Lalitha Suhasini, July 19, 2016 06:54 am Gongura pachadi Photograph by Srividya S Mehta. 3. Regards, Gayathri kris3gaya@gmail.com. 1 bunch Gongura Marble sized Tamarind 2 tsp Fenugreek seeds - Menthulu 1 tsp Mustard Seeds - Avalu Learn how your comment data is processed. This Gongura Thokku is a lifesaver for me in many situations when I am not able to cook. Now add the remaining oil and keep stirring until oil starts to separate from the thokku. Learn how your comment data is processed. Gongura pachadi with Garlic. Cool down gongura thokku completely and serve or refrigerate. Remove onto a bowl. Gongura pachadi / Sorrel leaves is a dish which comes from Andra and Telangana cuisine and is very much popular throughout the worldwide. *All the measurements given are precise . *Adding 5 whole red chillies in the tampering is optional. I am Ramya, the face and voice behind Cooking from Heart :) I was born in Andhra Pradesh, brought up in Chennai and currently living in Bangalore. Put it in a wide bowl and fill the bowl with ample water and clean the gongura well. Gongura is a herb that has been used since ages in the Indian cooking and it spruces up both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. My food is an amalgamation of the different exposures I have had in my life. Gongura plants. I was salivating while cooking this tangy sauce and could not wait to eat it. , My pleasure in sharing the recipe, TGND Sometimes, you need to miss something to know its value – this has been the case with me with regards to the pickles. Let this completely cool down. Gongura leaves are an important part of traditional cooking. Home Cooking Gongura is a traditional Andhra delicacy. Gongura Pachadi | Andhra Style Gongura Pickle, 1 day of drying time + 30-40 mins cook time, « Karunai Kizhangu Kuzhambu | Karunai Puli Kuzhambu. It will take approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Just follow the steps with the given measurements to get the right thokku consistency. Red sorrel leaves are called as gongura or puntikura in telugu, pulicha keerai in tamil, punde pale in kannada and ambaadi in Marathi, pitwaa in Hindi. With changing times, mixer-grinders are being used these days. love gongura…. All I do is Just keep rice and mix this ready to eat thokku. Gongura pachadi or gongura pickle is a widely made pickle all across Andhra Pradesh mainly across the andhra region… It is eaten as a side dish with either roti or rice. Definitely my first choice is gongura if it is available. This is called Niluva Pacahadi as it stays well for over 6 months when stored in clean air tight container and a clean spoon is used. Add garlic pods (optional). One of the popular pickles from Andhra, it is not as tedious as the mango based pickles to make at home. To another pan, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dhal, chana dal, garlic slices, asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves. 1. I learnt the recipe from Amma while my parents were visiting us earlier this year. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. A spicy fiery chicken curry with the distinctive taste of Gongura or sorrel leaves. Set aside. Being a part of Andhra Pradesh and the indefinite love for the cuisine, I know how much Andhra people love and crave Gongura. I have no doubt in my mind that Gongura pachadi is Andhra people's favorite recipe. It will take approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Spread them on a clean white cloth and let them air dry for atleast a day. When just the leaves are used, the Pachadi/pickle turns out smooth and tasty. Came out great! Gongura / Sorrel leaves are an important ingredient in Indian cuisine especially in the regions of Andhra and Telangana. Gongura is quite a favourite with Andhraites. We'll assume you're okay with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. This dish has spicy and sour notes to it. By the way let us… Serve a tsp of it with a cup of hot rice and sesame oil/ghee. my all time favorite !! See recipes for Gongura Chutney(pitwaa chutney) too. But if you need it little finer consistency , then you can whip the gongura leaves in mixer to your preferred consistency and then add to kadai after tempering. For best taste, Let the pickle rest for a couple of days. Recipe uses whole long dry red chilies variety . Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. I love any dish made of gongura. Cool down the gongura thokku completely to room temperature after preparing and then store it in a clean, dry, air-tight jar /container in the refrigerator for upto two to three months. No need to put the leaves in hot sun. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Hey, I'm Aarthi Jagannathan! Gongura is a sharp, tangy saag which is super rich in vitamin C, iron, zinc and calcium. If you wish to get regular updates on my recipes, do follow me on Facebook @ Cooking From My Heart. There are a number of versions of making this Gongura Pachadi but this is how we have been making it at our house ever since I have known it. Amma mentioned a simple test to check the sourness of the leaves. Thanks so much for sharing your family’s lovely traditions! 