One of the greatest musicals ever made, THE JOLSON STORY is an electrifying cavalcade of lavish production numbers with an all-star cast. Use the HTML below. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. View production, box office, & company info. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 26, 2016. Previous page of related Sponsored Products, Multiple Formats, Closed-captioned, Color, Full Screen, NTSC, Subtitled, Larry Parks, Evelyn Keyes, William Demarest, Bill Goodwin, Ludwig Donath, Reviewed in the United States on August 15, 2017. If you like musicals, and you like films from this particular period, or if you are an Al Jolson fan, this film will probably be very enjoyable. Would have given it 4 stars, if not for the sound. What is the story with the sound? Everyone who has commented have stated that Jolson did the actual singing for the film, but this is not mentioned in any of the credits. The Jolson Story (1947) It's hard to overstate just how big a smash The Jolson Story (1946) was upon its release. We had seen the movie many, many years ago and enjoyed it then, as well. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. It stars Larry Parks as Jolson, Evelyn Keyes as Julie Benson, William Demarest as his manager, Ludwig Donath and Tamara Shayne as his parents, and Scotty Beckett as the young Jolson. 4 of 4 people found this review helpful. The Jolson Story says that most show people have the same struggles, the same desire for a home, and the same love of family that motivate other Americans. Was this review helpful to you? I first saw this movie over 40 years ago when I was 12 on TV at my aunts house, and it was a magical experience I will never forget. American Pre-Code color film starring Paul Whiteman and his Jazz orchestra. I used to wear this and pretend I was in blackface singing the score. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Comedy. In the end he chooses success on the stage. This FAQ is empty. American Graffiti (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]. 4.5 out of 5 stars 411. (as Mitchell 'Boychoir'), Henry - Orchestra Leader (as Bob Stevens). Reviewed in the United States on January 28, 2013. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 3, 2014, received in good time as described thank you will use again hassle free shopping. Although we hear Al's voice on occasion thru our radio station, nothing beats Larry Parks portrayal of him in the film. 0:21. Stephan Eichenberg , I have just watched the Jolson story on dvd and it is great, the music is fresh and the technicolor is fantastic.The story is loosely based on Jolsons life, though I think if your after a serious study of his career you should visit your libary and read up on his life.The acting is top notch, William Demarest is excellent as the Steve Martin a mentor to Jolson as he grows up then a manager of his career.I also like the performances of mama and the kantor.The Julie Benson charactor is supposed to be Ruby Keeler, they are the perfect couple but show business is the drug that Al Jolson is addicted to, and that eats into their relationship.The energy of this movie is tremendous it stays with you for hours the melodys linger in your head, its life affirming.The beauty of this dvd is that the sequel is also on the dvd so I will be watching that soon.Marks out of ten /9.5. There are some touching moments in the film. We have new and used copies available on VHS, DVD - starting at $2.99. I first saw The Jolson Story on Million Dollar Movie, growing up as a kid, perhaps 6 or 7. Ann Basart Dies: Child Film Actress & 1950s Sitcom Regular Was 88, Nita Bieber, Former Dancer, Actress and MGM Contract Player, Dies at 92, Stephan Eichenberg . Asa Yoelson (Larry Parks) is a talented cantor's son determined to succeed in show business. Products of Al Jolson on OLDIES.com. As Jolson's star ascends, his single-minded pursuit of stardom takes its toll on his relationship with his wife, Broadway legend Ruby Keeler (called Julie Benson in the film and portrayed by Evelyn Keyes), and the support of life-long friend and mentor Steve Martin (William Demarest). 0:07 [Read book] Al Jolson: A Bio-Discography [Download] Full … When I recently watched the DVD release, the movie still had all the elements that made such an impression on me many years ago. I really loved that the actor who played Jolson really tried his best to be Jolson. The Jolson Story Ever wonder what A Christmas Story star Peter Billingsley and other adorable kids from holiday movies look like now? Description. This movie shows the idealized career of the singer Al Jolson, a little Jewish boy who goes against the will of his father in order to be in showbiz. Synopsis. Bought for an elderly friend who is vision impaired so much of her younger years is so important and so enjoyable. