We’ve added mGAMe to the list. Need help with your server? This Linux distribution comes with tools that support multiple types of emulation so you can play all sorts of games right after you complete your install. Have a look at Microsoft Store, you won’t find only Ubuntu there, you will find Fedora, Suse, Debian. They revert to open source and cause all sorts of problems. If you are new to Linux and want to install Linux on your older hardware then Peppermint is a good choice for you. Maybe Linux Mint as a game bundle would be a great option? Supports Flash and Java (great for online, browser-based games). You can turn any computer into a console since Lakka doesn’t have a lot of requirements. Play Linux comes with NVIDIA and AMD drivers support. Linux Lite Another lightweight distro from the Linux family, Linux Lite. BTW I use Arch. It seems that the Ubuntu based distros have a nasty habit of playing with video drivers. Related: 10 Popular Windows Apps for Linux Users. Don’t be. Steam, PlayOnLinux, Lutris, Minecraft, Editing Tools, and a bunch of other emulators are already installed. With the use of Xfce and the inclusion of a full complement of software, Linux Lite makes for an outstanding distribution for new users, working with old hardware. I just dropped Mint after ~5 years. Rolling release – you’ll get the latest updates and latest software all the time. "Can by optimized to any given CPU by using proper compile flags" is the primary reason people pick Gentoo Linux over the competition. Linux desktop distributions are fast becoming suitable and acceptable operating systems for gaming purposes, enabling users to play so many popular and exciting, though not all games that you can find on Windows or Mac OS X including Linux games. Peppermint uses the LXDE desktop environment that is lightweight and easy to use. However, you need to update it. You may be into retro games, which is where this distro comes to play: Although it’s based on Linux (kernel), it doesn’t have any desktop environment and you can’t really use it for anything other than turning a computer into a retro gaming console. Quite similar to the default Ubuntu, this distro requires: If you’re already familiar with Ubuntu, go with this distro. Went looking on SparkyLinux web site and cannot see it. Wine, Play On Linux, Steam etc. Download Fedora – Games Spin. Let’s move on to the next distro on our list: It’s not the default Ubuntu, but it’s a distro based on Ubuntu. Here’s something extra you can explore when it comes to Linux gaming: Which distro do you use? Visit their official website for download/installation instructions and FAQ: Gaming doesn’t have to be all 2020 and bleeding-edge. A great, more lightweight rolling-release distro for gaming. Now, you have dozens of distros pre-optimized for gaming and gamers. A great way to go back in time and play the good old retro games. It can run from a USB drive. The distro is optimized for gaming and ready to use via a live DVD/USB. However, if you’re already familiar with Fedora or if you like the XFCE desktop environment, this distro would be perfect for you. Here’s The Catch. Has everything you’d need pre-installed out of the box. It comes pre-installed with Steam and it’s based on Debian. Wanna turn any computer into a Linux gaming machine? It has all the tools you need pre-installed. Your email address will not be published. Thank you! Zorin OS Gaming is a free Linux distribution, a flavor of the well known Zorin OS project specifically designed for gamers. Linux Lite makes the transition to a linux based operating system by offering a full, Microsoft compatible Office suite, familiar software like Firefox, Chrome, Teamviewer, VLC as well as full system back up tools, a comprehensive - easy to follow Help Manual to guide you on your journey, Steam so you can keep playing your Windows games and so much more familiar software. I really like Linux Mint. But you might not get all the latest and popular Windows games on Linux, for e.g., PES 2015.The reason, in my opinion, is that Linux has less than 2% of desktop market share and these numbers are demotivati… We’ve updated our post and included Solus, I miss Manjaro or any other arch based one in this mix. batocera.linux is another live Linux gaming distro similar to Lakka.tv that you can use for retro gaming. To me, it’s the best distro for retrogaming (by far!). An Ubuntu-based Linux distro customized for gaming but just like SparkyLinux mentioned above, it comes with Steam, Wine, Lutris, and PlayOnLinux. Using it every day, fast, very stable and not for all users (I mean Gentoo Linux is really more for PowerUsers than usual Ubuntu user), you can’t say such thing here dude, you will get burned alive, I used to like Ubuntu until I found out that on March 30, 2016 Canonical announced their partnership with Microsoft. A relatively newer distribution, it offers a pleasant gaming experience, thanks … With the feedback and requests we got from our Best Linux Distros for Gaming list, we had to do another list of the best lightweight Linux distros. You can still use the default Ubuntu and install Play on Linux, Wine and Steam or any other game you’d want to, but it would not be as optimized for gaming as Ubuntu GamePack is. I've written repeatedly about Valve's Proton initiative, which lets Steam gamers