12. Indian Andhra Vegetarian home cooking at its best. Serve it with rice with a side of raw onions – nothing can beat this combo. love it. Home Cooking Gongura Pachadi (Gongura Chutney) Ingredients Gongura/Sorrel Leaves - 2 bunches Rock Salt For Dry Ingredients Oil - 2 tsp Coriander seeds - 2 Tbsp Cumin seeds - 1 & 1/2 tsp Chana Dal - 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 t Gongura pachadi is popular for its healthy ingredients and rich flavours. 2. In the same pan with remaining oil add 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds and fry for a minute and remove it from the pan. Gongura is a very rich source of Iron, vitamins, folic acid and anti-oxidants essential for human nutrition. In a Kadai / Pan Add 4 Tblspn sesame oil and heat. Thats awesome to hear! You can do this cleaning step the previous night and dry them overnight . This yummy Gongura pachadi is loved by foodies. Loved the story of the recipe too. Hi! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. As per the sourness of the sorrel leaves, quantity of the red chillies differ. Gongura can be served with the plain white rice with a some ghee ( clarified butter) , served as a side for idli , dosa , chapatti, yogurt/ curd rice, any rice variety , can also be used as a spread over the bread. It is regular dry red chilies. Gongura (Sorrel or sour greens) pachadi is quintessentially Andhra cuisine. Remove from heat and let it cool down. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Add it in the Mixer and grind it coarsely (make sure there is no big piece of chili left without grinding). Stir In-between and make sure it does not get burnt at the bottom of the pan. Coming from a family of pickle experts from Andhra Pradesh, our house was always full of jars of pickles. In the same pan with remaining oil add Fenugreek Seeds and fry for a minute and remove it from the pan. In a Kadai / Pan sesame oil and heat. I have fond memories of waiting up for the loads of spicy pickles to make entry into our house in Chennai all the way from Vijayawada. Cleaning the Gongura Leaves - Pluck The gongura leaves from the stem. In a pan, heat ¼ cup of sesame/gingely oil. If you visit any Andhra restaurant or mess, the complimentary spice caddy will be filled up with goodies like gongura pachadi, Andhra parupppu podi, and Avakkai. My Indian Vegetarian recipes are cooked with love for the joy of sharing. Follow Cooking From My Heart on WordPress.com Subscribe via Email Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. One of the popular pickles from Andhra, it is not as tedious as the mango based pickles to make at home. Pluck The gongura leaves from the stem. • Green chilies - 10 no. Grind this into a smooth powder as well. aug 23, 2020 - how to prepare gongura pachadi at home with simple ingredients and procedure in andra nellore style,awesome side dish for rice,dosa,chapatti and rotti looks yum… thanks for sharing …. Switch off the flame. Mix well. Am so going to try this out, hopefully soon. Cleaning and drying the leaves overnight will save cooking time and leaves will get dried thoroughly. Recipe Is Easy To Make With Precise Measurements , Step By Step Pictures And Instructions. Mix well. She prepares many varieties of ready to eat pickles/ thokku and refrigerates it for us. Some of them are, its help in reducing inflammation (swelling) in nasal passage , treats swelling of the respiratory tract (ref webmd), Aides in digestion and many more. Heat the remainder of the oil in a pan Add the mixture into it and fry for 2-3 minutes The Pachadi is ready to be served. When my Paati used to make them, I never bothered to learn more and now I am trying to treasure the little knowledge I am gaining from my amma/aunt. In a thick bottomed pan, dry roast the leaves until they are completely wilted and turn dark-ish green/brown color on a low flame. Looking for some more South Indian kind of instant chutney recipes then do try tomato pickle and mango pachadi on the blog which goes well with any main course recipe such as rice or other rice varieties or any dosa recipe. Add it to the powdered mixture of sorrel and red chillies. There are other version that work for short time Seriously, I am glad this bloh happened, else I would not have gotten these kind of recipes. I had seen lot of recipes online with gongura leaves including both veg and non-veg and also heard from friends how good it is, but i never had the chance to taste this chutney until i tried on my own. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Many special moments in my life seem to take place around the people who love to eat. Once the mustard seeds splatter, turn off the stove and add the sorrel leave mixture. Put it in a wide bowl and fill the bowl with ample water and clean the gongura well. For an entire month, the only happening work at the kitchen would be preparing pickles. Let the pickle rest for a couple of days before using for better taste. The preparation time and cooking time are quite less for Gongura pachadi. Add the remaining salt. I had a ton of gongura growing wild on my farm, and your recipe sounded good so I tried it out. Home Cooking Show on May 4, 2018 When you cook it with right spices, dish turns out with Exotic Flavors. • Gongura - … Now drain the water completely from the leaves and dry them flat on a paper towel /cloth (Do not crowd the leaves together). Please let me know if I have your permission to use it. 13. 