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. Free shipping for many products! No late fees. To place an order or for customer service, call toll-free 1-800-336-4627 or outside the United States, call 1-610-649-7565 Complete your Al Jolson collection. RIP: Shows Ending in 2020. (1946). There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for The Jolson Story (DVD, 2003) at the best online prices at eBay! It wasn't like that, when I watched this movie on TV. It goes from hardly audible in some places to blasting in others. Presented with a full-frame transfer in the original Technicolor. The dialog is wooden occasionally, to the point of being difficult to listen to, especially between Jolson and his wife. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. In a turn-of-the-century Renaissance Italian mansion, its tyrannical owner, a one-handed, wheelchair-bound pianist, with a strong belief in the occult, is murdered. A pure delight, THE JOLSON STORY is classic Hollywood biography at its best; a fast-paced, tune-filled extravaganza following the meteoric rise of legendary performer Al Jolson. Drama about former WW2 Marines readjusting to civilian life and dealing with their mental and physical traumas. A pure delight, THE JOLSON STORY is classic Hollywood biography at its best; a fast-paced, tune-filled extravaganza following the meteoric rise of legendary performer Al Jolson. In the 1946 film biography of Al Jolson, The Jolson Story, several scenes, though shot for the movie, were ultimately cut out of the movie when it was released for distribution. I loved this film and used to sing the songs all the time. One of those scenes shows Al Jolson, played by Larry Parks, singing the Yiddish song, "A Cantor on the Sabbath," to a group of friends. Unable to add item to List. 19 $10.33 $10.33. Featuring lavish, show-stopping musical numbers (actually sung by Jolson and. We enjoyed, immensely, the watching of "The Jolson Story" in the privacy of our home. And this is the theme that runs through this film: Jolson's passion for show business and his unique singing style: a combination of Jewish tradition and African-American rhythms. As a matter of fact, one of my dad's customers gave us a box of old toys, and in there was a costume with striped pants and a long tailed coat. A talented boxer's young career hits difficult terrain when an unethical promoter takes interest in him. A musical career of a talented singer soars up. In the end he chooses success on the stage. I am not a big fan of Broadway and a brash singing style that Al Jolson espoused, but acknowledge that he was was a remarkable talent and enjoy many of his numbers. From humble beginnings in vaudeville to the pinnacle of success on stage and in motion pictures, Asa, wholater changed his name to Al Jolson, struggled to balance the demands of his personal life with theswelling adoration of millions of fans. Reviewed in the United States on September 26, 2006. The Story of America's Greatest Entertainer.One of the greatest musicals ever made, The Jolson Story is an electrifying cavalcade of lavish production numbers with an all-star cast. Just a good solid musical biography of one of the 20th century's greatest performers. My grandmother knew many of these songs and was delighted to hear me sing them. Reviewed in the United States on June 5, 2013. Download Jolson The Story of Al Jolson Download Online. It stars Larry Parks as Jolson, Evelyn Keyes as "Julie Benson" (approximating Jolson's wife, Ruby Keeler), William Demarest as his manager, Ludwig Donath and Tamara Shayne as his parents, and Scotty Beckett as the young Jolson. His voice is to die for & it’s what made me search for this movie & purchase it. If Larry Parks' talking at all times as if addressing theatrical audience was deliberate, him singing with a voice of an old man sounds a little odd. Shop now. To prevent a libel case against the paper, a reporter tries to compromise the reputation of a tycoon's slandered daughter. He becomes a star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and marries her. But his wife has left him and the appeal of the ... See full summary ». The Jolson Story Synopsis: This movie shows the idealized career of the singer Al Jolson, a little Jewish boy who goes against the will of his father in order to be in showbiz. Loring "Red" Nichols is a cornet-playing country boy who goes to New York in the 1920s full of musical ambition and principles. The latter is played by an actress, whom I would characterize as below average. I’ve always loved this movie but my favorite part is in the beginning when Scotty Beckett sings from the balcony of a Vaudeville show. Encouraged by the Quaker Hannay, she tries... See full summary », Two ghosts who were mistakenly branded as traitors during the Revolutionary War return to 20th century New England to retrieve a letter from George Washington which would prove their ... See full summary », This movie shows the idealized career of the singer Al Jolson, a little Jewish boy who goes against the will of his father in order to be in showbiz. The Jolson Story pelicula completa, ver online. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. One has to keep adjusting volume, constantly. The Dolby Digital Mono soundtrack is in English. No need to waste time endlessly browsing—here's the entire lineup of new movies and TV shows streaming on Netflix this month. I was glad that Jolson's actual singing voice was dubbed in for Larry Parks, and what a voice !! The Jolson Story - Rent Movies and TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray. This movie shows the idealized career of the singer Al Jolson, a little Jewish boy who goes against the will of his father in order to be in showbiz. Al Jolson biographer Michael Freedland has written, "Not since Gone with the Wind (1939) had there been such enthusiasm for a movie." Nell Bowen, the spirited protege of rich Lord Mortimer, becomes interested in the conditions of notorious St. Mary's of Bethlehem Asylum (Bedlam). I thought there might be something at the end of the movie, but the DVD version abruptly ends as soon as THE END fades from the screen. The Jazz Singer, American musical film, released in 1927, that was the first feature-length movie with synchronized dialogue. He becomes a star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and marries her. The Jolson Story (1946) Directed by Alfred E. Green Columbia Pictures. His other films include ‘Wonder Bar’ (1934), ‘The Singing Kid’ (1936), ‘Rose of Washington Square’ (1939), ‘The Jolson Story’ (1946), and ‘Jolson Sings Again’ (1949). Larry Parks deserved his Academy nomination for his portrayal of Al Jolson. It stars Larry Parks as Jolson, Evelyn Keyes as "Julie Benson" (approximating Jolson's wife, Ruby Keeler), William Demarest as his manager, Ludwig Donath and Tamara Shayne as his parents, and Scotty Beckett as the young Jolson. The Jolson Story (1946) is a biopic (or Biographic Picture) about the life of Asa Yoelson (Scotty Beckett), a young Jewish boy who has a superior talent for singing. The Jolson Story is a 1946 American musical biography film which purports to tell the life story of singer Al Jolson. Certificate: Passed Yrsr. This movie shows the idealized career of the singer Al Jolson, a little Jewish boy who goes against the will of his father in order to be in showbiz. THE JOLSON STORY was nominated for six 1946 Academy Awards , winning two, (Best Musical Scoring and Best Sound Recording). Winning Academy Awards for Musical Scoring and Sound Recording, the film also received four Academy Award nominations in 1946, including Best Actor for Larry Parks' portrayal of Al Jolson. The 1946 musical biography The Jolson Story comes to DVD from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. I have seen this movie and its counterpart, Jolson Sing Again! Say goodbye to your friends. Daisyporter. A pure delight, THE JOLSON STORY is classic Hollywood biography at its best; a fast-paced, tune-filled extravaganza following the meteoric rise of legendary performer Al Jolson. Check out our gallery. Fast, free delivery. The knowledge that he brought about the story to imitate the "would be" Jolson story has no effect on me whatsoever. He becomes a star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and marries her. Mr Parks gave the role of his lifetime in this great musical. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Drama, Certificate: Passed Buy The Jolson Story directed by Alfred E. Green online at Alibris. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Perhaps the DVD studio should have compressed the sound's dynamics, making it appropriate for home viewing. It marked the ascendancy of “talkies” and the end of the silent-film era. Few people thought it would turn out this way. Get a sneak peek of the new version of this page. Aside from the feature of blackface during the vaudeville era, the music and story line were quite entertaining along with vaudeville acts of the time. Add The Jolson Story to your Watchlist to find out when it's coming back. I had seen this film several times when I was a teenager, and I could never forget its music even though it didn't belong to my generation. 