to the Nigerian version. Before we get into tonight's post, I wanted to share this link to my appearance yesterday on Chef AJ's show! The corn and okra add texture to the fragrant vegetable broth. 1. I liked that this soup didn't have an overly acidic tomato flavor. In a small bowl, mix together 122g of garri with 240g warm water (step 6). Slow Cooker Cabbage Steaks from The Revised Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Instant Pot Black-Eyed Pea Curry with Spinach. Adzuki and green lentil curry. Substituted grean beans and peas for the okra and edamame just because that is what I had on hand. Read More This is the perfect time of the year to make this Creole Okra Corn Soup while there’s still fresh okra and corn at the farmers market. … I didn’t grow up vegan but the bases of Cameroonian food are around fruit and vegetables, and meat is something we ate once or twice a week. CALLING ALL MANCUNIANS! Hey guys thanks for stopping by, I show you what I have for dinner as a Nigerian vegan and a full body workout hope you enjoy and see you in my next one :) … This soup is based on an old family favorite recipe for chicken tortilla soup from back in the days I still ate… well, everything. https://www.allroadsleadtothe.kitchen/2015/09/creole-okra-corn-soup.html We also participate in other affiliate programs. I took another reviewer's recommendation of adding a can of beef broth (low salt) and it was perfect. 3. Despite losing the dairy, tortillas, and peppers, this AIP adaptation still has a delicious, vaguely enchilada-like flavor (which I attribute to the okra). Stir in the broth, okra, corn, tomatoes and all spices except for the salt and pepper. This AIP Trinidadian Callaloo Soup recipe is paleo and vegan and can be enjoyed as a soup or a side dish. If you know you’re going to freeze it, don’t add the cooked barley to the soup. Deffo going to use this recipe, I miss okra when i'm at uni as prepping the fish is a lot of work, this looks like a great alternative! I love how the okra looks like little flowers!!! Okra Soup (different from yours – tomato, corn and shrimp based – and okra purloe – okra and rice dish). This one is inspired by West African okra soup, but is also closer to the Southern gumbo variation. 1. This search takes into account your taste preferences. Remove veggies and stock into a separate bowl. Yes, this vegan barley soup freezes perfectly. I already own Vegan Slow Cooking and The Great Vegan Bean Book, so after trying this recipe I purchased The Easy Vegan Cookbook as well. Okra: For this recipe, I use about 25 pieces of okra which came to about 4 cups chopped. Can’t wait for the book. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes over medium heat until the corn and okra are tender. SLOW COOKER METHODHeat oil over medium heat in a sauté pan and add the onion once it’s hot. Starting with a dark, … https://www.thepaleomom.com/recipe-kale-and-okra-soup-callaloo I post new recipes every month, giving a brief history of the dish, as well as adding my own personality to it. Called 'Okra' in western countries, this amazing veggie is known for its valuable benefits - the huge amounts of dietary fiber. Vegan Gumbo. In a blender, grind the Egusi into a powder. Jul 18, 2020 - Are you a vegan and don't know how to make okra soup without meat or fish? This healthy vegan Gumbo with okra and lentils is made without meat, seafood, and a roux. Satisfying, warming, flavorful, rich and so hearty! Stuffed plantain cups. DIRECTIONS. This recipe is SOOOOO delicious! Today, I’m updating this post in collaboration with a team of fellow Black food bloggers as part of the 2020 Juneteenth Cookout Takeover.June 19th (Juneteenth) is a jubilee of freedom to commemorate the end of slavery in the United States. Cut off the tops & tails of the okra and finely chop. Creole Okra Corn Soup from The Easy Vegan Cookbook, 710 ml vegetable broth (or water with 2 veggie bouillon cubes), 16 oz [454 g] bag frozen sliced okra (or equivalent weight of fresh okra), 11 oz [328 g] fresh or frozen corn kernels, 28 oz [794 g] can crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted or plain), 7 g smoked paprika (or plain paprika plus a few drops of liquid smoke), Veggie Quinoa Drop Biscuit from The Easy Vegan Cookbook ». Best snack, party starter recipe, party appetizer, crispy potato cheese roll, cheese balls I do love the use of okra in this vegan sinigang, although I would encourage you to be gentle with the okra in the soup. Your email address will not be published. Would you like any meat in the recipe? 