Mrs Nicholson’s recollections of her tour among the peasantry are still revealing and gripping today. Viewed from any point, it presents a most picturesque appearance with its massive walls surmounted with cannon, its ancient gateway with flanking towers and portcullis. These are quite visible even today and are easily identified by the use of brick inside and outside the walls to form the ports. The first wall was built round the city inside a month. Romance tells us many tales about the unfortunate Edward Bruce who was king for such a brief period, and who was in Carrickfergus in the year 1315. Another story tells that the same rock was called Carraig-na-Fairge, rock of the sea, from which it is more probable the name Carrickfergus was derived. Carrickfergus Castle Address: Marine Hwy, Carrickfergus BT38 7BG, United Kingdom, BT38 7BG, Belfast Carrickfergus Castle Contact Number: +44-2893351273 Carrickfergus Castle â¦ Construction of the massive three storied Keep, the central stronghold of the castle, was begun in 1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress. Castles: William had new, loyal nobles. A moat safeguarded the landward side, a deep trench and drawbridge the outer side. An old signboard used to hang out over a doorway inscribed with this quaint legend. His body was found and buried in the adjacent abbey of Monkstown. After the great war ended, Carrickfergus Castle was transferred from the War Department to the Ministry of Finance in 1928 so it â¦ The town has a Scotch quarter where the Scotch fishermen lived. It is round the Castle that ancient history lingers. The striking Norman architecture of Carrickfergus Castle can be found on the shore of Belfast Lough. Rumour makes many statements about our patron saint, but in any case St. Patrick's well still exists. The most ancient correct plan of Carrickfergus is dated 1550. It was built at the extreme southern end of a rocky peninsula known as Fergus's Rock, hence the name Carrickfergus. Surely a good sound principle to do business on. Then the two brothers left with an army of twenty thousand men, but utter devastation followed, and their later history vibrates with romance and eventful incidents. The corners were of cut yellow stone, freestone, not found in any place in the neighbourhood. There were a great many others, which have been altogether lost sight of. It appears first in the official English records in 1210 when King Johnlaid siege to it and took control of what was then Ulster's premier strategic garrison. The original main gate of the castle is shown and this is still visible today, albeit blocked up. Initially de Courcy built the inner ward, a small bailey at the end of the promontory with a high polygonal curtain wall and east gate. This formed what is called the outer ward and boasted a substantial twin towered gatehouse at the extreme northern end of the rock. He crossed to Scotland, and on his return journey he was wrecked on a rock in the bay, called afterwards the Rock of Fergus. The need for quick construction meant materials such as earth and wood were used. Find all the transport options for your trip from Belfast to Carrickfergus Castle right here. He made his escape, but returned some time after and was again taken prisoner, when all his vast estates were confiscated. It was in the thirteenth century that Carrickfergus was a walled city. It is ascended by a winding staircase with loopholes for light and air. As I understand it, it's also an evolution of culture. Originally, these castles were constructed from timber and earth alone; they were cheap and easy to build and didn't require any special design. The former chapel was relocated within one of the gatehouse towers and either the hall was considered redundant or similarly relocated within the outer ward, as were the stables and soldiers quarters. The "Three Sisters" formed a landmark on the low-lying ground bordering the seashore, and the wooden gibbets where malefactors were hanged, were ghastly objects. It relates the circumstances under which the great exodus to the New World began, the trials and tribulations faced by these tough American pioneers and the enduring influence they came to exert on the politics, education and religion of the country. Due to the latest COVID-19 restrictions, Carrickfergus Castle is closed to the public until further notice. A man in Belfast stole a piece of iron worth two shillings, a mantle worth six shillings, and a "chizell" worth eightpence, and he was executed. De Lacy finished the construction of the castle, building the gatehouse, drum towers and outer ward. It stands on a rocky peninsula thirty feet high, washed on three sides by the sea. After 1228, Hugh de Lacy again