On … Super-fun loop, with plenty of ski options from the huts. Traverse moderate snow slopes below the ridge and angle back up to the small notch at the base of the ramp described above and meet up with the ridge again. Walk-ins prohibited" and "Non-household members are prohibited from sharing any cabin, tent, or other lodging." Do more with Bing Maps. I felt awe and a kind of heart-expanding peace punctuated by the crunch-crunch-crunch of my shoes underneath me. Awesome! Shadows meant lichen was still icy from the morning, and I tried to carefully get footholds only on sun-exposed rock. The Mint Hut and the Bomber Hut are owned by the Mountaineering Club of Alaska and are available to the public via membership in the MCA ($15/year for individuals). Five friends and I begin a modified version of the Bomber Traverse in the Talkeetna Range, Alaska. Jul 19, 2018 - We had a couple days free so we decided to do the Bomber Traverse. Be aware of the possible avalanches on this slope. The Bomber Traverse huts are maintained entirely through volunteer efforts and donations. We invite you to write a letter to the editor or reach out directly if you’d like to communicate with us about a particular article. They decided on a whim to check out the hut and they were lucky it was stashed with some extra food that hikers had left behind. Read More. Hiking, alpine scrambling and backpacking. I reached out and touched the metal. Covers Eagle River, Anchorage, Fairbanks, McCarthy, Valdez and more. Suivez l'évolution de l'épidémie de CoronaVirus / Covid19 en France département. The 38-mile trip is a popular spring adventure for local and visiting mountaineers. As I was gassing up en route to the trailhead, backpack fully loaded in the trunk, I sat in the front seat googling a review. May 14, 2019 - Mint Bomber Traverse hooks up w/ golden mint trail near hatchers pass, chugach ntl forest, 16+ miles, 3 days, glaciers & crashed Bomber plane Alaska Jack Great Land Journal from Stuckagain Heights. It is membership dues that pay for the lease and maintenance of these huts. Tom was a mainstay of the Hatcher Pass Lodge and skiing advocate I met in the 1980's who skied all over the Talkeetnas. Alli Harvey lives in Palmer and plays in Southcentral Alaska. Of course, Alaska laughs last. Fall colors cast across the expansive valley: reds of fireweed and berries, yellow aspen and electric blue creeks that converged downstream. [Because of a high volume of comments requiring moderation, we are temporarily disabling comments on many of our articles so editors can focus on the coronavirus crisis and other coverage. Snowbird Hut. It was an amazing traverse. Bomber Traverse. Make your way through the backcountry on a hut-to-hut adventure. bomber Traverse - Duration: 3:33. chugach ress 712 views. The sun shone brightly. Super-fun loop, with plenty of ski options from the huts. Welcome to Winterbear. And apparently that’s all I really needed to know. Map multiple locations, get transit/walking/driving directions, view live traffic conditions, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery. Mint, Double Mint, Triple Mint, Peppermint, Tenemint Glaciers. Bomber Glacier began right there at the top, with ropes in place that brave climbers can use to help them down the first steep face. Ginglingo Recommended for … Derniers chiffres du Coronavirus issus du CSSE 07/12/2020 (lundi 7 décembre 2020). Click here to purchase a 13×19″ weatherproof trail map Click here to purchase an 18×24″ wall display map. Baby hummingbirds life cycle from start to finish. Alaskans know the fleeting feeling of fall when we experience it, how it smells and what it means. Webmaster's note: Martin has a lot of experience on glaciers. Jay and I did the Bomber Traverse late July while we waited for Nate to return from the slope. © 2020 Anchorage Daily News. I have done the Bomber Traverse and variations of it maybe 7 times (I’ve lost count)- but until last April I had never done the traverse on skis. This was our "warm up" to see how we managed 30+ lb packs and a variety of snow conditions, etc. One of us donned a trash bag as we set out in the rain — are we sure we want to do this, we asked at the trailhead? That didn't stop Jay. American Alpine Club and Alaska Mountaineering Club huts. And with that said-The Bomber Traverse in Winter. This is a picture of the hut at the end of winter. Lots of bush whacking = not many pictures. We spent our first night at Upper Reed Lake, squinting and cocking our heads at the snowy mountain face dramatically looming above the deep green-blue lake ahead of us. Day #4  Hiking out on the snowbird glacier. The "Bomber" is a loop ski traverse in Alaska, with 3 huts available. Each and every adventure is personalized to challenge clients while discovering the last frontier at their own unique pace. Walking across Bomber Glacier toward its namesake, the crashed plane (not pictured) with eerily well-preserved and massive fragments — bent propellers, parachutes, massive wheels — littering the snowy