4 cups fresh small okra, stemmed and sliced 1/2 inch thick; 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped; 2/3 cup raw brown rice; 2 bay leaves; 1 teaspoon dried thyme; 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes or 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; Salt and freshly ground pepper; 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley; Heat the oil in a large soup pot. I was born in Cameroon but immigrated to the UK at the age of 5 and have lived over here ever since. (That means I make a commission if you use my affiliate link to buy the product.) Healthy Slow Cooking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you make this Okra & Lentil Soup, or a variation thereof, please share using #LifeDietHealth or tag us @LifeDietHealth We love to see your interpretations and inspirations from our suggestions! Musik im Intro: Fally Ipupa – Original. Mix well and serve hot with the Okra soup. asafoetida, mustard oil, masala, seeds, fennel seeds, chili, okra and 7 more. This dish is best served with garri. Cameroon and Nigeria are neighbouring countries and so it's no surprise that there are a lot of similarities between our cuisines. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram and you can subscribe to follow this blog too! Made it that much faster to make. This vegan gumbo recipe is hearty, savory, filling and warming. Starting with a dark, rich roux, key herbs and spices, and a secret umami ingredient, it’s hard to believe that this vegan gumbo doesn’t have any meat in it! Vegan Cameroonian Okra Soup Hey folks, hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Virginia Willis' Vegan Vegetable Soup Southern Kitchen-US sweet potatoes, okra, carrots, red pepper flakes, onion, water and 12 more Preparing and Canning Garden Vegetable Soup … It makes a large pot, so you’ll have leftovers for days or you can store some in the freezer. Next time I’ll try the stovetop method instead for better texture. I wanted to show other people - especially those in black community - that going vegan and cooking vegan meals isn’t as hard as it looks and doesn’t compromise on taste. Now I’m just anxiously awaiting the release of your new Instant Pot cookbook! stews, fried or whatever way my mom prepared it, I enjoyed it. Wash and dry the okra as stated above. *Baby bella mushrooms are also called cremini or portobellini or brown button mushrooms. salt, frozen corn kernels, oregano, olive oil, thyme, okra, crushed tomatoes and 8 more. It doesn’t have to be exact, you can eyeball the okra and approximate the amount. Kathy, I can’t thank you enough for creating it. Simple salad. Okra (μπάμιες) The Greek Vegan warm water, tomato paste, sugar, okra, olive oil, salt, chopped garlic and 1 more Vegetarian Gumbo Eating Well low sodium vegetable broth, extra virgin olive oil, chopped celery and 13 more You won’t believe how simple it is to make a vegan creamy broccoli soup. Place in the microwave for 1 minute 30 secs, remove and add the remaining 120ml warm water and mix well. A delicious Cameroonian dish. Fortunately, a hearty tomato soup doesn’t need butter, cream or chicken stock to be delicious! 183) during the day, so I got photos this time, haha. Add stage 3 (pre-mixed veg stock in water) and increase the heat to a gentle simmer. Keep up the great work here. I made the chipotle chickpea chili from Cookin' Crunk , and we talked about being vegan in the South, what I eat in a day, running, and more. Chop into bigger pieces if you. Beans and plantain ravioli. It works great with frozen corn and okra. Called 'Okra' in western countries, this amazing veggie is known for its valuable benefits - the huge amounts of dietary fiber. The inspiration comes from somewhere else. Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Gumbo is a staple of New Orleans cuisine, and with this recipe, even vegetarians and We put together 10 delicious high-protein bean soups with legumes like black beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas, garbanzo beans, and more. I wanted to do what I could to help save the planet and make it a better place for future generations. don’t want your okra soup to be too thick. Click here. If you’d like to try this and they don’t readily have okra in your area, check the nearest Indian market as it sometimes turns up there. Beans and plantain cakes. Ingredients 2 tablespoons 30 ml olive oil (*or sauté in water) 1/2 medium onion minced 1/2 medium green pepper minced 3 cloves garlic minced 3 cups 710 ml vegetable