on Linux play literally thousands of … The login page will open in a new tab. Linux Lite is a 'gateway operating system'. About Stream OS or using big picture, you can add programs as if it where games, so adding some terminal, and or GUI for packet manager, you can add software to the system, and after it to the Steam library with the +. https://www.supergamer.x10host.com is the website. Nov 2019 – What happened to SparkyLinux – GameOver Edition? Steam, PlayOnLinux, Lutris, Minecraft, Editing Tools, and a bunch of other emulators are already installed. Wii, PS2), You don’t need to stop it and shut it down properly, it behaves like a real console, You can use an USB flash drive or SD card. Best Linux Gaming Distros We Recommend. Linux, Web Hosting, and Everything Else in Between. Based on Ubuntu, this distro would be perfect for beginners that previously used Ubuntu. Today we will make a list of the best Linux gaming distros, which is solely pre-optimized for the game. https://os.fricesoft.net/juegos-compatibles-con-friceos-3-0/, This is an interesting read: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/. Ready to play retro games, no installation needed. Though you can still use it, we wouldn’t recommend using it. How to Install Rocket.Chat on Ubuntu and Use it on Your WordPress, https://thishosting.rocks/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/lakka.webm, http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/, Debian vs Ubuntu: Compared as a Desktop and as a Server, Ubuntu 18.04 – New Features, Release Date & More, The main feature that matters when choosing a distro for gaming is, Ready to play games without needing to install any additional software, Free and open source (apart from Steam itself, which is proprietary), Support for many graphic cards, controllers and other gaming-related hardware, 2 GHz or more processor (64-bit recommended). Linux Mint is ranked 2nd while Linux Lite is ranked 24th. There’s an official Steam integration for Solus which will greatly help you with installing and configuring steam on your Linux system. You mentioned Wine, Steam and PlayOnLinux but I think it’s important to know about Crossover as well because they actually created Wine. Leave a comment below! We’ll leave their spot here for archive purposes, but there are other actively maintained alternatives if you’re looking for a gaming distro. My question is in the title. Gentoo Linux and Steam. Derived from Ubuntu, Game Drift Linux is created for hardcore gamers. The distribution is still in Beta condition but quite stable. Gaming On Linux: Better Than Ever, But Never Up To Date. All the distros listed here are well tested and handpicked the best by our team. Which means using your Windows gaming PC to play on another Linux machine on the same LAN. Yes, it is lightweight and one of the fastest Linux distros but it is also very beginner-friendly, and aesthetic. mGAMe, which is based on Manjaro, which is based on Arch Linux, is a rolling-release gaming distro with everything you need pre-installed. If you can run Ubuntu desktop, you can run Game Drift Linux. Nice to see Batocera making it into the top 10. 7. SparkyLinux is a Linux distribution created on the “testing” branch of Debian. This distro is optimised for everyday use and contains a large set of native-running Linux games and some demos of proprietary games. Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu. Need a full-featured Linux distro for gaming, media, browsing and general use? You can use the Linux distro via Live DVD/US. The notable feature of this lite Linux distro is its size — the 12 MB graphical Linux desktop runs entirely in memory — so after booting, you can remove the live CD/USB and still use the distro. Although not the most lightweight Linux distro for gaming, it doesn’t require much. While gaming on operating systems like Ubuntu Linux is … Fedora Games Spin We use only one extra repo on top of Arch Linux repos placing us very close to Arch Linux without having to install the system with CLI. Red Star OS is the best option. What I meant here is that you can get plenty of popular games on Linux such as Counter Strike, Metro Last Night etc. Required fields are marked *, https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=241837. Garuda Linux is a rolling release distro based on Arch Linux which ensures always getting the latest software updates. Play Linux is another Ubuntu-based Linux for gaming. One of the best looking Linux distros out there today, especially with its flagship desktop environment Budgie. Recently this year, Solus became a rolling release distro, which means that you’ll get the latest software with all the latest updates. By default, SteamOS only has Steam installed, but you can activate the “desktop mode” and you’ll get a fully-featured desktop OS where you can run other applications besides Steam and games. Those who are looking for a lightweight OS that takes low resources to run and the rest of the resource can dedicate to gaming; this Linux Lite is the ideal source for your needs. Did we miss something? In this video, I will compare the speed of Lubuntu 19.04 to Linux Lite 4.6! The Linux distribution is based on Linux Lite and Ubuntu 16.04 and it works with 64bit. Tiny Core Linux is the extremely lightweight operating system based on a recent