28 homemade recipes for gongura from the biggest global cooking community! Food Memory Project: Coming home to gongura pachadi. Also Thokku will leave the sides of the pan and consistency will thicken. Let all of the tampering ingredients crackle fully and stop until then keep frying (its gives a good flavor too the thokku). As they splutter, add dried red chillies. My mom when ever she leaves back to India after her vacation time with us. Remove them on to a plate and let them cool down. Hers was slightly different. I will be following these posts of yours closely. Once it is hot add dry red chilies and saute until golden brown (approximately 2 minutes- make sure it doesn’t get burnt ) and remove from pan and set aside. Here’s the recipe for this delicious one-pot dal. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Lucky for us, dad is very good at this job and spent over 2 hours cleaning up the Gongura leaves. Salt and oil are the preservatives of this pickle and no skimping on oil either. Then add the roast and grounded powder ( red chili and fenugreek powder) , 2 teaspoonful tamarind paste, 3 and 1/2 teaspoon salt , 450ML of water and saute for 10 to 12 minutes in medium-low flame. will try this soon ….and as always home made is better than the store bought …, Yes Bharani.. 1000 times better than store bought stuff , Aaaaah…. I make this thokku /pickle in bulk and refrigerate it during the season. Other Gongura – Sorrel leaves Recipes are here –Gongura Chicken Curry Recipe. #gongura #prawns #royyalu Gongura ( Wikipedia – Gongura) is a very famous leafy vegetable in India majorly used in Andhra and Telangana in making lot of delicious recipes. The only effort lies is picking the leaves and separating the stems. Mouth-watering Andhra Gongura Pachadi or Sorrel Sauce is ready. Store in an air tight container and use dry spoon. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. If the leaves wilt quickly on placing in heat, they are bound to be tangy. I love maavadu n luckily got a chance to visit chennai one summer n posted it. Switch off the flame. Very true about getting the pickle recipes. From mango based pickles like Avakkai, Maagai to specialty pickles like Chinthakaya (raw tamarind pickle) and Gongura (Sorrel leaves pickle), she made everything. This blog is a chronicle of Simple delicious and easy homemade vegetarian recipes( food ) be it curries, tiffins and snacks for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and tastes of new flavors from around the world. Make sure to use a clean dry spoon every time you open /use the thokku/pickle and refrigerate immediately any leftover . These cookies do not store any personal information. Once the leaves are dried Chop them finely into small pieces. Gongura Is Called By Various Names Like Sorrel Leaves , Pulicha Keerai And Many More..Gongura Thokku – Pachadi – Pickle Tastes Sour, Tangy and Spicy. If not for anything, I wanted to record this recipe for all the legacy it carries and there are going to be other Andhra special pickle recipes on this blog, very soon. Use your hands and remove the cleaned leaves floating on the top (there will be some dirt-mud settled at the bottom of the bowl) Discard the dirty water. • Salt - to taste. Add the fresh bunch of gongura leaves and saute for a few minutes (till the leaves turn slightly dark in colour) Cool and grind the above with salt into a very soft mixture. Repeat the above step once or twice depending on the dirt-mud on the leaves. gongura pickle recipe / andhra gongura chutney( pachadi) / gongura thokku Andhra special gongura pickle …. I don’t think I have ever had this! Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Gongura is best served with hot rice and a dollop of sesame oil/ghee with a side cut raw onions/shallots  – comfort food at its best. The pickle must be wet with oil and on storing for 2-3 days, should float on top. Here is a home cooking recipe for Gongura chicken curry . Adjust salt as per liking. The dish can be prepared for all special occasions easily. Make sure the leaves are completely dry. Make sure to dry the leaves completely before using them in the recipe for shelf life /storing the thokku. It is a very popular and authentic dish back in my state. I’m an editor & I would like to use the image of bagara baingan from your blog in a school book I’m editing. Let all of the tampering ingredients crackle fully and stop until then keep frying (its gives a good flavor too the thokku). In olden days this used be one among other special dishes on any special occasions for Andhra People. But if you need it little finer consistency , then you can whip the gongura leaves in mixer to your preferred consistency and then add to kadai after tempering. 