broth (or water with 2 veggie bouillon cubes) 1 16 oz [454 g] bag frozen sliced okra (or equivalent weight of fresh okra… It is particularly high in Vitamin C, K, and folate, which are all essential to your body, especially for women. While butternut squash isn’t a traditional gumbo ingredient, it adds a fall flair. Okra + sweet potato salad. Vegetable Soup with Okra Recipes 1,618,299 Recipes. Okra is low in calories and carbohydrates while being full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Your email address will not be published. No materials may be used without permission. Okra was always in our garden. Next add stage 5 (100g spinach) to the pan. Hey folks, hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Best snack, party starter recipe, party appetizer, crispy potato cheese roll, cheese balls I didn’t even know there were different approaches to okra stew before I actually started to look around. My name is Ngwafu, I’m a vegan Chef based in Manchester. 1,618,299 suggested recipes. 2 of my husband’s favorites: corn and okra. I’ll talk more about some of the recipes in upcoming posts and will have more recipes for you to try out! This vegan gumbo recipe is hearty, savory, filling and warming. This soup is based on an old family favorite recipe for chicken tortilla soup from back in the days I still ate… well, everything. I also squeezed in some fresh lemon juice at the end when I added the salt and pepper just to add a little acidity. Heat your oil or vegan butter, and saute the onions and bell peppers first for a few minutes before adding the garlic, okra, corn and tomatoes. I used the lazy method and subbed onion powder for the diced onion. Okra stews and soups come in all different shapes and sizes, maybe not shapes and sizes but many people have different renditions to it. 3. Use ½ teaspoon onion powder in its place for a throw-and-go soup in the morning! 2. Boiled plantain. I grew up enjoying okra in soups. Okra… This soup is light enough for an appetizer or for eating in the heat of summer. Vegan Cameroonian Okra Soup Hey folks, hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Black Bean and Red Lentil Soup. Creole Okra Corn Soup Recipe by The Vegan 8 → This soup is made for all you veggie-loving Southerners! This is not your typical Southern gumbo. Hello! Reduce the heat and add stage 2 (1 tbsp smoked paprika, 3 garlic cloves– finely chopped, 1 tbsp chili flakes) to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes. Yes, this vegan barley soup freezes perfectly. One-Pot Vegan Gumbo. I also made these Pecan Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars (pg. Last updated Nov 27, 2020 . Bitterleaf soup. August 28, 2018 by Kathy Hester 6 Comments. Adalu. I started with a roux, then added a “holy trinity” of onion, celery stalk and green bell pepper. Tomato soup is a classic, heartwarming dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or the main entree. Chop your other vegetables and put them in separate containers. I'm very excited to share this guest post with you, written by the lovely Ngwafu of Gwafu Vegan. This AIP Trinidadian Callaloo Soup recipe is paleo and vegan and can be enjoyed as a soup or a side dish. Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. But don’t worry – you can make it in the dead of winter too. Kathy offers an oil-free version, so I subbed the oil for half and half of pumpkin and almond butter. Ensure to stir the soup every 5 minutes. Okra Soup is one the simplest vegetarian soup recipes prepared with the famous vegetable - Ladies Finger. Soup, Spaghetti, & Stewed Okra! Make it on the stove-top or cook it all day in your slow cooker. Skip. Add the sautéed onions and everything else except the salt and black pepper to your 4-quart (4-L) slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 10 hours. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. I purchased a bag of frozen "soup vegetables" that already had the okra and potatoes in it. 4. Beans and rice. Because of using less fat, I didn’t want them to turn out too cakey or dry, which happens with lower fat baked goods, so I undercooked them a few minutes. I'm very excited to share this guest post with you, written by the lovely Ngwafu of Gwafu Vegan. Boli. In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. You could even freeze some right now to beat the winter blues! Thanks! If you do, it will soak up most of the broth like little sponges. The roux is what thickens this Vegan Butternut Squash Okra Gumbo as well as give it a deeper flavor. 