Linux kernel, BusyBox, Tiny X, Fltk, and Flwm. You can even use a Raspberry Pi to run Lakka. (By the way, I don’t see Fedora in W10 store; not that it would matter anyhow.). I don’t mean to disrespect your choices, so I respectfully declare that your list is shit upgrades over the past 5 years. Linux Console. It’s based on the Linux kernel, but it’s independent of any other distro like Ubuntu or Fedora. Actually, some of them fit both our categories. I run NVidea for my large monitor and Intel onboard for laptop monitor. At least not as much as SteamOS. Need web hosting support? Compatible with various joysticks/gamepads, Huge collection of games from built-in Steam game store, Supports Nvidia graphics cards (you need to enable this feature by referring the, Does not require modifications to your hard disk, Limited software support for Raspberry Pi and Odroid. Has thousands of games already pre-installed, Stable, but not with the latest software and doesn’t have pre-installed drivers for all hardware, 256 MB of RAM memory (some games need more than that – 500-1000MB recommended), 20 GB of space for installation on a hard drive (30GB recommended). Download SteamOS. However, if you have an older machine, SteamOS is not recommended, as it has quite a lot of hardware requirements: Visit their official website for download/installation instructions and FAQ: Everything’s set up out of the box. Intel HD graphics/AMD Radeon 8500 for Steam games and any other GPU for other games. Check our guide to the best Linux laptops to buy in […], After our CentOS vs Ubuntu comparison and the requests we get, it’s finally time to compare Debian and Ubuntu. The distro is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Lite and only works with 64bit. SuperGamer has a new release is still active and based on 20.04 with the latest release. This is an up-to-date list with any info you’d need. The new v4 of SuperGamer was recently released and no longer includes some open source games pre-installed, but you can easily install them, or install an app like Steam. They all are Microsoft puppets. (Updated Feb 2016: Read the latest.) It uses the LXDE desktop environment and it has everything you’d need already pre-installed. Sure, there are other similar lists our there, but this one has up-to-date info and we’ve personally tried and tested (almost) every distro on our old laptops. I’ve had to spend hours after (6?) Hi, I decided to be an early adopter of Linux before the people mass jump to in in 2020 after Win 7 gets axed (well, only on my laptop for now, to get used to it more). It’s 2020 now. Any supported CPU, at least 2.4GHz for some games. Visit their official website for download/installation instructions and FAQ: Actively developed to also support office software, graphics software, emulators and more. 2. I would think that their work one the LSI (linux Steam Integration) would be enough to merit a mention here. So just about any old PC/laptop can run it without any issues. Linux Lite depends upon the Xfce Desktop Environment (Figure 1) and includes the likes of LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, GIMP, GNOME Disks, and much more. This page is powered by a knowledgeable community that helps you make an informed decision. It is specifically developed to ease Windows users – particularly those with old machines – into the world of Linux. Linux Console is a very lightweight, youth-focused Linux distro to install on your PC, gaming console, or servers to play games. Play them without installing a distro. VGA capable of 1024×768 screen resolution. 5. No hate here for Mint, just that I use Linux as my sole work OS and don’t have time to fix other people’s mistakes. Visit their official website for download/installation instructions and support via their forums: Feeling nostalgic for the good old games? If you’ve used Fedora (or CentOS) before, either for a server or for your desktop computer, try this Fedora spin. Luckily, Fedora also has a gaming flavor (spin): Fedora – Games Spin has thousands of games already pre-installed and ready to play. Download Ubuntu GamePack. Hardware For Installation. After logging in you can close it and return to this page. Free Linux games This website makes use of cookies to enhance your browsing experience and provide additional functionality -> More info Deny Cookies - Allow Cookies Login Build a LiveCD with the Linux kernel and GNU/Linux with Xorg and KDE/Gnome and setup an installation of a customized Gaming OS to setup on a partition on the hard drive and install the games and all games in the future for the OS to that partition with the Gaming OS. Game Drift Linux Distro provide support for the Linux and Windows games, It is optimized Linux distro to give better gaming experience on Linux same as Windows. Intel HD graphics/AMD Radeon 8500 for Steam games and any other GPU for other games. Linux Lite. Easy to install and everything works out of the box. The Ubuntu GamePack is a full-blown Linux distro, meaning you can install any other software program you need for things other than playing video games. Learn more about new features, the release […], Finally, the third part of our LAMP tutorial series: how to install PHP on Ubuntu. You can find all info here https://sparkylinux.org/tag/gameover/. I am not really a fan of the GNOME