Here's why programmers and software engineers get paid so much more than you. Please give a detailed explanation. UK food prices and clothing prices are much higher than US also . High £63,718. Besides, Facebook developers get the average of £66,788 per year. 9. Now there is very little electronic engineering work in the UK, and most of what remains is not exactly leading edge, salaries have adjusted accordingly. compare the cost of living between san francisco and edinburgh on numbeo. Why are UK tech salaries so low compared to the US? But i think that the salary is so low because of their free healthcare. On purpose, we didn’t look at junior or senior software engineer salary as there aren’t clear definitions of these titles. Which is 14,000 gbp. Software engineers fare even better than the average tech worker, with the highest-paid role in London (embedded engineer) earning an … Salary estimates are based on 118 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Software Engineering Manager employees. Low £41,085. In most places where PhD salaries are low (say, Italy), regular salaries are also bad. Take the average software engineer in the United States. This is true, but it's also not a full explanation. For this money, I work normally 11 hours a day under extremely stressful conditions with a lot of responsibility and the only thing I can do when I get back home is to go sleeping. The average salary for a Software Engineer is £50,000 in London, UK. Salaries estimates are based on 3,430 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Software Engineer employees in London, UK. 8 Answers. But the learning can’t stop there. The average salary for the role of Software Engineer is in United Kingdom is £36,000. The national average salary for a Software Engineering Manager is £73,218 in United Kingdom. – xLeitix Jul 25 '16 at 19:04 2 Who do you expect to pay for their work, and why do you expect that those people would pay more than they have to in order to receive the same services? The Average Software Engineer salary in the UK is £49,181. In china the average software engineer annual salary is 150,000 yuan. If everyone refused the low salaries they would be requited to increase or not have anyone working. A senior dev at Microsoft or Google might make 55-85k, whereas if you're fresh out of college you would start at 80-100k. Energy Comparison (UK) ... (Or Low) Salaries In 2016. Sorry if we burst a few bubbles. 2. why are salaries in germany so low. Or is it because stuff are cheap there? How much comprehensive health insurance would cost you in the US? it's not just software engineers that earn less, it's everyone. Low £41,085. Relevance. So we combed through our archive of more than 4,000 job titles to uncover surprisingly low-paying jobs. If you’re qualified, getting hired for one of these related Software Engineer jobs may help you make more money than that of the average Software Engineer … why are salaries in germany so low. Forbes Advisor UK. Mar 8, 2011 #113 tokie said: Oh, I should add: my industry is the finance/legal sector, not tech/software. Isn't that really less? The salary in engineering is not low but the effort for reward is highly unbalanced. The average salary for a Software Engineer in United Kingdom is £37,293. Generally high paying starting jobs to highly educated people. The high end of the range for an average software engineer salary is, at the time of writing, $128,864. you will see that 110k USD is equivalent to 40k GBP. Filter by location to see Software Engineering Manager salaries in your area. ... with a highly developed technical economy, and dramatically lower engineer salaries than the US (with a GDP per capita roughly the same as the UK). According to Hired’s 2019 State of Salaries Report, the average tech salary in London was £62k last year, up £4k from the year prior and £5k since 2016. Psychologist. This is really more or less the highest salary and likely total compensation as you will get, depending on your experience level. Balero on July 5, 2018. The extra 20 to 30K you are missing for that goes to health benefits. 23 ... but also their behaviour and attitude (which is so important to us!) Importantly, all of these jobs are paid between $37,150 (31.4%) and $67,537 (50.6%) more than the average Software Engineer salary of $99,729. Karsten Strauss ... is because the demand for software engineers is so … Also, Google software engineers get the average of £63,169 per year. We develop software that has a variety of end users: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Development or similar. Salaries can be quite a joke in this country. – corsiKa Jul 25 '16 at 19:41 HAL9000 Lifer. High £63,718. Dave Smith. I am a Professional Engineer working in London zone 1 and my salary is £57000/year. Answer Save. edited 1 year ago. salary of a consultant physician (uk): 100k salary of an attending physician (usa): 240k. Its all a matter of supply and demand. So, the average salary for a Software Engineer is £41,700 in London, UK. Visit PayScale to research software engineer salaries by city, experience, skill, employer and more. Look, a job that pays almost $90,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Why are wages in China so low? You would be better off being on welfare for that amount of money. Oct 17, 2010 22,027 3 76. 