landscape. Alaska destination information. I had a sense of anticipation and curiosity about what the top would be like, but also an unarticulated prediction that the top would look something like what I’d already seen. The “traverse” is actually multiple routes: Hikers can start on trails up Glacier Creek (the approach to Snowbird Glacier), Reed Lakes, or Goldmint Trail. There are three glacially fed lakes that a well defined trail (that turns trail less) which starts up grassy ridge (on lookers right if you keep the valley behind you) leads to. Traversing glaciers in an Alpine wonderland with spectacular views the whole way is a wonderful way to spend 3 (or more) days. Ken Cooks. Yet I’d only dimly heard of the Bomber Traverse until a couple of weeks ago. ], A view of Upper Reed Lake from Bomber Pass in the Talkeetna Mountains. We lucked out on the weather. Human Powered Adventure. We climbed slowly, giving each other berth partially for social distance but also to stay out of the way of falling loose rocks. It begins near the locally famed touring zone of Hatcher Pass and cuts a modest circle of 20-ish miles and 6000’ across two passes. How, though? We had a great night chatting, hiking around the hut with them and looking over maps together since we were both going the opposite directions. The next day brought another glacier crossing, followed by a descent down Backdoor Gap that gives new definition (for me) to the words “steep” and “harrowing.” Squinting down from the top, I found Mint Hut for scale and immediately looked away. The Bomber Traverse Map Edition 2.2 now available online, in print, and at AMH & REI Anchorage! Some winters it's completely covered by avalanche debris. I carried that feeling with me into the valley where we made camp for the night, within sight of the small, unassuming Bomber Hut — maintained by the Mountaineering Club of Alaska — across a blue-green creek. Within our small party we had a detailed map of the traverse, a GPS and even a good old-fashioned compass. Microspikes went on and backpacks were lowered down, followed by people. The height made me feel nauseated, and I knew I needed to stay focused on the simple act of taking one step at a time. There are plenty of write-ups one can access with a simple Google search of “Bomber Traverse Alaska.” And it’s right in my backyard — the trailhead is a 30-minute drive from my front door. décès, hospitalisations, réanimations, guérisons par département Luckily his pack stopped him. I had anxiety about how many layers of clothes I’d brought, wondering if I had enough. The trek is around 18 miles depending on how lost you get on the way. Equipment needed: crampons, ice axe. The time from peak fall colors to the first snow cover can be as short as a week. Hopefully we can make it back in the winter :). This trail includes steep, loose boulder and scree slopes, and glaciers. Day #3…. Jay broke through the glacier and fell up to his elbows. - Duration: 11:32. We picked our way along the edge of the lake in the morning as the sun finally ascended high enough to hit the valley, bringing with it at least 10 degrees of warmth above our frosty start. This meant that we were looking at about 5-6 miles each day. The group of friends was wonderful (yes, I’m biased). In the distance I could see something glinting on the snow — a friend said it must be the crashed plane the traverse gets its name from. Experienced hikers should be confident in bouldering, glacier crossings and route finding. If he’s being proactive about preparing me psychologically for something, I know it’s going to be a challenge. Traverse Alaska . I’d meant to do that the week before, but somehow between scavenging camp meals, sourcing IsoPro fuel for the stove and re-watching the TV show “Succession,” I simply hadn’t had the time. Via Reek Lakes: From the end of Reed Lakes trail ascend northeast toward the northwest ridge of Lynx Peak. By law, all huts are open to the public. An entire new playground in my very own backyard opened up. The specifics include "Reservations only. It's always amazing to look at the difference. A few hours into the hike, I figured I’d better. We met up with a mutual friend, Kari, and several other groups filtered into the hut as the night went on. And in the mountains of Alaska, it really is a squeeze. The Eklutna traverse, near Anchorage, crosses four glaciers alongside the rugged peaks of Chugach State Park. It was more of a one-butt-scootch-at-a-time approach that eventually brought us to the hut. During such a mild, dry and overall strange winter thus far in AK, we were quite unsure what variety of conditions we would encounter, what crevasse issues the low snow pack would provide, and how far we would actually make it. However, if you plan on using them, please donate or sign up for membership with the Mountaineering Club of Alaska a… We chose the … May 2, 2011. Lucy looking over the Penny Royal Glacier. We're incredibly grateful for the MCA to maintain these mountain huts. … We started from Gold Mint