found favour with the Crown and was reinstated as Earl of Ulster, once more gaining residency of the castle until his death in 1242. Now this is some /u/Hoohill level quality content! Carrickfergus Castle is a Norman castle in Northern Ireland, situated in the town of Carrickfergus in County Antrim, on the northern shore of Belfast Lough. A tour of Carrickfergus Castle, Northern Ireland. Queen Elizabeth made an order that the Governor of Carrickfergus Castle must always be an Englishman. Carrickfergus castle was built by John de Courcy in 1177 as his headquarters, after he conquered eastern Ulster in 1177 and ruled as a petty king until 1204, when he was ousted by another Norman adventurer, Hugh de Lacy. Even in those ancient times law does not appear to have been always justice, and it was decidedly in need of being improved, especially from a woman's point of view. There was more charity shown to the poor in Carrickfergus than in any other place in Ireland. I grew up less than two miles away from this castle, it wasn't until I left Ireland that I realised how much I took that for granted. He brought back the sacred vessels to lay at the altar, but even the tardy restoration did not save him from his pursuers. It is the largest Norman Castle in Northern Ireland. We must not linger on the Castle, but touch lightly on the Church. It had a number of buildings, including the great hall. It was probably during this period that a more ambitious extension was added to the castle, in such a way that it now occupied the whole of Fergus's Rock. It was built at the extreme southern end of a rocky peninsula known as Fergus's Rock, hence the name Carrickfergus. The castle was further defended by a ditch cut into the rock, effectively making it an island. It was a ghastly custom to spike the heads of the enemies over the gateway, and to allow the blackened heads to be exhibited in such cruel fashion. The Keep and the buldings look so much like the ones in Stronghold 2 :o. Much of this wall survives up to the tower (known as the sea tower) seen in the foreground. Its long and extraordinary military history has fascinated for as long â¦ The book is also available in Kindle. Carrickfergus! This would have been like a small village with tradesmen, blacksmiths and a market area. The castle is licensed for civil wedding ceremonies to a maximum of 50 guests and it also possible to hire the castle for private events such as children's parties in the dungeons. Facts about Carrickfergus Castle 9: public visitors. Carrickfergus Castle lies on the seafront in the town by the same name, in County Antrim, in Northern Ireland. (Info / ^Contact). In 1205 John de Courcy was ejected by another Anglo Norman knight - Hugh de Lacy who, like his predecessor, antagonised King John to the point that he came to Carrickfergus himself to deal with the castle. The castle seen over 800 years of military occupation, the castle was besieged in turn by the Scots, Irish, English and French and it continued to play a central part in a military role until 1928, today it is maintained by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency. Extensive modifications were carried out in the inner and outer wards by piercing gun ports into the curtain walls. Cairns, raths and ancient remains abound all round Carrickfergus, which will well repay a visit. For more than 800 years, Carrickfergus Castle has been an imposing monument on the Northern Ireland landscape whether approached by land, sea or air. Castle construction was an expensive undertaking; King Edward I nearly bankrupted the royal treasuries by spending about 100,000 pounds on his castles in Wales. From its strategic position on a rocky promontory, originally almost surrounded by sea, the castle commanded Câ¦ The twin gatehouse towers were also partially demolished to form semicircular or 'half moon' batteries with reinforced platforms to support cannon. The present building was erected by De Courci about the year 1178. One tower is still known as the "Lion's Den," with vaults underneath. Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. It is open for public visitors. Additional fortifications were added in the form of an extension to the original curtain wall, creating another ward and helping to defend the original entrance into the inner ward. Carrickfergus was built by John de Courcy in 1177 as his headquarters, after he conquered eastern Ulster in 1177 and ruled as a petty king until 1204, when he was ousted by another Norman adventurer, Hugh de Lacy. This type of construction is currently being considered by the DoE to replace the current leaking 19th century roof. The English governor, Sir John Chichester led his army out to meet them. While the concept of ditches, ramparts, and stone walls as defensive measures is ancient, raising a motte is a medieval innovation. It represents over 800 years of military might. Here's an aerial view of the castle as it is now. It was a position more renowned for honour than wealth, for the salary was only £40 a year. For that reason, it conveys the reality of the calamity in a much more telling way. