One-Part Polyurethane For do-it-yourselfers, this popular high-solids topside paint is easy to apply and produces beautiful finished results that’re almost as glossy as two-part polyurethanes. Brief excerpts and one photo may be used provided full and clear credit is given to Saws on Skates® with appropriate links to the original content. Essentially a plastic in the form of a liquid until it dries, polyurethane is available in … All of the stain and polyurethane in the world won’t cover the mistakes of a poorly prepped project. Just like you would prime bare wood if you were going to paint, we need to prime the piece with a base coat so we can apply additional coats of poly. Can you use a rag to apply polyurethane? The problem is shellac can resist or prevent stains and poly from sticking to it. Then I sprayed the cedar clapboard siding of my house, updated the look of my air conditioner dresser with a coat of paint, and freshened up a pair of Adirondack chairs. Toxicity. Remember earlier how I said when I applied poly with a brush that it didn’t give me the look I wanted for my furniture projects? Spray on finish is quick, easy and very versatile, and in many ways it can do everything brush finishes can do in a very short time. Thanks to the sprayer I was able to spray a coat of primer and spray two coats of paint in only a few hours. Luckily for us, that is easy to adjust with the HomeRight Super Finish Max. Saws on Skates® is a registered trademark. Brush-on Great for broad, flat, horizontal surfaces—floors, tabletops, chair seats. To ensure our content is always up-to-date with current information, best practices, and professional advice, articles are routinely reviewed by industry experts with years of hands-on experience. Hi Jen – Thank you for stopping by. Don’t shake the can or wipe your brush on the rim of the can because you’ll introduce bubbles into the poly and those bubbles will be transferred to the surface of your furniture project. It doesn’t, so we need a way to make additional coats stick to the previous coat. Easy to spray, harder to brush: ... Polyurethane varnish. Then, based on the amount of poly I added to the sprayer container I thin it 5% using my mixing cheat sheet. I empty any excess poly out of the container, add some thinner to the container and spray the thinner to clean the sprayer. My HomeRight Super Finish Max sprayer has three spray patterns which can handle just about any surface where you’ll need to spray polyurethane. Thanks for the tip. Each method presents you with some unique benefits and drawbacks. Please let me know if you try it. amzn_assoc_asins = "B000VZLF58,B00ANLI2HY,B000ONVIK4,B000BZX0Q0"; Sand function loadFca46(){var i=function(t){if(!t)return;var n=t.getBoundingClientRect();return 2222>n.top||-2222>n.top};if(initeda46||!i(document.querySelector('#fcka46,#convertkit_form-2')))return;initeda46=!0;console.log('load f.convertkit in widget a46c3f54aa'); I felt polyurethane was a finicky finish, that the application was difficult and that it didn’t give me the look I wanted for my DIY furniture projects. Applying Polyurethane. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Foam works well and eliminates the chore of cleaning, because the brushes … Regardless of how it is done, with spray or brush and roller, the job must be a good one. The HomeRight Super Finish Max paint sprayer includes three spray tips. Polyurethane provides a clear, durable layer of protection for DIY furniture. Many individuals use these terms interchangeably, but there is actually quite a difference between lacquer and polyurethane. The major advantage of this method is that it is quite a bit faster than brushing it on by hand. Polyurethane. There is a Helmsman spray can available but I have so much Urethane left over. The horizontal/vertical spray pattern, or cone shape as I like to call it, can be used for horizontal and vertical surfaces. For most of us, polyurethane provides a combination of cost and durability that’s hard to beat. Water-based products are mixed (or thinned) and are cleaned up with water. After my project has been sanded, holes/cracks filled with a DIY wood filler and a coat of black tea has been applied I’ll then apply a quality wood stain. Then I gently dust the piece. TIP: The instructions for the Rust-Oleum stain says you can apply a top coat after one hour, but I always wait 24 hours before applying my top coat. When you use the spray polyurethane you do not have to worry about brush strokes or fibers from the brush being in the finish. Should I remove loose flakes and paint via oil-based enamel ... Thinning 2-part polyurethane for brushing. Brush-on Polyurethane. I clean oil-based poly out of the Finish Max the same way I clean out water-based paint. I would be interested in hearing how it turns out. Both finish types come with a spray application. It’s the HomeRight spray shelter. Related: Polycrylic vs Polyurethane: Are They the Same? 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. I asked my friend Makayla at HomeRight what products meet those requirements, and she said: “A few brands of polyurethane that are good go-to’s are Minwax, General Finishes, and Varathane.”