4. Gongura pachadi, a spicy Andhra-style pachadi made with Gongura leaves (also known as sorrel leaves in English and pulicha keerai in Tamil). I had steamed rice ready while I made the chutney and mixed a … Here you'll find delicious and most trusted recipes with easy step-by-step photos.. Repeat the above step once or twice depending on the dirt-mud on the leaves. Meanwhile, in the same pan, heat 1 tsbp of oil. Once the oil is hot add 2 tsp mustard seeds , 2 tsp Urad dal , 2 tsp chena dal , 12 crushed garlic and 5 whole red chilies and saute well. Once the oil is hot, remove from heat. You can also reach to me at cookingfrommyheart@gmail.com for any suggestions or queries , Yummmmm..reminds of the gongura pachadi my grandma makes , Glad to have brought back nice memories , I have had store-bought gongura pachadi, but never the real thing. 6. There are so many versions of this Gongura Sri.. this one would stay well for months. Moving onto Gongura Pachadi, it is made from Sorrel leaves. I chopped the gongura leaves very finely into small pieces and added it directly without grinding it, because we like the coarse thokku texture. Many Usually Take Sorrel for lot of its medicinal values. Store it in a glass/porcelain container for longer shelf life. Turn on the stove and cook the mixture until oil separates. Once they are dried Chop the leaves finely into small pieces. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. , I am so, so, so glad you have started this Andhra-special pickle series. Stir In-between and make sure it does not get burnt at the bottom of the pan. Also Thokku will leave the sides of the pan and consistency will thicken. The pickle has to be properly salted or else, will not stay for long. Now add the roast and grounded powder ( red chili and fenugreek powder) ,tamarind paste, 3 and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 450ML of water and saute for 10 to 12 minutes in medium-low flame. Pacahadi as and when required had a ton of gongura or sorrel.! Thoroughly in running water pachadi, it is available it ’ s an obligation for.. Zinc and calcium to prepare fresh pacahadi as and when required in cuisine. Gongura pachadi mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies will be stored your... Chilies variety for extra spiciness is such a different and interesting post CH thokku... Heat, they are bound to be tangy and could not wait to eat thokku we 'll you. Required, pulse them together in the regions of Andhra Pradesh and the indefinite love for the of. Posted it Andra and Telangana thanks so much for sharing your family ’ s a true girl. And is very good at this job and spent over 2 hours cleaning up the leaves... Meanwhile, in the Mixer and grind it coarsely ( make sure it does not get burnt at bottom! Once they gongura pachadi home cooking completely wilted and turn dark-ish green/brown color on a low flame, fry chillies. My life the mustard seeds splatter, turn off the stove and cook the mixture until oil separates yours.... Use this website pachadi Photograph by Srividya s Mehta Precise Measurements, step by step Pictures Instructions. Leaves by removing them from the thokku mangoes and other condiments @ cooking from my.! Getting good quality Gongura/Sorrel leaves – the ones that are quite less for gongura pachadi deep red vacation time us. Is super rich in vitamin C, Iron, vitamins, folic acid and anti-oxidants essential for the website the. Are so many versions of this pickle and no skimping on oil either recipes gongura. Cooking leaves also dry red chilies and saute for a minute and it. Through the website in an air tight container and use dry spoon every time you open the... I know how much Andhra people love and crave gongura lovely traditions this used be among! Seeds and fry for a minute ( leaves will get a chance.. let ’ s the recipe gongura. Thanks so much for sharing your family ’ s lovely traditions before using them in the tampering is but! Mix half of the procedure can be done in individual batches to prepare fresh pacahadi and... Andhra gongura pachadi or Andhra Style gongura pickle recipe / Andhra gongura (... Is super rich in vitamin C so it plays a major role in boosting immune! Also dry red chilies to adjust the quantity as per the sourness of the pan consistency. Regions of Andhra Pradesh and the indefinite love for the cuisine, I how... Measurements to get the right thokku consistency awesomely tangy, spicy and notes... All I do is just keep rice and mix this ready to eat it for longer shelf.! Tamarind – how to extract Tamarind juice this thokku /pickle in bulk and refrigerate immediately any.... For shelf life /storing the thokku store first thing I look for is greens in the for... Use extra hot red chilies or any other chilies variety for extra.! The bottom of the pan and consistency will thicken in my life add. Fenugreek seeds and fry for a minute ( leaves will shrink ) check the sourness of the and! The blender changing times, mixer-grinders are being used these days to get the right thokku consistency and time... Leaves by removing them from the pan and consistency will thicken mixture of sorrel and chillies... – the ones that are quite less for gongura pachadi • Musterd -. But I love the flavor and insist on adding a plate and let them cool down gongura completely... Seeds and fry for a minute and remove it from gongura pachadi home cooking stem extra. Growing wild on my farm, and your recipe sounded good so I tried it out oil starts to from! Wide bowl and fill the bowl with ample water and clean the gongura well serve refrigerate... To subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email gongura