Trail in Hatchers Pass. Anchorage, Alaska 99501-3579. It was equal parts spectacular and terrifying. Few longtime Alaskans would argue this point: the Snowbird Hut is probably the best public-use hut you’ll find on the Last Frontier. The "Bomber" is a loop ski traverse in Alaska, with 3 huts available. Lucy was prepared with her backpack, as always. I don’t know who these humans are who do first ascents — not me, that’s for sure. After a short descent that I’ll go ahead and call sketchy — slippery and steep — we were on the glacier. Mint Bomber Traverse Matanuska Valley. We were planning to hike up to the Snowbird hut to Bomber and out instead of Mint hut to Bomber. Alpine peak bagging (Higher Spire, Lower Spire). We moved slowly in bright light reflected everywhere by snow. I’ve been saying this was probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me. The Bomber Traverse is a ski loop outside of Palmer, AK, in the Talkeetna mountains. When it got too dark to see, we gave up and turned in for the night. Trekking poles and Microspikes were prerequisites for extensive boulder hiking and several glacier crossings. I’d look out and over into another valley and it would probably look something like what I’d left behind. The upside to a late start: catching the sunset after 11 p.m. from the top of Backdoor Gap along the Bomber Traverse on Sunday, June 18, 2017. Hiking the Bomber Glacier, Alaska Garland | Last Updated: May 30, 2020 Bomber Glacier. Ken loves doing weird things like cooking outside when there is a hut 8 feet away. Current information about the huts can be found on the American Alpine Club and Mountaineering Club of Alaskawebsites. The thirty-year-old hut was acquired by the Alaska Chapter of the American Alpine Clubin 2005, then overhauled—and moved up the moraine—in 2010. Today, the 18-by-18-foot hut can comfortably sleep 12, though you won’t want to spend much time sleeping: there’s plenty to do in any direction. Must see! A month later we both had some time off, so when I mentioned the Bomber Traverse, hiking over at least two glaciers in the Hatcher Pass area, Joe was more than happy to tag along. Easy peasy. We walked under a big, blue autumn sky that felt more enormous than usual. This autumn we chose to expand on a popular trek in the Talkeetna Mountains north of our home in Anchorage. Bomber Traverse Jay and I did the Bomber Traverse late July while we waited for Nate to return from the slope. — and another left camp shoes in the car. A nuclear-capable strategic bomber, similar to the ones that delivered their atom-splitting payloads over Japan in August 1945. Description . Even some debunkery of common myths about Alaska. Favorite See All. It was cold. From the same 5,500 foot Bomber Pass, rather than scrambling the ridge crest, drop 100 feet down the north side of the pass onto the upper Bomber Glacier. Descending into Anchorage over the Chugach, building stoke. Our team works diligently to immerse clients in educational exploration. Departing from the Mint Trailhead at 8:30 a.m., May Day, 2011 we embarked on the journey Tom Murphy had described 25 years ago. 3:33. View from Bomber Glacier, Hatcher Pass, AK . When we asked Wes where he thought the route was, he pointed and said, “Straight up the gut.”. Heads tilted slightly back to take in the entire height, we squinted and scanned for anything resembling a route. Bomber traverse circuit trip report by Emma Longcope of American Alpine Club is an artfully presented look at this traverse of three huts in Alaska: Mint Hut, Snowbird Hut, and Bomber Hut. That alone was a signal. In front of me, a broken and weathered engine of a TB-29 Superfortress. Phone (907) 903-0979. Traverse Alaska Philosophy. What appeared as a sheer rock face from camp was actually a series of boulder-filled rises, dotted with haphazard cairns. UPDATE: In response to the coronavirus pandemic, the Governor of Alaska has issued health mandates. Lucy was prepared with her backpack, as always. 28 / 40. (Photo by Kerry Nelson). This was our "warm up" to see how we managed 30+ lb packs and a variety of snow conditions, etc. Side adventure: Download a topo map app to further explore the area. Yet in the last week the memory has already been distilled into rose-colored hindsight. The Bomber Traverse pushed me right up to the edge of my ability and comfort. Multi-pitch rock routes on granite (Because it’s There Wall and Independence Buttress—check out the area map). Buy Photos. The Bomber Traverse, which wraps through some of the Talkeetna’s high peaks, is a gateway into this wild, humbling mountain range. As it turns out, he was right. Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast….. they were a bit stuck to the bottom of the pot. Jay and I were eaten alive by mosquitoes and very stuck in tall alders. In preparing for our trip with a few friends, my husband advised me to look up some descriptions to prepare myself for what was in store. Thanks. (Vicky Ho / Alaska … After that I could see a trail of footsteps in the snow that looked like easy walking, framed by sharp spires of mountains as they gently descended into a valley. Cross over the ridge at its lowest point which is the Bomber Pass (N 61 51.274, W 149 07.995) onto the Bomber glacier. haha We tried our best to dry out our socks and boots but everything we owned was slightly damp the rest of the trip. My nose was cold as I turned in for the night, but my sleeping bag felt drier and warmer than ever. There are plenty of write-ups one can access with a simple Google search of “Bomber Traverse Alaska.” And it’s right in my backyard — the trailhead is a 30-minute drive from my front door. This three day ski traverse ties together two huts operated by the Mountaineering Club of Alaska, Mint Hut and Bomber Hut and one operated by the American Alpine Club, Snowbird Hut. , Peppermint, Tenemint glaciers to complete the Bomber Traverse in Alaska, 3... Nevada’S backcountry and routinely got feedback that the trails he described as “flat” were.. Through volunteer efforts and donations should be confident in bouldering, glacier crossings route... And Independence Buttress—check out the area bomber traverse alaska map moved slowly in bright light reflected everywhere by snow us... The lease and maintenance of these huts Traverse map Edition 2.2 now available,. And fell up to the hut the last frontier at their own unique pace series boulder-filled! Map ) pointed and said, “Straight up the gut.”, similar to the first snow cover can as. To purchase a 13×19″ weatherproof Trail map click here to purchase an 18×24″ wall map... Kind of heart-expanding peace punctuated by the crunch-crunch-crunch of my ability and comfort I... The rest of the Traverse, a GPS and even a good compass... We can make it back in the spring avalanches on this slope we. Trek is around 18 miles depending on how lost you get on the glacier while jay purifies water. A topo map app to further explore the area for potential ski runs in the 1980 who! ( lundi 7 décembre 2020 ) boulder hiking and several glacier crossings one of those singularly memorable one. The entire height, we were generally well-prepared but items were inevitably behind! And even a good old-fashioned compass 2020 ) being proactive about preparing me for! S Mint and Bomber huts if he’s being proactive about preparing me psychologically for something, figured. All the trappings of one of those singularly memorable experiences one can have felt. Law, all huts are maintained entirely through volunteer efforts and donations be in. Anchorage over the Talkeetnas as always by the Alaska Chapter of the Bomber Traverse - Duration: 3:33. Chugach 712! That’S for sure Chapter of the Bomber Traverse after ten hours, fifty minutes, and glaciers hiking the Traverse. With plenty of ski options from the slope Microspikes were prerequisites for extensive boulder hiking and other... Conditions, etc fireweed and berries, yellow aspen and electric blue creeks that converged.... I had anxiety about how many layers of clothes I’d brought, wondering if I had enough,. At the difference apparently that’s all I really needed to know, -. An airfield or airshow felt awe and a variety of snow conditions plan... We met up with a mutual friend, Kari, and 25 we. Only dimly heard of the huts can be as short as a sheer rock face from camp actually... Of my shoes underneath me, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery managed. Distance: 32 miles Time: 2-3 days Difficulty: Difficult here to purchase a 13×19″ Trail. In dense fog unique pace Palmer, AK Chapter of the Bomber pushed! 2020 Bomber glacier your way through the glacier of Alaskawebsites haphazard cairns go ahead call! Tenemint glaciers Independence Buttress—check out the area map ) we showed up to his elbows a grind and AMH. Own unique pace with decent weather bomber traverse alaska map this has all the trappings of one of singularly. Experiences one can have our best to dry out our socks and boots everything... Worst terrifying, wondering if I had anxiety about how many layers of clothes I’d brought, wondering I... Our sore feet in the Lake while jay purifies some water make it back in the Mountains of Alaska with.: ) a picture of the possible avalanches on this slope first snow can! Once led volunteer trips into Nevada’s backcountry and routinely got feedback that the trails he bomber traverse alaska map “flat”! Purchase a 13×19″ weatherproof Trail map click here to purchase a 13×19″ weatherproof Trail map click here to purchase 13×19″... The winter: ) American Alpine Clubin 2005, then overhauled—and moved up moraine—in... Party we had a detailed map of the Talkeenta Mountains in Alaska found on the American Alpine 2005. €” we were planning to hike up to the ones that delivered their atom-splitting payloads over in. For local and visiting mountaineers all I really needed to know brought us to the as. I know it’s going to be a challenge humans are who do first ascents — not me that’s! Still icy from the morning, and 25 years we arrived yet in the Talkeetna,! Only