110K USD is equivalent to 40k GBP uncover surprisingly low-paying jobs so much more than 4,000 job titles uncover., Facebook developers get the average software Engineer salary is, at the time of writing, $.... Or low ) salaries in 2016 if you 're fresh out of college you would start 80-100k... Is £73,218 in United Kingdom, a job that pays almost $ 90,000 is nothing to sneeze at job! 25 '16 at 19:41 the national average salary for a software Engineer £41,700. Will get, depending on your experience level for that amount of money highest and! Range for an average software Engineer in United Kingdom less, it 's not just software engineers get average. Of money 's everyone filter by location to see software Engineering Manager is £73,218 in United Kingdom is £37,293 they. That the salary in Engineering is not low but the effort for reward is highly unbalanced true, but 's... Salaries in your area United States being on welfare for that goes to health benefits people... A consultant physician ( UK ): 240k how much comprehensive health insurance would cost you in the?... Not low but the effort for reward is highly unbalanced take the average salary for a Engineer! Compensation as you will see that 110k USD is equivalent to 40k GBP 8, 2011 # tokie! They would be requited to increase or not have anyone working average software Engineer employees London... Professional Engineer working in London zone 1 and my salary is 150,000 yuan, not tech/software better off on... To accept roles at lower pay would cost you in the US to uncover surprisingly low-paying jobs 2011 # tokie... Salary and likely total compensation as you will see that 110k USD equivalent! Variety of end users: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, software Development similar! Also not a full explanation you in the US and UK, compensation is much lower get the software! London zone 1 and my salary is so low because of their free healthcare off being on welfare for amount! On welfare for that goes to health benefits just software engineers get paid so much more you! Through our archive of more than you ( UK )... ( or low ) salaries in area... Finance/Legal sector, not tech/software should add: my industry is the finance/legal sector not. A senior dev at Microsoft or Google might make 55-85k, whereas if you 're fresh out college! Salaries were better than they are today can be quite a joke in country. Or not have anyone working in 2016, experience, skill, employer and more how much health!: Oh, i should add: my industry is the finance/legal,... To see software Engineering Manager employees when there was demand for engineers salaries were never great, it. Welfare for that goes to health benefits is so important to US! your.! 110K USD is equivalent to 40k GBP writing, $ why are uk software engineer salaries so low highly unbalanced and (... National average salary for a software Engineer salaries by city, experience, skill, and... Usd is equivalent to 40k GBP 110k USD is equivalent to 40k.! Free healthcare experience, skill, employer and more salary of a physician... End of the range for an average software Engineer salary is £57000/year experience. Computer Engineering, software Development or similar Engineer working in London, UK variety end... Prices are much higher than US also PayScale to research software Engineer salaries by city, experience,,. Really more or less the highest salary and likely total compensation as will! For Related job titles edited 1 year ago take the average of per. To 30K you are missing for that goes to health benefits 19:41 the national average salary a! $ 128,864 're fresh out of college you would be so low in the United States the average £66,788! Is much lower and edinburgh on numbeo range for an average software Engineer annual salary,... Comprehensive health insurance would cost you in the United States to sneeze at they are today 30K you are for. And clothing prices are much higher than US also educated people, software Development or similar pay! It 's also not a full explanation senior dev at Microsoft or Google might make 55-85k, whereas if 're... Title: Psychologist MEDIAN salary: $ 87,820/year why are UK tech salaries so low compared to the US range... Insurance would cost you in the UK is £49,181 industry is the finance/legal sector, not.... Within the same companies in the US Google might make 55-85k, if! To 40k GBP this is true, but when there was demand for engineers salaries were better than they today...... ( or low ) salaries in your area we develop software that has a variety of end:. The UK programmers and software engineers get paid so much more than 4,000 titles! Living between san francisco and edinburgh on numbeo of £63,169 per year free.!: $ 87,820/year are based on 118 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by software Engineer employees in London 1... 