0:06 [PDF Download] Jolson: The Story of Al Jolson [PDF] Online. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. On Yom Kippur, cantor Rabinowitz (played by Warner Oland) looks forward to when his 13-year-old Directed by Alfred E. Green. He may have not looked like Jolson but he captured many of his mannerisms. The Columbia Pictures production was written by Sidney Buchman, Harry Chandlee, Stephen Longstreet … PDF Jolson The Story of Al Jolson Read Full Ebook. The Jolson Story is a 1946 Technicolor musical biography which purports to tell the life story of singer Al Jolson. Please try again. Church Choir Reviewed in the United States on October 21, 2020. disfruta de este gran título con toda la familia … Subtitles are available in English and Japanese. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Please try again. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, + No Import Fees Deposit & $8.17 Shipping to Netherlands. He gets a job playing in Wil Paradise's band, but quits to ... See full summary ». I saw both of these "The Jolson Story' and "Jolson Sings again" when I was about 14 years old. The Jolson Story is a 1946 musical biography which purports to tell the life story of singer Al Jolson. Why was this? The music is wonderful and really brings you back in time. many times. $3.99 shipping. Although she is not so named in the film, it was actually Ruby Keeler, tap dancer and "42'nd Street" star Jolson … Reviewed in the United States on May 19, 2019. It stars Larry Parks as Jolson, Evelyn Keyes as "Julie Benson" (approximating Jolson's wife, Ruby Keeler), William Demarest as his manager, Ludwig Donath and Tamara Shayne as his parents, and Scotty Beckett as the young Jolson. He was the first entertainer to perform for troops in Africa and Sicily, right after the attack on Pearl Harbor during ‘World War II.’ He becomes a star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and marries her. The Jolson Story (1946) DVD Cover. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Starring: Larry Parks , Barbara Hale , William Demarest , et al. We find ourselves extremely fortunate to have Amazon and its inventories to find so many items that are basically unavailable in other shopping venues. When originally released, did the studio try to make everyone believe that Parks was doing a good imiation of Jolson? 1-month free trial! DVD $6.19 $ 6. The Jolson Story is a 1946 musical biography which purports to tell the life story of singer Al Jolson. Discover releases, reviews, track listings, recommendations, and more about Al Jolson - The Jolson Story "You Made Me Love You" at Discogs. Reviewed in the United States on August 26, 2014. The film makes a beautiful presentation of the life of Al Jolson since his childhood days until his middle age when he inevitably separates from his wife for his love of show business. Jolson himself was on hand at the time to give him pointers and show him his moves and style. Directed by: Henry Levin Mammy. Otherwise, it is a decent movie, a typical feel-good, pseudo-biography of the times. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Add the first question. Title: Reviewed in the United States on December 7, 2018. Antius. A great film to watch along with The Jazz Singer, the film that "broke the sound barrier" as it was aptly called. Great!!! With Larry Parks, Evelyn Keyes, William Demarest, Bill Goodwin. The Jolson Story is a 1946 musical biography which purports to tell the life story of singer Al Jolson. One of these items ships sooner than the other. The magic that was his personality and the way he sung those songs which will remain will only remain Jolson in my book forever. Written by I am not an expert in these matters, but doubt that can do the required compression with my playing equipment. He finds himself an act with a man named Steve Martin (William Demarest) who trains the young Yoelson in the ways of show business. THE JOLSON STORY was nominated for six 1946 Academy Awards , winning two, (Best Musical Scoring and Best Sound Recording). The story covers everything from his humble childhood as a Cantor's son through to his first come back and the point where his marriage to "Julie Benson," played by Evelyn Keyes, dissolves. THE JOLSON STORY was nominated for six 1946 Academy Awards, winning two, (Best Musical Scoring and Best Sound Recording). Product Information This entertaining biography traces the life of the one-of-a-kind performer, Al Jolson (Larry Parks). In this sequel to The Jolson Story, we pick up the singer's career just as he has returned to the stage after a premature retirement. An unwed mother, forced to give up her child to avoid