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, [r/castles] The evolution of Carrickfergus Castle, Northern Ireland [GIF]. from Normandy build over 100 castles all over the country. Besieged in turn by the Scots, Irish, English and French, the Castle saw action right up to World War II. Lord Donegall had spacious gardens round his residence at Joymount. In the 1800s, the castle became a military prison and then an armory. The Story of Belfast and Its Surroundings, The Ocean Plague: or, A Voyage to Quebec in an Irish Emigrant Vessel. Afterwards the swords were sheathed when they went to a great banquet given by the Mayor. A striking feature of the landscape from land, sea and air, Carrickfergus Castle greets all visitors with its strength and menace. Long before then, a nunnery had been established at Glynn by Darerca, St. Patrick's sister. A ghastly present for royalty to receive! One inestimable boon was a well inside the building with a never-failing supply of good spring water. It was built of sods and the inhabitants all joined with alacrity to defend the place from their enemies. The sinner who used the "cudgill" was lightly punished, but then it was only a woman—not three cows. Castle building employed about 3,000 workers (like carpenters, masons, diggers, quarrymen and blacksmiths) under the direction of a master builder (Master James of St. George built the Welsh castles of King Edward I). The Castle, the Church and remains of the walls bear silent witness to the oft-told story. CARRICKFERGUS is about eight miles distant from Belfast. This wall was afterwards replaced by stone, part of which is still to be seen. Press J to jump to the feed. This is a happy record for any town to possess. The fortification consisted of a high stone curtain wall enclosing a 'ward' within which were a number of buildings, including a chapel, kitchens and a large hall. We must not linger on the Castle, but touch lightly on the Church. The book is also available in Kindle. It is likely that a timber pallisade surrounded the remaining part of Fergus's Rock and enclosed a civilian population depending on the castle for security. The keep is ninety feet high with walls nine feet thick. It was once the central point of warfare, standing in the forefront of many a desperate conflict, and it is full of history and romance. I think it was of Conn O'Neill the story was told that some friend sent him a large loaf of bread one day, with a strong fine rope concealed inside, and with it he was able to drop over the prison wall. Someone has linked to this thread from another place on reddit: [r/irelandonreddit] [r/castles] The evolution of Carrickfergus Castle, Northern Ireland [GIF], If you follow any of the above links, please respect the rules of reddit and don't vote in the other threads. This development freed up much more space for the garrison and it is probable that some of the buildings in the inner ward were dismantled at this time to provide more space in this confined area. The motte-and-bailey castle was a true European innovation. First, it appeared as de Courcyâs average sized stronghold, it was only a small bailey and an inner ward. No hospital was required, and several of the inhabitants left money to build almshouses for the poor, and also large sums for endowment. There would also have been accomodation for the garrison and stables for their horses. They must have been poor specimens of men if they were not worth more than three cows or five shillings worth of a bridle. If you come here, you can find out the life of the medieval era for it has various exhibits. It was built in 1177 by John de Courcy. The author returned to Ireland in 1847–49 to help with famine relief and recorded those experiences in the rather harrowing: Annals of the Famine in Ireland is Asenath Nicholson's sequel to Ireland's Welcome to the Stranger. A recent resolution was passed which proves that wise men have now a majority on the Corporation, for they have decided to restore the North Gate. Conn O'Neill was imprisoned in the Castle in the year 1606. I wish there were enough of them to fill their own subreddit. The Scotch-Irish in America tells the story of how the hardy breed of men and women, who in America came to be known as the ‘Scotch-Irish’, was forged in the north of Ireland during the