Glean.ly is unique in allowing you to gather evidence from across your organisation. So even if you're the sole researcher on your team, you can get all the power of a leading-edge research and insights platform. UX Research Repository Give your entire organization access to insights. Each survey insight focuses on a key theme/question (for example: mobile usage) and is supported by data derived from the survey results. Reduce time to find research with consistent documentation and speed up onboarding of new team members. Primary research is the type you do yourself. A user research repository is a digital platform that stores and organizes all of your UX research data so that it can be easily searched and reused again later. Users collect tiny bits of information. Usually, an insight looks like a statement with a corresponding direct quote from a user. I read (lots) of articles on Atomic Research and realized we could use a similar approach for managing our insights. In a half hour interview, I usually collect about 20 unique insights. You know that a research repository will set your team up to find and share research more easily and to stop insights from falling through the cracks. Meet the UX Research Database. We’re also experimenting with using the UXR Insights repository for quantitative forms of research, such as surveys. Experiments “We did this…” Facts “…and we found out this…” Insights “…which … I set up 1:1 interviews with every product manager at GitLab. Another great resource for inspiration is Bestfolios, the largest curation of best UX research and designer portfolios, resumes, case studies and design resources. Get the evidence-based answers you need to inform product and strategy decisions when you need them. This Checklist will help you understand the most important aspects you need to consider when implementing an effective UX research repository. Learn about the vision behind Microsoft’s research repository, HITS, and how we designed it. Give your entire organization access to insights. In these interviews, I learned reports weren’t working for our product managers either. The importance of user research An insights repository is a place to store and access insights gathered from user research. We ended up copying parts of our reports into issues, which felt like a duplication of effort. Measure the impact of every insight against a range of quantitative metrics. I had a vague idea of what was in my own reports, but I didn't know where to start with reports produced by other UX researchers. Reports that felt ‘old’ or ‘stale’ were rarely revisited, but the reports contained insights that could be triangulated with more recent research. At the time, I was GitLab’s first and only UX researcher. Store all of your research data and insights in one searchable UX research repository. This is our first iteration of the UXR Insights repository. The different user research methods available. Git is a trademark of Software Freedom Conservancy and our use of 'GitLab' is under license, UX research manager Sarah O'Donnell shares how her team built a UX Research Insights repository in @gitlab. UX research at GitLab The goal of UX research at GitLab is to connect with GitLab users all around the world and gather insight into their behaviors, motivations, and goals. One of the biggest challenges faced by UX researchers is organizing and storing user research effectively, so that anyone can find and use insights. Analyze qualitative data Collect and analyze your research data, highlight important user quotes, spot patterns, discover new themes, link facts to insights, easily transcribe audio/video recordings, and more. Not all of our insights are necessarily actionable right away – sometimes more evidence is required (especially with the gems we unintentionally discover during our studies). UX researchers were spending a large part of their days searching through past insights, when their time would be better spent speaking with users and uncovering new insights. TRY FREE FOR 30 DAYS Don't take our word for it, hear what UX, research, product, marketing and copywriting people who do research every day have to say about Aurelius Do more valuable research and do it faster. However, early signs indicate that (unsurprisingly) no UX researchers are missing writing reports! GitLab is more than just source code management or CI/CD. Whenever anybody asked me if I had witnessed users experiencing a particular problem, I’d rack my brain trying to work out which research report might contain the answer. We expect improvements will be required along the way, and the UX team is planning to review how the repository is working after 90 days. We use labels to tag and organize insights. Good insights have longevity. A A successful insight repository should make storing, searching and sharing insights equally easy. Or they can cross-link to the insight in a supporting issue or epic. The epic description usually contains our research methodology and any background information about users. Regular "office hours" for team members to ask questions and get direct support, Assistance bringing your existing research into Handrail, Admin training and assistance integrating Handrail into existing research-ops processes in your organization. I’d hunt out issues in the GitLab CE project where I felt I could add value. I created new issues for the insights we weren’t previously aware of and didn’t have documented. This allows anyone to quickly search and filter through issues to find the insights they need. Collect user feedback. We never envisioned moving our research to an insights repository when we originally wrote and formatted our reports. This means that you’ll receive a dynamic list of results when searching through the repository. The UXR Insights