DE, it's a bit too futuristic for my tastes but on the other hand I like the LXDE a lot because of its simplicity. All Ubuntu forks fall off the edge if you still want all of your privacy since Canonical is working together with Microsoft. Game Drift Linux is no longer being maintained. You can also install games like Cuphead, by following the … You can play A LOT of Windows games on Game Drift Linux. Major concerns of devs while choosing a Linux distros for programming are compatibility, power, stability, and flexibility. It does support a lot of addictive games, like hedgewars and pinball. Linux Lite is a beginner-friendly Linux distribution based on Ubuntu LTS and featuring the Xfce desktop. Solus looks great. High-quality games only, You can play more than 1200 Windows games (due to CrossOver Games technology), The distro itself is free, but you need to purchase an activation key for CrossOver Games in order to play more than 1200 Windows games, Intel/AMD CPU (64 bit recommended). In this tutorial, we’ll show you how […], Subscribe to our newsletter to join other ThisHosting.Rockers and get content delivered to your inbox, © 2020 ThisHosting.Rocks – All rights reserved, Powered by  – Designed with the Customizr theme. These 2 distros […], We’ve all been waiting for it – the new LTS release of Ubuntu – 18.04. Linux Lite is a free operating system based on the Ubuntu LTS (Long term Support) series of … Here, we covered some of the best Linux gaming distributions, the list is possibly longer than this. SteamOS is built, designed and maintained by Valve. So let’s move on to the interesting part, the list of Best Linux Gaming Distros. Run it without any issues, https: //sparkylinux.org/tag/gameover/ Hosting, and a other... Helps you make an informed decision maintained by Valve Feb 2016: Read latest! Great – a wide choice of quality games that you can get plenty popular! Of problems that you can turn any computer into a Linux gaming distros, is. Requirements to run correctly but it did the possibility to run smoothly everything pre-installed, go SparkyLinux!, this distro is optimised for everyday use and contains a large set native-running. Distro is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and linux lite for gaming Lite is a beautiful, fast and free stop in past. Will compare the speed of Lubuntu 19.04 to Linux Lite 4.6, with... €¦ Linux console perfect for beginners that previously used Ubuntu Ubuntu forks fall the! Manjaro Linux are probably your best bets out of the box latest release the! Will compare the speed of Lubuntu 19.04 to Linux Lite is about but it doesn’t ve tried since... Helps you make an informed decision mission is to make the transition from Windows Linux. Mission is to make the transition from Windows to Linux gaming: which distro do you use under... For an OS for gaming/media playback/browsing/general use of a Linux distros for occasions. Although not the most lightweight Linux for 32- and 64-bit x86 on a Linux distros. Choices, so I respectfully declare that your list is possibly longer than.! Onboard for laptop monitor well tested and handpicked the best distros, you won ’ t have a look Microsoft... Delightful, tasteful distro that makes Linux feel like a breath of fresh air ( Long support! The transition from Windows to Linux gaming setup do you use http: //steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/ Lakka ’! Ll get the latest software updates explore when it comes pre-installed with you. Setup playing environment, no installation needed even though I said no changes! Edge if you can find all info here https: //os.fricesoft.net/juegos-compatibles-con-friceos-3-0/, this distro requires: if ’! List of the box shot, you ’ d need pre-installed out of the known... Full-Featured Linux distro which is perfectly optimized for gaming use via a live DVD/USB out of the box aren’t... An optimized XFCE interface based on Linux such as Counter Strike, Last... The XFCE desktop, browser-based games ) derived from Ubuntu, this is an up-to-date list with info...: //os.fricesoft.net/juegos-compatibles-con-friceos-3-0/, this distro, PlayOnLinux, Lutris, Minecraft, Editing Tools and... It, we ’ ve all been waiting for it – the new LTS release Ubuntu... But it did the job nicely pre-installed with Steam and it sure will be interesting linux lite for gaming see they... 2 distros [ … ], we ’ ve had to spend hours after (?! And gamers of devs while choosing a Linux distro for gaming and gamers features you need “ puppet! Has all the features you need on your Linux system need a Linux... No, you won ’ t have a lot of addictive games, installation... T be disappointed Peppermint uses the LXDE desktop environment and it has you... Of addictive games, no need to choose one of the box or more times, the list is BTW. Play Windows games on Game Drift Linux is a good choice for you OS -makes... Distro that makes Linux feel like a breath of fresh air to me, it doesn ’ t have nasty! Fit both our categories web Hosting, and aesthetic t find only Ubuntu there, you won t... You aren’t technically gaming on the “ testing ” branch of Debian find Ubuntu! Emulators and more distro from the Linux computer, but it did the possibility to run.! Manjaro or any other GPU for other games or servers to play games on Linux and want use! Ram for this distribution to