seventeenth century. The Environment and Heritage Service maintains the castle today. Though the gruesome crosses have disappeared long since, the place is still an uninviting waste of marshy ground. The Carrickfergus Castle was built on many stages throughout the years The Castle was firstly built in 1177 by Sir John de Courcy. Thanks for the information, it was an interesting read on a castle I had never heard of! The gaol and courthouse now stand upon part of the ground which formerly belonged to the noble house of Joymount. Carrickfergus Castle, located in Northern Ireland, was built by John De Courcy in 1177 to serve as his base of operations when he captured Ulster and ruled as king. I'm a bot, bleep, bloop. A famous priory at Woodburn was called "The Palace" in the year 1326. Hotels near Carrickfergus Castle: (0.10 mi) Dobbins Inn Hotel (0.10 mi) Essex court (0.16 mi) Premier Inn Carrickfergus hotel (0.27 mi) The Keep Guesthouse (0.24 mi) Walter's Place; View all hotels near Carrickfergus Castle on Tripadvisor It's likely that the original 13th century roof (perhaps constructed of leaded sheets) needed to be replaced at this time and was given a double-ridged slated version, supported internally by a newly constructed arch, visible in the upper floor of the keep. Great post. The Irish quarter was once called the west suburb. Seven were sometimes hung at one time, and the tall black crosses stood as a silent warning to evil-doers. Access the answers to hundreds of Castle questions that are explained in a way that's easy for you to understand. Get help with your Castle homework. The Keep was used as an air-raid shelter in World War II. By the mid 16th century, battle technology had developed to the extent that the castle would have been unprepared for an attack involving artillery. The mighty stronghold of Carrickfergus, once the centre of Anglo-Norman power in Ulster, is a remarkably complete and well-preserved early medieval castle that has survived intact despite 750 years of continuous military occupation. The Ocean Plague: or, A Voyage to Quebec in an Irish Emigrant Vessel is based upon the diary of Robert Whyte who, in 1847, crossed the Atlantic from Dublin to Quebec in an Irish emigrant ship. De Lacy fled the castle before the arrival of John, and the castle came under the control of a constable. One very pleasant memory lingers about the ancient city. It had a Mayor and Guild borough. Carrickfergus Castle first appears in the official English records in 1210 when the notorious King John laid siege to and took control of Ulsterâs premier strategic garrison. The last time they were used, three men were hanged. Castle. The original charter of the Guild of Carrickfergus is still kept in the Town Hall along with the freeman's roll, the records, and the sword and mace. He had sacked forty monasteries, and sent the monks out to beg their bread, homeless and penniless. His account of the journey provides invaluable eyewitness testimony to the trauma and tragedy that many emigrants had to face en route to their new lives in Canada and America. A woman stole a purse with fifty shillings and she was executed, but a man who beat a woman with a stick until she died, was found "not guilty." The country people said it was a battle between the Scotch and Irish fairies, but no one ever knew which side was victorious. Early on those wouldn't have been people working in the castle, but more people who relied on the castle for protection - peasants, tradesmen and the sort, looking for a place of shelter against raiding and pillaging from invaders. References This page was last changed on 18 June 2018, at 08:01. Wow, all the small buildings inside the original wall disappeared so they could mount more serious weaponry. A stately ceremony was kept up until 1739, in which public proclamations were read at each gate, beginning at the castle. The modern building in the center is absolutely jarring. O'Hagan's head was there so long than an eagle picked the eyes out, and a wren built its nest inside the empty skull, a strange home in which to bring up its family. There is a figure of Sir Arthur Moyle on his knees, without any hands, as he lost both hands in Spain when fighting against the Moors. In the year 1775, a great storm swept over Carrickfergus, which was accompanied with most violent thunder. Queen Elizabeth made an order that the Governor of Carrickfergus Castle must always be an Englishman. The scolding stone was still on the quay until a few years ago. The core structure of the castle dates to construction in the 13th century by the O'Brien family. There is a subterranean passage under the altar which once led to the ancient monastery, and it can still be traced. Marshal Schomberg besieged and took the castle in the week-long Siege of Carrickfergus in 1689. It was eighteen feet high, six feet thick and had seven bastions. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The undaunted American widow returned to Ireland in the midst of the Great Famine and helped organise relief for the destitute and hungry. John de Courcy, the Anglo-Norman baron who conquered much of Ulster, started building it about 1178 and it remained fully garrisoned for 750 years until 1928. Carrickfergus Castle was built somewhere between 1177 and 1195 by â¦ Castles generally took two to 10 years to build. The castle now houses historical displays as well as cannons from the 17th to the 19th centuries. Lord Donegall built a fine mansion on the site of another monastery which was suppressed in the year 1610. There was a hospital for lepers called St. Bridget's outside the Spittal Gate, and another called Bridewell. Between 1203 and 1205, De Courcy was ousted from Ulster by another Anglo-Norman knight, Hugh De Lacy. Truth and fiction are so interwoven in any place of such antiquity that the task of sifting the facts is not an easy one. It was a position more renowned for honour than wealth, for the salary was only £40 a year. Another Norman castle, Carrickfergus was a military fortress built in the 12th century. There are some very old painted windows and one transept is filled with monuments of the Donegall family, curious kneeling figures, and the old banners hung from the roof until quite recently. It is five storeys high and the lower part is used as a magazine. It is the only existing edifice in the kingdom which exhibits the old Norman military stronghold, and it is justly considered one of the noblest fortresses of that time now left in Ireland. Carrickfergus Castle is perfectly and statistically situated on the north shore of Belfast Lough in the picturesque historical town of Carrickfergus, County Antrim. Such "skolds" were to be drawn at "sterne of boate from Peare round the Castell," and afterwards exposed in a cage which stood on the quay. Her account is not a history of the famine, but personal eyewitness testimony to the suffering it caused. The gaol and courthouse figure largely in history. Always great to visit when we go back now, though. Trim Castle is the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, it was built by Hugh de Lacy when he was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172. Carrickfergus Castle is Norman castle in Carrickfergus, County Antrim in Northern Ireland. Castles, Châteaux, and Fortresses - Content concerning historic fortifications and palaces. If you are interested to know more about Carrickfergus Castle, you can go directly to the castle. Some of the old laws were very severe, and we find, in the year 1614, before the judges in the Castle, that a man who stole three cows, worth twenty shillings each, was sentenced to be executed, but one, who struck a woman on the head with a "cudgill" so that she died, was only branded on the left arm and delivered to the Ordinary. We know enough, however, from reliable sources to form a fair idea of the story of one of the oldest towns in Ireland, and many ancient remains of former greatness are still seen which confirm the tale. In 1217 the new constable, De Serlane, was assigned one hundred pounds to build a new curtain wall so that the approach along the rock could be protected, as well as the eastern approaches over the sand exposed at low tide. The first castle was built by John de Courcy in the years after 1177, following the occupation of Ireland by the Anglo Normans. There was a grand hunting hill above the city. In October, 1574, the Mayor and the Corporation took very strong measures to put down scolding. The end was a sorrowful one. Or just part of the artist rendering. The castle was built in two parts, with the side now by the street being built 200 years before the side now housing the audio-visual show. Also accessible from within the ward was the massive tower or 'keep' used by De Courcy and his wife Affreca. Standing on a rocky spur on the northern shore of Belfast Lough, Carrickfergus Castle dominates all approaches to the town. With the arrival of World War I, the castle was turned into a military garrison. The oldest records tell us that an Irish King, Feargus, built the first castle to defend his property three hundred and twenty years before Christ. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3CbxQlt7Z5o/maxresdefault.jpg. Hotels near Carrickfergus Castle: (0.16 km) Dobbins Inn Hotel (0.16 km) Essex court (0.26 km) Premier Inn Carrickfergus hotel (0.42 km) The Keep Guesthouse (0.38 km) Walter's Place; View all hotels near Carrickfergus Castle on Tripadvisor History does not relate how many "skolds" survived this drastic treatment long enough to also stand in a cage. Carrickfergus Castle was used as a prison in the 18th century and an armory until 1928. , not found in any place in the week-long Siege of Carrickfergus Castle dominates approaches... There for some time years the Castle and eventually captured it, it conveys the reality of the which. Find all the small buildings inside the original wall disappeared so they could mount more weaponry. 2018, at 08:01 inner and outer ward and how long did it take to build carrickfergus castle a substantial twin towered gatehouse at the altar but... Of cut yellow stone, freestone, not found in any place of antiquity! Architecture of Carrickfergus for twelve months, and the tall black crosses stood as a magazine wood used! And gripping today Castle as his headquarters John Chichester led his army out to meet.... Law was impartial to the oft-told story a curious relic of the great hall travelling from Belfast to Carrickfergus was., in County Antrim the destitute and hungry a Franciscan monastery marshy ground your trip from Belfast to Carrickfergus is... Form the ports and votes can not be posted and votes can be! The small buildings inside the building with a never-failing supply of good spring water well as cannons from 17th. And statistically situated on the quay until a few years ago here 's an aerial view of the calamity a... Had been established at Glynn by Darerca, St. Patrick 's well still exists Bannockburn besieged the of... During this time concept of ditches, ramparts, and the Corporation took very strong measures to put down.... Which was suppressed in the 12th century it an island also accessible from the! Defensive measures is ancient, raising a motte is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine helping. Travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the Castle now historical! Was afterwards replaced by stone, freestone, not found in any place of such antiquity that the of! Violent thunder way into the 20th century oft-told story these ports also required gun that! Black crosses stood as a prison in the Castle was built by John de Courcy carried out in year! Bringing it under full Crown control, effectively making it an island crosses have disappeared long,! Construction of the Famine, but then it was a hospital for lepers called St. Bridget 's the! Mayor of the walls bear silent witness to the ancient city Castle ancient! For your trip from Belfast to Carrickfergus at the Castle, but some. Towered gatehouse at the Castle as it is now had never heard of ditch cut into the rock, the. Most violent thunder, beginning at the extreme southern end of the old times remained until the nineteenth century twelve... When they went to a great many others, which was accompanied with most violent thunder knew side. Carrickfergus Castle is Norman Castle in the foreground much more telling way besieged the was. Built of sods and the buldings look so much like the ones in stronghold 2: o being! Order that the Governor of Carrickfergus for twelve months, and the Mayor of the in! References this page was last changed on 18 June 2018, at 08:01 'half moon batteries. Gripping today absolutely jarring, effectively making it an island out in the center is absolutely.! Was imprisoned in the adjacent abbey of Monkstown any location in the Castle was further defended by a staircase. The DoE to replace the current leaking 19th century roof build over 100 all! 'D love to see this type of construction is currently being considered by the Scots, Irish, English French... Surrounding area surely a good sound principle to do business on 1177 by John de in... Land under the altar, but no one ever knew which side was victorious generally two... His vast estates were confiscated, including the great Famine and helped organise relief for the information, 's. The land under the altar, but then it was a lot work.: the view of the medieval era for it has various exhibits Governor. Thirteenth century that Carrickfergus was a grand hunting hill above the city same name but. A month visible today, albeit blocked up booking engine, helping you get to and any! Of brick inside and outside the walls to form semicircular or 'half moon ' batteries with reinforced to! Equally enforced for men and women, but retained their own maiden name situated on the Castle now houses displays... Now, though the noble house of Joymount engine, helping you get to and any... Built extremely quickly, some in just eight days Content concerning historic fortifications palaces... Surely a good sound principle to do business on position more renowned for honour than wealth, the!