repository is the new single source of truth for all user insights discovered by GitLab’s UX researchers and UX/product designers. It’s like baking a cake from scratch. “As Kate proposed in her April 2018 Medium article, ‘ResearchOps Community: A Series of Global Workshops,’ this community has since conducted a series of workshops whose goals were to 1. provide an opportunity for user researchers to … Analyze, Search and Share All Your Research Insights In One Place From Raw Research Data to Key Insights in Moments TRY FREE FOR 30 DAYS Simple, lightweight and flexible, Aurelius includes everything you need and nothing you don't. We use epics and GitLab’s related issues functionality to track issues from the same research study. Susan Farrell published a solid UX Research cheat sheet for the Nielsen Norman Group in 2017. Usually, a member of the Product or UX/Product Design team would open the issue, which was often sparked by user feedback from social media, during a customer meeting, or even in response to a prior issue. By consolidating your findings into a centralized database, you can streamline your UX workflow, turn qualitative user feedback into structured, quantifiable data, and systematically process that feedback for insights. Start a Free 30 Day Trial No credit card required Schedule a Demo to see Handrail for yourself Without a shadow of a doubt: Inside GitLab's We use these insights to inform and strengthen product and design decisions. This might include notes from customer calls and visits, videos of user sessions, customer feedback and forum posts, and full unfiltered survey responses. It was difficult to structure and share data in a clear and concise way. Epics didn’t exist yet, so there was no way to collectively group issues from the same study. Unlike in a report, insights are continually added. It was my responsibility to help the teams determine how we could best address user needs, motivations, and pain points, or if the request was an edge case. Methodological Diversity. “She has also coalesced a community around ResearchOps on Medium. Instead of reports, we use issues to document key findings from research studies. I could label issues, but we discovered (maybe ironically) with UX research that GitLab’s search functionality needed improvements. Doing research in Handrail automatically results in "deep data", rich behavioral insights that stay linked to their evidence and the participants involved. Forming the solid foundation of the customer insights repository is the raw customer research data. Open issues and epics indicate that the research study is still in progress and the UX researcher and/or UX/product designer is still adding insights to the repository. At Handrail, we not only store research. Feel free to play around with it, make it yours and use it on projects. GitLab’s issue functionality has improved immensely since then. For example: We’re conducting some usability testing. There’s now a range of formatting options for issues, and our search functionality includes the ability to search by labels. I’d sift through multiple reports, scanning everything I had previously written. The UXR Insights repository is within the GitLab.org group, meaning that product managers who create issue boards at a group level to manage their workflow can simply add an insight to their board when they are ready to act on it. One of our values is iteration: We do the smallest thing possible and get it out as quickly as possible. We decided to keep our insights separate from the GitLab CE and EE projects, which is where our Product and UX/Product Design teams typically work. Observing the User Experience, Second Edition: A Practitioner’s Guide to User Research. Like most good researchers, I’d always learn more than what I intended to during a study. Upload data in a variety of formats and organize your learnings … While every issue within the repository contains a single insight on a particular topic, the insight can relate to multiple users. Observing the User Experience presents a set of research techniques that help UX practitioners see the world through the eyes of their users. Stop duplicating studies that have already been done. A nugget is a combination of an observation (something we learned), evidence (an … Tags Key Insights, Research Ops, Researchops, User Research, User Research Repository, Ux Nuggets, Ux Research Create Company Wide Empathy with a User Research Repository Creating insights to share and act on is the most important work you do as a UX or user research professional. I wanted to confirm whether people outside of the UX Research team also felt these problems. Our insights are the smallest, meaningful morsel of information that we gleaned from user research. What UX researchers do on a daily basis. This worked well for a little while, but then the cracks started to show. Instead of reports, we use issues to document key findings from research studies. Built with web database tool Airtable, our UX research database is the central hub for our customer-centric learnings at Zapier. You may be wondering why we reverted to issues, given the problems of a couple of years ago. We want everyone to be able to conduct research effectively and to be able to accurately add their findings to the insights repository. Our research reports directly addressed the research questions formed with the Product and UX/Product Design teams and were extremely focused on a topic or feature. Retrospectively adding insights means we’ve had to make some compromises; we haven’t always been able to use the insight structure that we want to use going forward. Are you planning to or are in the process of building a Research repository? You could use a conventional database or a spreadsheet to store your insights, but while this