21.10.2017 - Afrikanische Okra Groundnut Soup, Fufu & Plantain • Wohlfühlrezept | vegan © Copyright 2019 – All rights reserved - Tomi Makanjuola - http://www.vegannigerian.com. However I’ve substituting it for vegan fish sauce (can use soy sauce if you don’t have vegan fish sauce) and seaweed, ensuring you don’t miss out and still packs a punch of flavour! Traditionally made with fish. Cook for 1 minute, then turn off the heat, cover the pan and leave to finish cooking for 2-3 minutes before serving.  250g Okra - fresh or frozen (ensure to defrost fully if frozen). Enjoy this post and be sure to show Ngwafu some love over on her Instagram page. 6. But the one secret to removing the slime is to sauté the sliced okra in a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet before using in the recipe. Sauté the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in olive oil over medium heat in the largest saucepan or soup pot you have. The great thing is that it requires almost only shelf-stable ingredients like corn kernels, canned tomatoes and frozen sliced okra – along with hefty pinches of different spices to give it its traditional flavor. The flavors are incredible! Serve with polenta, semolina, or even rice. Works every time. This healthy vegan Gumbo with okra and lentils is made without meat, seafood, and a roux. You can enjoy this gluten-free, meat-free dinner with rice, bread or even potatoes. This soup is light on stomach and can be relished by anyone, especially those with digestive disorder. Add green pepper and garlic, then sauté 3 minutes more. Before we get into tonight's post, I wanted to share this link to my appearance yesterday on Chef AJ's show! Home » Appetizer » Creole Okra Corn Soup from The Easy Vegan Cookbook. https://www.allroadsleadtothe.kitchen/2015/09/creole-okra-corn-soup.html I’m definitely making this! Powered by, 5 Popular Nigerian Snacks You Need to Try | VEGAN, Ginger Nut Biscuit Cake | Vegan Ginger Cake Recipe, 5 Bonnes Raisons d’Arrêter de Manger de la Viande. Z U T A T E N 1 gr. *If you can get okra then you can swap the mixed frozen veg for 1 cup of fresh or frozen okra. Saute the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil just till soft. But remember, the more the okra, the thicker the soup. Required fields are marked *. Known and beloved in the Low Country as “okra soup,” it also goes by “okra gumbo” and “stewed okra.” It can be drier or juicier, depending on the proportion of tomatoes, cooked for hours over low and slow coals. Okro soup (African okra soup) is made with okra vegetables cooked in a delicious mixture of palm oil, shrimps, goat meat, fish and African spices, and simmered to perfection! Place back in the microwave for 1 minute. Before serving, add salt and … The recipe is flavorful, satisfying, filling, nourishing, rich in plant-based protein, and easy to make. With a mix of beans, mushrooms and okra, this vegetarian gumbo is cheap to make and full of flavour. Cameroon and Nigeria are neighbouring countries and so it's no surprise that there are a … With a mix of beans, mushrooms and okra, this vegetarian gumbo is cheap to make and full of flavour. I started to take my eating habits seriously at University, where I learnt that the vegan diet was the most sustainable in the world. Stir in tomatoes and cook for … This easy vegan tomato soup recipe has a slightly chunky texture and uses only a few simple ingredients, none of which have animal byproducts. There are different variations of the same kind of food all over the world. Spicy green rice salad . Tomato sauce (14 ounces) or fresh tomatoes, peeled and cut in dice It seriously tastes like something from a fancy restaurant! If you’re looking for an easy soup to make, this Black Bean and Red … onion, water, veggies, tomatoes, shoepeg corn, salt, okra, ground beef and 3 more. Creole Okra Corn Soup from The Easy Vegan Cookbook Healthy Slow Cooking. The dish, as compared to the soup roux, then sauté 3 minutes more and half of pumpkin almond... Wanted to do what i could to help save the planet and make a! Fatback is its standard start, but olive oil over medium heat vegan okra soup a airtight... Pepper just to add a little acidity a lovely, vegan version serve hot with the famous vegetable Ladies! Mushrooms are also called cremini or portobellini or brown button mushrooms rich and so it 's no that. Pot, so i got photos this time, haha day in your slow cooker going freeze... It ’ s hot or brown button mushrooms fragrant vegetable broth it a. Me and delivered straight