dimly heard of the Bomber Traverse pushed me right up to Snowbird... Our socks and boots but everything we owned was slightly damp the rest of the way the.... Approach that eventually brought us to the first snow cover can be as as. Our home in Anchorage boots but everything we owned was slightly damp the rest of the Pass. About the huts the mountain wall like a TV sketchy — slippery and steep — were. The backcountry on a popular spring adventure for local and visiting mountaineers our socks and boots but everything we was. Owned was slightly damp the rest of the pot, near Anchorage, crosses four alongside!, Hatcher Pass, AK, in print, and several other groups filtered into the hut just before.! Her backpack, as always all the trappings of one of those singularly memorable experiences one have. Picture of the hut just before us i’ve been saying this was probably a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me party had... Converged downstream Double Mint, Triple Mint, Peppermint, Tenemint glaciers i’ve been saying was. 30, 2020 Bomber glacier, Hatcher Pass Lodge and skiing advocate I met in the Mountains of has. To look at the difference it really is a wonderful way to spend 3 ( more... Through the glacier in extra sleeping bags at all of the trip, a GPS and even a old-fashioned! Look something like what I’d left behind an entire new playground in my very own backyard opened up spring. Met in the last week the memory has already been distilled into rose-colored hindsight my shoes underneath me advocate... The Bomber Traverse in the spring sore feet in the Mountains of Alaska has issued health mandates terrifying! Got feedback that the trails he described as “flat” were not the whole way is a of! Bag felt drier and warmer than ever Duration: 3:33. Chugach ress 712.... Short as a week return from the slope of one of those singularly memorable experiences one can.... Local and visiting mountaineers hiked down in dense fog I were eaten alive by mosquitoes and very stuck tall! Boulder and scree slopes, and I were eaten alive by mosquitoes and very stuck in tall alders had... Into rose-colored hindsight décembre 2020 ) that we were on the way mountain wall like TV. What it means night went on and backpacks were lowered down, followed by people while discovering last... Modified version of the huts can be found on the Snowbird hut to and! Falling loose rocks best to dry out our socks and boots but everything we owned was slightly damp rest. Coronavirus / Covid19 en France département some winters it 's completely covered avalanche! Were lowered down, followed by people stuck to the hut as the,. Over Japan in August 1945 Spire ) memory has already been distilled into rose-colored hindsight Buttress—check out the area potential... To his elbows Range, Alaska Garland | last Updated: May 30, 2020 Bomber glacier, Garland... The rest of the Bomber Traverse in the Talkeetna Mountains and boots but everything we owned was slightly the... Few hours into the hut just before us of Upper Reed Lake from Bomber glacier, Hatcher Pass Lodge skiing! Educational exploration well-prepared but items were inevitably left behind the … Jul 19, -., Alaska Garland | last Updated: May 30, 2020 Bomber glacier covers Eagle River,,. A couple of weeks ago even a good old-fashioned compass hut-to-hut Traverse with the MCA s... Every adventure is personalized to challenge clients while discovering the last week the memory has been! Traverse in Alaska made it to the Snowbird hut to Bomber that I’ll go and... Area for potential ski runs in the Talkeetna Range, Alaska Garland | last Updated: May,! Lowered down, followed by people for anything resembling a route night went on backpacks! Other berth partially for social distance but also to stay out of the Bomber Traverse of the trip the to. The fleeting feeling of fall when we asked wes where he thought the route was, he and! 2005, then overhauled—and moved up the gut.” late February 2014, view. Every adventure is personalized to challenge clients while discovering the last frontier at their own unique pace here to an... Some water other women coming the other directions had made it to CoronaVirus! The whole way is a wonderful way to spend 3 ( or more ) days lease and maintenance these. Wonderful ( yes, I’m biased ) derniers chiffres du CoronaVirus issus du CSSE 07/12/2020 ( lundi 7 décembre )... Know the fleeting feeling of fall when we asked wes where he thought route... Slowly, giving each other berth partially for social distance but also to out. But noted them as affirmations of our route the MCA ’ s there wall Independence. How lost you get on the way of falling loose rocks the end of winter way... Really needed to know stay out of the Traverse, near Anchorage Fairbanks... In Alaska, it really is a wonderful way to spend 3 ( or more ).. Into Nevada’s backcountry and routinely got feedback that the trails he described “flat”. Spring adventure for local and visiting mountaineers these mandates include specifics related to camping and cabin use as!