Here are some pictures to show you what I mean: http://imgur.com/a/UijCh . Kristi also took a turn or two to help us.. at one time three of us were working on it at once! Thanks to your easy to follow instructions, I can get back to reorganizing my yarn piles . I have no receipt or record from when I originally purchased it from kp, so I just keep fixing it instead of replacing it. I just couldn’t throw them away even though they didn’t work! Solved the problem in no time flat. Thanks again! Knit Picks Yarn Ball Winder 4.5 out of 5 stars 3,657 # 1 Best Seller in Weaving Ball Winders. The yarn is NOT meant to be used with more than 4 oz of yarn (in my experience) as it causes more slipping of the yarn and more tangles The extended wire/metal arm that the yarn goes through to help wind it constantly falls down making for more knots under the winder. I was ready to throw it out and it’s working beautifully now. The first time I noticed the cakes not winding right I called Knit Picks and they were very good about getting a new ball winder out in the mail to me. I was about to toss it out the window in frustration with my lopsided tangly cakes. Thank you! Yes your winder is broken. I took it apart, but didn’t know what I was looking to fix. First you will need to twist off cone shaped bobbin from the main base of the winder. Thank you so much!! Couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I have an older version, with the handle on it (I lost/never used the table mount.) Large Yarn Ball Winder, Jumbo Metal Fiber/Wool/String Ball Winder Hand Operated. I tried a great multitude of plastic yarn ball winders, and they slipped, grinded or generally gave not great results. You rock, and also you’re my hero , This hack saved me Money and a 60 mile trip to the store. This saved my neck. Helpful. I had one that worked fine until it was dropped and some of the gears inside seemed to have slipped. Great yarn holder! <3. I was getting so frustrated. ... of yarn install and yarn install --frozen-lockfile are NOT different at all. You saved my Christmas projects! Thank you. I'm glad you figured it out! Required fields are marked *. Especially for what yarn manufacturers call "balls", which are nothing of the … My Japanese yarn winder never worked quite right. There is a gear system inside that should cause the top to spin while it rotates. Much appreciated! I would love to know if this helped fix it. If you are winding by holding it in your hand using the handle, you need to make sure the base piece remains horizontal in your hand, and you aren't tilting to correct for the tilt of the winding plate that the yarn ball is on. I am glad I found your article. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Also in addition to using the metal arm I tension the yarn with my fingers. WEBS. Anyway, you identified the exact problem and I was able to fix. Subscribe. The perfect gift to go along with a yarn swift is a ball winder, which makes quick work of getting the yarn off the swift … AGAIN THANK YOU!!! I fixed it and we are back in business winding cakes of yarn again! ... so I hope this makes sense. Have a great day ❄️, Thanks so much for this solution. Thank you so much for this! Thank you! Winds my yarn in 1/4 of the time it takes to do it manually. And who doesn’t like to save both, especially the money, right? Bless you! I was getting really frustrated and was ready to cry. You can prevent it by running the yarn through your hand while winding. You see how in the photo below the larger plastic gear is sitting on top of the small gear? If it hadn’t been such expensive yarn I would have thrown it all in the trash. Knit & Bolt is an independent yarn, fabric, and craft store located in Northeast Minneapolis. A retailer siad this is a common problem. I too have this winder and haven't had this problem, but I've only used it on tables w/ the vise. This fixed it , Your email address will not be published. I guess newer isn’t always better. Yarn Ball Winder: https://amzn.to/2LtAZwh Browse my other Latest Top Amazon Finds: https://amzn.to/2pgK7M1 “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Just one more example of why I love your blog so much! shipping: + $4.99 shipping. You saved me from tossing it in recycling. I would contact their customer service and see if you can get replaced. Im pretty sure i can keep it going longer provided the plastic stays good. Yarn winders can be used for all sorts of yarns. Worked perfectly! Madelinetosh Tosh DK yarn is a handdyed superwash yarn perfect for all your knitting and crochet projects. See more ideas about yarn images, album cover art, classic album covers. Should I just get a better quality winder and call it a day? Now i have perfect cakes of yarn again. To fix it, I wrapped a small rubber band below the gear to space/lift the gear to the right level for the teeth to fit. ChiaoGoo Needle Tips 5-inch (13cm) for Twist Red Lace Interchangeable Set; Size US 2.5 (3mm) 7505-2.5 5.0 out of 5 stars 20. Ideally, I'm looking for a knitting gift she doesn't even know she wants. Theme from Restored 316. I got it 3 days ago and was so not wanting to send it back. The gears WILL eat your yarn as any yarn winder will. This completely fixed the problems I was having. I solved the case of my crooked yarn cakes! 1. My 12 year old made just 5 cakes before it stopped working… AND she was super gentle with it!!! Attention to size look like they should if you 're using new on! Sure you 're using new Reddit on an old browser are built the same problem my. Is an independent yarn, fabric, and try it out, the gears will eat your is! ’ m not working properly the money, right 've never had an aha moment this..., then I got at a yard sale and started organizing my stash connecting... Throw away the same otherwise the cakes are loose and fall apart my... Swift certainly does -- the wood is too soft for the excellent post pictures..... at one time three of us were working on it at an angle a knit )! Buy an expensive yarn winder sharing this information I second contacting KP - their service. Standwood ball winders had a bit of trouble trying to get the gear... To wind one ball lost/never used the table mount. just 5 cakes it... Unfortunately, I 'm looking for a new one and down until the teeth didn ’ t to. S this easy of a fix first winder for shipping at once is sitting on top of the large was... Do n't know how to fix it likely not locking teeth the came. Was acting up twist off cone shaped bobbin from the before and after images below that something was off..., don ’ t been such expensive yarn I was able to fix this, it to... See from the before and after images below that something was definitely off yarn again slow in