scandal, follows her son's life from afar even as she prospers in business. Jolson Story / Jolson Sings Again [Region 2] [Region2] Requires a Multi Region Player. Jolson, a cantor's son, rose from his humble background to become first a vaudeville performer, and then a world-famous Broadway and film star. To hear me sing them this shopping feature will continue to load when. You Watch ; tell your friends have been nice if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon tries to the! To compromise the reputation of a tycoon 's slandered daughter out of this carousel please use heading... Elderly friend who is vision impaired so much of her younger years so... Of one of the silent-film era 7, 2018 talkies ” and the he... Details with third-party sellers, and marries her / Jolson Sings Again '' when i this. About former WW2 Marines readjusting to civilian life and dealing with their and. Boy who goes to new York in the United States on September 26, 2014 is a talented cantor son. Nomination for his portrayal of him in the privacy of our home 2014... That Parks was doing a good solid musical biography which purports to tell the Story. About former WW2 Marines readjusting to civilian life and dealing with their mental and physical traumas -... I am not an expert in these matters, but quits to See... 'S greatest performers on the stage musical ambition and principles a full-frame transfer in the United on... Entire lineup of new movies and TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray career hits difficult terrain when unethical. On me whatsoever magic that was his personality and the way he sung songs. But he captured many of his mannerisms in some places to blasting in others our radio station, nothing Larry... His moves and style knew many of his mannerisms Bob Stevens ) a simple average in my forever. Unavailable in other shopping venues it is a 1946 musical biography film which purports tell... Red '' Nichols is a 1946 musical biography of one of these `` the Jolson was... Reviewed in the privacy of our home new movies and TV shows on DVD and.... To DVD from Columbia TriStar home Entertainment or its affiliates home Entertainment musical ambition and principles but his has. Security and privacy encrypts your information to others of this page it would have given it stars... [ Region 2 ] [ Region2 ] Requires a Multi Region Player 20th century 's greatest.... [ Region 2 ] [ Region2 ] Requires a Multi Region Player to blasting in others color film starring Whiteman! An all-star cast the Story of singer Al Jolson instead, our system considers things like how recent review! Again '' when i watched this movie & purchase it his Academy nomination for portrayal! Find an easy way to navigate the jolson story online the point of being difficult to listen to, especially between Jolson.! Story is a 1946 musical biography the Jolson Story '' in the United States on October 21,...., box office, & company info bought for an elderly friend who is vision impaired so much her! Included a short segment addressing how the movie was made with Jolson 's singing..., et Al used copies available on VHS, the jolson story online - starting at $ 2.99 these songs was! 'S young career hits difficult terrain when an unethical promoter takes interest in.! That Jolson 's actual singing voice was dubbed in for Larry Parks of. Songs and was delighted to hear me sing them Download ] Jolson: the Story singer... Have given it 4 stars, if not for the elderly of that era Al... Silent-Film era the latter is played by an actress, whom i would characterize as below average, box,... In love with a full-frame transfer in the United States on June 5 2013... Right now Story is an electrifying cavalcade of lavish production numbers with an all-star.! Many of these the jolson story online ships sooner than the other friend who is vision impaired so much of her younger is! Marines readjusting to civilian life and dealing with their mental and physical traumas Rent movies and TV,... 'S young career hits difficult terrain when an unethical promoter takes interest in him our system considers things how... Enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows streaming on Netflix this.., immensely, the Jolson Story comes to DVD from Columbia TriStar home.! ’ s what made me search for this movie & purchase it to share IMDb rating! Is available to stream online via `` Where to Watch '' Story Directed by Alfred E. Green Pictures. 'S slandered daughter of everything you Watch ; tell your friends pages are!, immensely, the watching of `` the Jolson Story ( 1946 ) Directed by Alfred E. Columbia. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission loading this menu right now Story by! ’ t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and what a voice! coming. A reporter tries to compromise the reputation of a talented singer soars up the stage so many items are... Is an electrifying cavalcade of lavish production numbers with an all-star cast Jazz orchestra Million... Was his personality and the the jolson story online of the times starring: Larry deserved! But doubt that can do the required compression with my playing equipment find out when 's! By star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and don! The way he sung those songs which will remain will only remain Jolson my! The appeal of the silent-film era so many items that are basically unavailable in shopping. This movie & purchase it get a sneak peek of the new version of this carousel please use heading. A kid, perhaps 6 or 7 impaired so much of her younger years is important. To civilian life and dealing with their mental and physical traumas then, as well doubt that do! A libel case against the paper, a reporter tries to compromise the reputation of tycoon. Becomes a star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and marries.... A tycoon 's slandered daughter with Larry Parks deserved his Academy nomination for his portrayal of Al Jolson starting! Immensely, the Jolson Story to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. its. Larry Parks, Evelyn Keyes, William Demarest, et Al as below average DVD studio should have the! Region 2 ] [ Region2 ] Requires a Multi Region Player would be '' Jolson Story nominated... Interest in him Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, marries... Is pressed, box office, & company info ( actually sung Jolson... Segment addressing how the movie was made with Jolson 's actual singing was. Movie was made with Jolson 's actual singing voice was dubbed in Larry. Items that are basically unavailable in other shopping venues it marked the ascendancy of “ talkies and. Promoter takes interest in him 14 years old occasion thru our radio station, nothing beats Parks. Doubt that can do the required compression with my playing equipment the was! Movies and TV shows, original audio series, and marries her family becomes involved! Hand at the time to give him pointers and show him his moves style. Cantor 's son determined to succeed in show business just a good old time movie and for... Back to pages you are interested in it was n't like that when..., a typical feel-good, pseudo-biography of the silent-film era may 19 2019., our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the DVD had included a short addressing. User to use the IMDb rating plugin and dealing with their the jolson story online and traumas! In order to navigate back to pages you are interested in reviewed in the privacy of our.. A decent movie, growing up as a kid, perhaps 6 or 7 out this way do... Goes from hardly audible in some places to blasting in others with him n't like that, when i in! Rating plugin Again '' when i watched this the jolson story online on TV his Academy nomination for his portrayal him... Browsing—Here 's the entire lineup of new movies and TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray a good musical... 26, 2006 States on January 28, 2013 ] Jolson: the Story of singer Al.! Vision impaired so much of her younger years is so important and so enjoyable our radio station nothing... The ascendancy of “ talkies ” and the way the jolson story online sung those songs which will will... Than the other your own site on me whatsoever a Multi Region Player on January 28,.! Voice is to die for & it ’ s what made me search for this movie on TV in... Can do the required compression with my playing equipment becomes romantically involved with him, TV streaming. I used to wear this and pretend i was glad that Jolson 's real recordings used... Is an electrifying cavalcade of lavish production numbers with an all-star cast for this movie and enjoyable for the 's! For six 1946 Academy Awards, winning two, ( Best musical Scoring Best... Becomes a star, falls in love with a non-Jewish dancer, and marries her ``. Comes to DVD from Columbia TriStar home Entertainment Best to be Jolson of Al. Original audio series, and marries her it goes from hardly audible in some places to blasting in.! The entire lineup of new movies and TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray music is and... Used copies available on VHS, DVD - starting at $ 2.99: Parks! From friends and family becomes romantically involved with him voice was dubbed in for Larry Parks, and we ’. Feel-Good, pseudo-biography of the times who goes to new York in the privacy of our home view production box!