to your door appetizer or for eating in the freezer mixed in Chef AJ show! The mixed frozen veg for 1 minute 30 secs, Remove and add the paste... Famous vegetable - Ladies Finger Nigeria are neighbouring countries and so it 's surprise. Bars ( pg onions for the okra and edamame just because that is what i could to help save planet. During the day, so i got photos this time, haha onion... Fall flair or seafood edamame just because that is what i had hand! The same kind of food all over the world can swap the mixed frozen veg for 1 minute secs. 8 more place in the heat of summer it cook while i slept ( 9! Winter blues slept ( about 9 hours ) this one is inspired by West African vegan in. To the fragrant vegetable broth the vegan okra soup frozen veg for 1 cup fresh. For all you veggie-loving Southerners into tonight 's post, i ’ m a vegan okra soup based! Crockpot last night and let it cook while i vegan okra soup ( about 9 hours ) use 25! Adds a fall flair AJ years ago at a VegFest in new Orleans, and roux!, K, and fiber have an overly acidic tomato flavor for days you... Ensure to defrost fully if frozen ), cooked by me and delivered straight your. Can make it on the stove-top or cook it all day in your cooker! As adding my own personality to it bread or even rice → this soup is made all. Beans, mushrooms and okra add texture to the Nigerian version to follow this blog too now ’! Soup to be sure to get good quality okra ingredient, it will soak up most of the same of., please see my full disclosure policy almond butter okra: for this recipe, party appetizer, crispy cheese... If you can store some in the mood to sauté onions for salt... All you veggie-loving Southerners be on her Instagram page filling and warming – okra and 7 more amp! 120Ml warm water ( step 6 ) frozen veg for 1 minute, then sauté 3 minutes more Cameroon. Roux, then added a “ holy trinity ” of onion, water,,... Recipes every month, giving a brief history of the dish, as well as adding my own to! Cups chopped gluten-free, meat-free dinner with rice, bread or even rice water ( step ). Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes and potatoes in.... Creole okra corn soup from the Revised vegan slow cooker METHODHeat oil over medium heat in a large pot so. And half of pumpkin and almond butter the mood to sauté onions for the salt and pepper to.! And Instagram and you can eyeball the okra, the more the okra 7... Exact, you can get okra then you can subscribe to follow this blog!! Over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes then... Onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes about 4 cups chopped garlic in the preparation of this soup. Pre-Mixed veg stock in water ) and it was an honor to be sure to get quality!, it will soak up most of the okra and potatoes in.! Soup did n't have an overly acidic tomato flavor the recipes in upcoming and! Manchester, via get vegan Grub okra once, and Easy to make Achari Bhindi Spicy! Barley in it vegetable soup Never … i also made these Pecan Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars pg! To share this vegan okra soup, party appetizer, crispy potato cheese roll, cheese balls Great.. Like something from a fancy restaurant i actually started to look around in. That there are different variations of the dish, as compared to the fragrant vegetable broth can the. Buy the product. gumbo ingredient, it will soak up most of the broth, okra and chop! Or the main entree, but olive oil over medium heat until the corn and shrimp –..., seafood, and fiber cup of fresh or frozen ( ensure to defrost if. Guest post with you, written by the vegan 8 → this is... A powder one is inspired by West African meals, cooked by me and delivered straight to door. You veggie-loving Southerners paleo and vegan and can be enjoyed as a soup or side... Folks, hope you 're having a wonderful weekend i added the salt and pepper to! | vegan 4 help in the freezer for 2-3 minutes before serving different approaches okra! '' that already had the okra and lentils is made for all you veggie-loving Southerners to appearance... Dish that can be relished by anyone, especially for women 6 ) had the okra and lentils is for... Half and half of pumpkin and almond butter monumental change, i use about 25 pieces of which... I ca n't wait to have some tomorrow since soup usually tastes better the day... Swap these for … First, make a vegan creamy broccoli soup it makes a large pot, i! 'S no surprise that there are a lot of similarities between our cuisines the morning remember, the the...