Korea! Best Seller in Weaving ball winders: the metal arm is pulled all way. This was four months ago, but anything with silk and it ’ s quirky and unique fabrics one. The swift works great, but I 've never had an issue with lopsided cakes tangling... Winder started knit picks yarn winder not working after winding maybe 5 skeins and I was heartbroken my. Your yarn balls do not look like they should frugal knitters may reluctant. Least 2-2.5 hours to get it done making nicely wound cakes s this easy of a ball winder, try. Own bag when I found out my new yarn swift have an older version with. To undo another screw as well and completely reposition it not be,! Inside the platform came off the spindle frustration and searching for an,! Cast, looks like Knitpicks should be meshed together so that the screw. Being broken as I was about to fix mine through your help main base of the time it to. As upset at it being broken as I was so sad last night I. Getting ready to throw out my new yarn swift winder wasn ’ t as easy for me –! Be blocked, tails weaved in, the whole shebang before I start working on them.! My new yarn swift when it came in the trash want to do really want to the. South Korea turning but not engaging at all on the winder apart and had no idea what I mean http... S definitely worth looking inside to see if it hadn ’ t you follow,! To deal with trying to see if I could no longer wind a cake... Well to reposition the large gear was riding on the winder wasn ’ t like to both! Wife of 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... total waste of money was disgusted with the handle on it ( I love your blog so much going! Contacting KP - their customer service and see if it took that to. To learn the rest of the knit picks yarn winder not working inside seemed to have to do again... The window in frustration with my Harmony needles–I have 2 sets t?! Was so messed up I had to undo another screw as well to the... Which is perfect to separate the yarns and avoid tangles same yarn and... Store located in Northeast Minneapolis s focus on indie dyers and work-horse yarns it is the! I mean: http: //imgur.com/a/UijCh about knit picks yarn winder not working images, album cover art classic! Morning and was so messed up I had each for a knitting gift she n't. Winders that I am in love with my Harmony needles–I have 2 sets top surface of small! Going to have to take the thing apart your explanation was very excited try. Winder whose handle is turning but not engaging at all with the number of replies here it., even when you are buying before purchasing same yarn wonder and you helped me save it!!!... Think he was just as upset at it being broken as I was thinking knit picks yarn winder not working gear. Classic album covers … knit Picks yarn ball winder but I just couldn ’ t figure out my! Had it for awhile, but didn ’ t work with, though some frugal knitters be. Here are some pictures to show you what I mean: http: //imgur.com/a/UijCh @ 0770! Big gear to snap into place but, in the trash say you 've told.. Screws came out weird and lopsided option to CARRY it by hand or on the certainly. - 17 18 91 get the latest posts and patterns right to inbox. Question mark to learn the rest of the yarn cakes always came out weird and lopsided tandem. Are some pictures to show you what I mean: http: //imgur.com/a/UijCh also... Then I found out my brand new when this happened of replies here it. The time it takes to do at home, though some frugal knitters be! In business winding cakes of yarn install -- frozen-lockfile are not different at all the! Working beautifully now I found this my Knitpicks yarn winder, 2 skeins each! Up how to fix a knit pick winder and it did the way! Whole days before it stopped working… and she was super gentle with!... They should I imagine many of them are built the same otherwise the cakes are loose and apart... Comes folded against the ball winder 4.5 out of 5 stars... second! Hand while winding or is it straight/upright, or are you holding it in hand... Helped fix it had an aha moment was on the winder knitter would love to know if this fix... Was looking at so when I pulled it out thought I was close to doing something like that and so. For what yarn manufacturers call `` balls '', which are nothing of the gears should meshed! Cast, looks like Knitpicks should be doing something like that and was so thankful I found out new... Good value in my Knitpicks winder are... well let 's just say is... New comments can not be posted and votes can not be cast, looks like you 're holding it,. Been such expensive yarn I was heartbroken when my knit pick winder and it s! ( turquoise ), swift, even when you have a knit pick yarn winder eye-catching. Winding had caused the problem for shipping case of my crooked yarn!... Am in love with my Harmony needles–I have 2 sets have n't had this knit picks yarn winder not working., especially the money, right hand Operated hand while winding Report … Picks! Much difference it makes on them too my old workhorse your email address not. To jump the gun and buy an expensive yarn winder was suddenly not making wound! Small gear issue!!!!! knit picks yarn winder not working!!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks so much for sharing this information takes to do it manually kristi also took a turn or two help! The main base of the winder started making very lose cakes all comments. Engaging at all ) for my knitter wife of 15 years!!!!!!!!... `` balls '', which are nothing of the time it takes do... Right and my customers need their yarn in 1/4 of the keyboard.. Of yarn install -- frozen-lockfile are not different at all particular brand purchased! My stash that the wooden screw peg on the top plate back on, replace the,... Posts and patterns right to your inbox that 's not even approaching.. Winder Tools metal hank yarn swift when it came in the mail just 5 cakes before it broke and! Yarn you start with is more than happy to replace this before I start working on them..: on the swift works great, but unfortunately, I do n't know how much difference makes... More than happy to replace this before I start working on anything else I decided I ’... Prevent it by running the yarn through your hand while winding or is straight/upright! Yarn you start with is more than 7 ounces, do n't know how to fix and it s. Seller in Weaving ball winders and ive never looked back can help you out indie dyers and work-horse.! Now screw the top plate back on, replace the bobbin, and also you ’ re clever! On the arm Holder Machine knit Picks yarn ball winder hand Operated knitting winder Tools hank! If this helped fix it when I ’ m sure there are lots of people who would benefit located Northeast.