might be a good way to store and search insights if you’re a researcher, it isn’t a great medium for sharing them with people outside of your team. I documented my research questions and insights in the associated issues living in the CE project. Our research repository provides easy access to essential insights for everyone in your organization, all in one place. Each insight is supported with evidence, typically in the form of a video clip or statistical data. EnjoyHQ helps make everything accessible” We also give people valuable tools for planning research, collecting data, performing analysis, and surfacing insights. It is a full software development lifecycle & DevOps tool in a single application. Building a customer insights repository The Ultimate User Research Repository Checklist 2.0 Helping your team to store, organize and share research findings and insights shouldn’t be complicated. Agile research approaches, the rise self-serve research tools, assessing cognitive biases, generation of iterative insight, the focus on real vs. claimed behaviour and many other of the moment research trends have long been part of the UX research world. Plan, collect, analyze, and share user research in a centralized, searchable repository. The atomic unit of a research insight in Polaris is called a nugget. Four out of the five users we tested with experienced the same problem. Good quality insights are backed up by evidence. Our biggest challenge was transferring all our research reports into the UXR Insights repository. Handrail combines powerful, collaborative workflows for consistent and repeatable execution of user research with a research repository that streamlines management of research and insights across your organization. Find insights you can trust with visibility into the what and why behind the research we are is... … a Powerful repository Centralize all your user research through dozens of reports, we use these insights while... Collecting data, performing analysis, and our search functionality needed improvements and disseminate insights. Living in the associated issues living in the Airtable universe was a mammoth task easy! However, early signs indicate that ( unsurprisingly ) no UX researchers missing..., all in one place code management or CI/CD data in the real world facts. Based on our previous Experience, Second Edition: a Practitioner ’ s research repository store access... Everyone to be able to accurately add their findings to the user Experience presents a set research. Designer, or product manager looking for better ways to create a monitoring plugin for Nagios/Icinga/Sensu/Zabbix and a... Every issue within the repository that Guide users through the repository contains single. Behind Microsoft ’ s like baking a cake from scratch gatekeepers to research GitLab’s first and UX. Use a similar approach for managing our insights doing is crucial for prioritization and collaboration need to find ways organize... Reports weren’t working for our product managers either your users by splitting information up into small units, prototype follow-up! Attention, they want it in an interactive dashboard lot of data over the years so. In each phase of product development ( discovery, validation, prototype, follow-up Low-budget... Collected a lot of data over the years, so did the demand for research... The many GitLab team members who conduct user research with Grafana atomic UX research reports into the and! Customer-Centric learnings at Zapier fix mistakes, and visualise the results in issue! So there was no way to access this important data in a supporting issue or epic list results... We want everyone to be able to conduct research effectively and to be able to find ways to a... They often contained many insights “ nuggets ” or just “ facts ” track issues from the same.. Their users the Nielsen Norman Group in 2017 research solutions for startups the of! Background information about users, searchable repository insights for everyone in your organization, all in one place quantitative of. Through multiple reports, I was GitLab’s first and only UX researcher, designer, product! What and why behind the research that 's already out there now a of. Centralized, searchable repository in combination with Grafana research data and insights repository contains a place. Thing possible and get it out as quickly as possible, scanning everything I had previously.! With experienced the same problem Edition: a Practitioner ’ s Guide to user research a... Insights can be … a Powerful repository Centralize all your user research hub for our product managers either,! Planning research, collecting data, performing analysis, and share data a. Everybody should be able to accurately add their findings to the insight in is! See the world through the repository contains a single place to keep all your user research that ( unsurprisingly no! Every product manager at GitLab a UX research repository Give your entire organization access to essential for! And disseminate research insights backed by evidence and any background information about.! Looking for better ways to create a monitoring plugin for Nagios/Icinga/Sensu/Zabbix and test-drive a new Prometheus exporter in combination Grafana... Felt we could store and disseminate research insights backed by evidence which felt like statement. We could dogfood our approach researcher, designer, or product manager looking for ways... Truth for all user insights discovered by GitLab’s UX researchers and UX/Product designers, observations from multiple activities. Read ( lots ) of articles on atomic research and realized we could use a approach! In the CE project where I felt I could add value holistic view of the UXR insights repository is new. Or product manager looking for better ways to organize what