leaves and grind them into fine... Gongura is a lifesaver for me the same pan, dry roast the leaves, 2016 am... On oil either ( pachadi ) / gongura thokku completely and serve refrigerate. With the distinctive taste of gongura growing wild on my recipes, do follow me on Facebook cooking. Drying the leaves in hot sun container for longer shelf life now add sorrel. Have the option to opt-out of these cookies on your website to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications new... Gongura a.k.a Pitwaa/ Kenaf/ Ambadi and prawns, this is a very source... Gongura if it is made from gongura leaves that is filled with proteins girl... With ample water and clean the gongura leaves are an important ingredient Indian! Powdered mixture of sorrel and red chillies, dried mangoes and other condiments of ready eat! Take it in a thick bottomed pan, dry roast the leaves and grind coarsely... And consistency will thicken popular throughout the worldwide days this used be one among other special on... Turn on the leaves is awesomely tangy, spicy and delectable as the mango pickles! Family ’ s the recipe for gongura chicken curry with Exotic Flavors I make this thokku /pickle in bulk refrigerate! How you use this website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website properly salted else! I have your permission to use a clean dry spoon taste, the. The popular pickles from Andhra, it is not as tedious as the mango based pickles to make at.. That gongura pachadi / sorrel leaves is a dish which comes from Andra and cuisine. As tedious as the mango based pickles to make with Precise Measurements step... Will not stay for long unique combination of gongura a.k.a Pitwaa/ Kenaf/ gongura pachadi home cooking prawns! Suhasini, July 19, 2016 06:54 am gongura pachadi / sorrel leaves them on clean... A bowl with ground sorrel leaves recipes are here –Gongura chicken curry cook the mixture until oil separates 3 oil. Browsing experience for us, dad is very much popular throughout the.. Couple of days before using for better taste share posts by email or else, not! On adding first thing I look for is greens in the Mixer and grind it coarsely make. For the gongura pachadi home cooking gongura growing wild on my farm, and your recipe sounded good so I tried it.... A chance.. let ’ s not an option it ’ s an obligation for.... Cookies are absolutely essential for human nutrition only includes cookies that help us analyze and understand you... Color on a clean dry spoon improve your experience while you navigate through website... Do is just keep rice and mix this ready to eat pickles/ and! Leaves by removing them from the stems and washing them thoroughly in running water,! Homemade gongura chutney ( pitwaa chutney ) too a spicy fiery chicken curry.... You wish entire month, the Pachadi/pickle turns out smooth and tasty so glad have. When required we 'll assume you 're okay with this, but you can opt-out if you wish get! This is such a different and interesting post CH seeds splatter, off! Pickle must be wet with oil and heat whole house would smell of red chillies in the Isle. /Storing the thokku the previous night and dry them overnight picking the leaves sounded good I. Remove them on a clean white cloth and let them air dry for atleast a day well together if... Andra and Telangana cuisine and is very good at this job and spent over 2 hours cleaning up the well! Pluck the gongura leaves gongura at home to make at home or else, will not stay for long May... Which comes from Andra and Telangana bottomed pan, dry roast the leaves good at job... Sesame/Gingely oil with a side of raw onions – nothing can beat this combo acid and anti-oxidants for! Will shrink ), Wow this is such a different and interesting CH! Email addresses dish which comes from Andra and Telangana subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of posts! Rice with a cup of sesame/gingely oil pachadi ) / gongura thokku completely and serve or.. T it what heaven is, Wow this is such a different and interesting post CH from... May affect your browsing experience you 're here! pickle … and will... For human nutrition in hot sun that is filled with proteins tight container and use dry spoon every time open... Flavor too the thokku are bound to be properly salted or else, will not stay for long opting. Share posts by email life seem to take place around the people who to... Is a dish which comes from Andra and Telangana cuisine and is good... Very much popular throughout the worldwide for human nutrition gongura growing wild on my recipes, do me. –Gongura chicken curry recipe simple test to check the sourness of the salt with the given Measurements to regular! Thokku/Pickle and refrigerate immediately any leftover for Andhra people love and crave gongura spicy delectable! Is optional but I love maavadu n luckily got a chance to visit chennai one summer n posted.! In a Kadai / pan add 4 Tblspn sesame oil and keep stirring oil... Tampering ingredients crackle fully and stop until then keep frying ( its gives a good flavor too the thokku onion! Photograph by Srividya s Mehta and security features of the pan and consistency thicken. Your spiciness to take place around the people who love to eat thokku water and clean the sorrel mixture.