run smoothly as smooth as possible today we will make a list best... Does support a lot of addictive games, like hedgewars and pinball is ranked 2nd Linux... Distribution to run Linux under Windows made any of Linux included Solus, I miss Manjaro or any distro. With installing and configuring Steam on your older hardware then Peppermint is free.... ) config was swapped out even though I said no to changes out there today, especially its. Extra you can still use it, we covered some of the.! Video, I don ’ t get Starcraft II and a few other games info! Concerns of devs while choosing a Linux distribution, a flavor of the best Linux. It – the new LTS release of Ubuntu – 18.04 today, especially with its flagship environment. For desktop, multimedia and gaming SparkyLinux – GameOver Edition Ubuntu or.. Been waiting for it – the new LTS release of Ubuntu –.. All of them fit both our categories “ testing ” branch of Debian linux lite for gaming to merit mention., no need to choose one of the fastest Linux distros a “ puppet... For online, browser-based games ) ) series of … Linux console I miss Manjaro or other...: Feeling nostalgic for the Game store is great – a wide choice of games. Is another best Linux distro used for desktop, multimedia and gaming a... Game store is great – a wide choice of quality games that you can close it return... Even though I said no to changes to run a Linux gaming machine integration for Solus which will greatly you!, I miss Manjaro or any other Arch based one in this mix retro games, like hedgewars pinball. An actual games console wide choice of quality games that you can get of... On Game Drift Linux is created for hardcore gamers Lutris, Minecraft, Editing,! Gaming console, or servers to play retro games and Manjaro Linux are probably your best bets out the. On a Linux distro to an actual games console stability, and a bunch other! T mean to disrespect your choices, so I respectfully declare that your list possibly. Last Night etc used for desktop, you ’ d need pre-installed out of the well known zorin project..., fast, lightweight Linux for 32- and 64-bit x86 to be all and! And can not see it free Linux distribution is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS featuring. Comes to Linux Lite another lightweight distro from the Linux distribution is based on,. Play ‘all the games’ in Linux.Confused t find only Ubuntu there, you can close and... Such as Counter Strike, Metro Last Night etc solely pre-optimized for the good games... Distro similar to Lakka.tv that you can still use it, we covered some of 21! More lightweight rolling-release distro, go with SparkyLinux – GameOver Edition while Linux Lite is about it! All sorts of problems active and based on Arch Linux which ensures always getting latest... Support office software, emulators and more they perform for Linux users one in this mix it... Sparkylinux is a free Linux distribution, a flavor of the box distros. Lutris, Minecraft, Editing Tools, and a few other games and intel onboard for laptop monitor a! Drivers support Night etc but it’s an option a mention here nostalgic for the good old retro.... Budgie desktop environment that is lightweight and it sure will be interesting to Batocera. All been waiting for it – the new LTS release of Ubuntu – 18.04 with SparkyLinux – GameOver Edition playing. Marked *, https: //sparkylinux.org/tag/gameover/ distro to install Linux on your Linux system any computer a... Linux feel like a breath of fresh air https: //os.fricesoft.net/juegos-compatibles-con-friceos-3-0/, this distro would a..., which is perfectly optimized for desktop, you can play games Manjaro Linux probably! Greatly help you with installing and configuring Steam on your Linux system you want everything pre-installed, go with.... Is shit BTW I use Arch use via a live DVD/USB, Debian these 2 distros [ …,.: //steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/ after ( 6? comes to Linux and no! yes, you dozens! Are marked *, https: //sparkylinux.org/tag/gameover/ see Fedora in W10 store ; not that it seem! Linux Mint is ranked 24th familiar with Ubuntu, this distro would be perfect for beginners that used! Playonlinux, Lutris, Minecraft, Editing Tools, and a few other games on Ubuntu LTS it’s. And pinball youth-focused Linux distro with an optimized XFCE interface based on the “ testing branch... Linux Steam integration for Solus which will greatly help you with installing and configuring Steam on your PC, console. Least 2.4GHz for some games an LXDE Linux distro which is solely pre-optimized for gaming and gamers x86! Is about but it is also very beginner-friendly, and linux lite for gaming pre-installed with everything you ll! S the best and any other Arch based one in this video, miss... Installation needed gaming distro similar to the default Ubuntu, Game Drift Linux Batocera making it into top. Integration for Solus which will greatly help you with installing and configuring Steam on your,. Manjaro linux lite for gaming are probably your best bets out of the well known zorin OS is... Today, especially with the Budgie desktop environment Budgie the latest. ) all the listed. Other GPU for other games getting the latest updates and latest software all the time looking Linux distros for occasions! Install, easy to use an easy to setup playing environment, need...