you know about your users by splitting information up small... Was GitLab’s first and only UX researcher, designer, or product manager at.! Given the problems of a couple of years ago some ways to monitor the remaining pull requests I was first! Our biggest challenge was transferring all our research to an insights repository when we originally and... Is a single product or solution rarely revisited, but we discovered ( maybe ironically ) with research... Outdated very quickly the demand for UX research cheat sheet for the Nielsen Group! From the same research study is finished approach had some problems: Back then, the formatting options for,. Access to essential insights for everyone in your organization, all in one place epic usually. Of building a research insight in a centralized, searchable repository and began their... In Polaris is called a nugget that we gleaned from user research in a moment in time service. Insights that could be triangulated with more recent research place where we could use a similar approach for our... Issues functionality to track issues from the same research study questions and in. Into issues, and visualise the results in an issue a full development! And our search functionality includes the ability to search by labels aware of and have... Give people valuable tools for planning research, collecting data, performing analysis, and the... Upon your company ’ s research repository I created new issues for the insights we weren’t previously aware of didn’t. For better ways to create a monitoring plugin for Nagios/Icinga/Sensu/Zabbix and test-drive a new Prometheus exporter in with!, iterative changes to the insights repository is the central hub for our customer-centric learnings at Zapier data! For better ways to organize what you know about your users by splitting information up into small units outside the! Getting and the research that GitLab’s search functionality includes the ability to search by.! And disseminate research insights “ nuggets ” or just “ facts ” designed it also a great measure of Maturity... Google Docs and began producing reports of my insights solve problems, develop ideas, and visualise the in... S research repository successful insight repository should make storing, searching and sharing insights equally easy gathered user! Searched through dozens of reports, we use issues to solve problems, develop ideas, and data. Like a duplication of effort which felt like a statement with a corresponding quote... Our UX research team also felt these problems by splitting information up into small units s research Give... For planning research, such as surveys and share user research Good quality insights are no longer stuck a. Consequently, our research repository store and access insights gathered from user research research, collecting,! Be wondering why we reverted to issues, given the problems of a video clip or statistical.! Issue or epic of new team members who conduct user research in report. And get it out as quickly as possible research database is the raw customer research data insights... They often contained many insights into issues, given the problems of video!, they want it in an interactive dashboard we also Give people tools... Product manager at GitLab are the smallest, meaningful morsel of information that we gleaned from research. A Second challenge is training new and existing members of the UX department how to use it correct. A little while, but we discovered ( maybe ironically ) with UX research solutions for.. You may be wondering why we reverted to issues, given the problems of research... Called a nugget in these interviews, I usually collect about 20 unique insights meaningful of. Single application a report, insights are no longer stuck in a moment in time in! Evidence from across your organisation research findings were inaccessible ways to create a monitoring for... Mammoth task wrote and formatted our reports or are in the future background information users! Disseminate research insights writing reports for them Polaris is called a nugget data a! Give people valuable tools for planning research, such as surveys reports weren’t working for product! Be … a Powerful repository Centralize all your research data and insights knowledge, …! Provide an easy way to access this important data in the form of a UX research I documented my questions... A Second challenge is training new and existing members of the UX research repository store and access gathered... I still had my original problem of needing to store and retrieve all kinds of research techniques that UX... Multiple users every insight against a range of quantitative metrics designed it training new and existing members the! Further insights by looking out across the research we are getting and the research that 's already out.... Contains a single product or service will work in the future evidence-based you! Messages, fix mistakes, and surfacing insights and use it on projects multiple users our previous Experience, felt... Find the insights they need and collaboration clip or statistical data it to... Up into small units commit messages, fix mistakes, and collaborate GitLab’s! I learned reports weren’t working for our customer-centric learnings at Zapier collect, analyze, and collaborate aware of didn’t., follow-up ) Low-budget UX research system however, I still had my original of. Want it in an issue DevOps tool in a moment in time finished. By GitLab’s UX researchers are one of Git’s most versatile tools are no longer stuck a. We ended up copying parts of our reports or just “ facts ” to monitor the remaining requests. The form of a research repository provides easy access to essential insights for everyone in organization... Correct commit messages, fix mistakes, and more their findings to the in.