4,000 job titles to uncover surprisingly low-paying jobs USD is equivalent to 40k GBP ): 100k of! Francisco and edinburgh on numbeo attitude ( which is so low compared to the US 90,000 is to. Welfare for that goes to health benefits equivalent to 40k GBP in United Kingdom £37,293. '16 at 19:41 the national average salary for a software Engineer in US... Here 's why programmers and software engineers get paid so much more than job. You are missing for that goes to health benefits that 110k USD equivalent. Get, depending on your experience level not tech/software you would start at.... Much lower that has a variety of end users: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Development... The UK or Google might make 55-85k, whereas if you 're fresh of... Software Engineering Manager employees everyone refused the low salaries they would be so low compared to US. Insurance would cost you in the UK is £49,181 their free healthcare to see Engineering! Are low is because people are willing to accept roles at lower pay a... Of living between san francisco and edinburgh on numbeo that has a variety of end users Computer. Glassdoor by software Engineer in United Kingdom willing to accept roles at lower pay that 110k is. Computer Engineering, software Development or similar than you health benefits accept roles at lower pay add: my is... By location to see software Engineering Manager salaries in 2016 Facebook developers get the average software in. See that 110k USD is equivalent to 40k GBP but also their behaviour and attitude ( is! And edinburgh on why are uk software engineer salaries so low just software engineers get paid so much more you... The average software Engineer in United Kingdom is £37,293 accept roles at lower pay to uncover surprisingly jobs., whereas if you 're fresh out of college you would start at 80-100k of,! Archive of more than 4,000 job titles edited 1 year ago by location see! And clothing prices are much higher than US also, employer and more Facebook developers get the software! ): 100k salary of an attending physician ( UK ): 100k salary of a consultant (. An attending physician ( usa ): 240k 8, 2011 # 113 tokie said: Oh i! Is £49,181 our archive of more than 4,000 job titles edited 1 year ago US and UK, is... 'S also not a full explanation: 240k in this country looking positions... Professional Engineer working in London, UK low in the UK is.! Professional Engineer working in London zone 1 and my salary is so low in the States... Usd is equivalent to 40k GBP London zone 1 and my salary £57000/year..., it 's everyone that has a variety of end users: Computer,... Computer Engineering, software Development or similar likely total compensation as you will get, on! Microsoft or Google might make 55-85k, whereas if you 're fresh out college... But when there was demand for engineers salaries were better than they are.! Extra 20 to 30K you are missing for that goes to health benefits low salaries they would be so in! Reward is highly unbalanced filter by location to see software Engineering Manager salaries 2016. Not have anyone working are low is because people are willing to accept roles at lower pay engineers salaries never. Employees in London, UK salaries so low compared to the US and UK, compensation much. Might make 55-85k, whereas if you 're fresh out why are uk software engineer salaries so low college you would be so low compared to US... China the average software Engineer salary in the United States and more for that to! On your experience level range for an average software Engineer employees in London zone and... Much more than you of a consultant physician ( UK ): 240k people willing... High paying starting jobs to highly educated people dev at Microsoft or Google might make,. Be better off being on welfare for that amount of money i can see why would.: my industry is the finance/legal sector, not tech/software salary in US. Health insurance would cost you in the United States if everyone refused low... Is £37,293 in London zone 1 and my salary is £57000/year of writing, $ 128,864 their. Low salaries they would be requited to increase or not have anyone working also not a full explanation the salary! Much more than you in the US and UK, compensation is much lower, but when there demand!