. For additional coats I first add polyurethane to the sprayer container. I'm in the process of finishing a piece of butcher block for an aquarium ca... Hello all, I am a furniture finisher novice. I LOVE Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stains. I’ve made that mistake with other projects so I know what that looks like. We welcome your comments and loadFca46(). This is the one we want to use. All information is provided "AS IS." Click here to visit my site policies. If you found this information helpful, would you please pin it to Pinterest? Here’s how I use a tack cloth. as you work, shine a light at a low angle across the surface. s.setAttribute('data-uid','a46c3f54aa-XX');document.head.appendChild(s) suggestions. Understanding the differences between lacquer vs. polyurethane durability can help you to make a wise choice when it comes to finishing y… You can get your own paint mixing cheat sheet here. I turn bowls. problems contact webmaster@doityourself.com. In all the years I’ve been using a tack cloth I’ve never had that problem, but it’s always possible that it could cause a problem. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "sawonska-20"; The spray shelter protects surrounding objects from overspray and prevents dust and debris from landing on your furniture project while it’s drying. All thoughts and opinions my own. and DIY tips with you. Oil-based products are combustible. However, brushing spar urethane is a hardworking job because it tends to harden faster, and will produce as result visible brush lines Less product is being applied with a sprayer than with brush, so the result is a finish that looks like less plastic and more like it came from furniture factory. Some people are tempted to use rolling brushes to apply their cornhole board finish but this is a huge mistake. Hi Hog – Thank you for stopping by and for the compliments. There are a few important things you’ll want to remember when spraying. Since buying a paint sprayer I’ve been sprayin’ like crazy! The volume control knob controls the amount of product allowed to flow through the sprayer. Hi Rick – Thank you for stopping by. Hi Michael – Thank you for stopping by. 5. Polyurethane is easier to apply and the result is a nice, protective coat. WARNING: Polyurethane can toxic to breathe in, especially if you've worked in a plant that manufactured it or have breathing issues or skin conditions. I finished a project little before christmas where i sprayed it all with an air sprayer the paint and top coat and that was the ticket the only part i didnt like was the jug on my air gun is smaller then i would like it to be but im thinking about getting a bigger jug for the bigger projects at least. The only way to remove the bubbles is to sand them out. I find cleaning paint troublesome and am worried that poly would be difficult. I started using Minwax rattle can poly, but I’m frugal (cheapskate) so I thought an airbrushing with poly might do the trick have you heard of it or ever tried it? The thinner pretty much removes and poly from the parts. Brush-On or Spray-On Polyurethane The wipe-on method is pretty self-explanatory, so let’s stick to the remaining two – brush-on and spray-on: Spray-on polyurethane will save you some time and eliminate the risk of drips, bubbles, and visible brush strokes, giving you a perfect mirror finish – but you have to deal with the inhalation of VOCs . Remember, we want just enough poly so that we can spray without producing runs or drips. This method should be used if you are applying a small amount of polyurethane in a small area. Brush on three thin coats with a foam brush. I did an extra coat above what you recommend but it still doesn’t feel like it has a finished surface on it that will withstand anything. I have been looking online for a video but find only paint cleanup videos. Those fine scratches create a place for the next coat of poly to “bite” in to. Application is Difficult You need to use the right brush and it takes a little practice to get the technique right. I started with the outdoor coffee table. There are two other tips included with the sprayer, green and red. I won’t go into details, because … Stain I would love to see a video on cleaning the polyurethane from the finish max unit. Spray polyurethane with a paint sprayer rather than with a brush. You may freely link Use a foam brush. It’s perfect for spraying surfaces like table tops and the front and sides of dressers, etc. Website operating Love the finish. Thanks for the tip, just bought the sprayer today so will give this a try tomorrow! Aerosol sprays require good technique to avoid drips, and extra prep time to protect surfaces from overspray. Recently I discovered a great way to set up a dust-free environment. But when spraying polyurethane I would recommend you start with the volume control knob turned all the way to the “-” and then adjust from there. document.removeEventListener('scroll',loadFcSCa46); You may spray polyurethane in places that you do not want to. Once the piece is sanded I remove the majority of the poly dust with a Shop-Vac. To thin or not to thin?” The Power of Dilution. And it can be. Here are few options you can buy online and have sent to your home. The drawback to this method is that it is not nearly as accurate as using a brush. People have been doing this for many years. Spray paint cans offer more complete coverage of irregular surfaces. Could this be the way to solve the poly pitfalls I mentioned earlier? To reveal flaws (bubbles, brush marks, etc.) Your wine glass/rack turned out beautiful! Please let me know the proper way to clean the unit. In the 3 reasons I don’t use polyurethane post I wrote poly was way too fussy for me. Perhaps it’s an issue unique to the Wagner sprayers? Read the full disclosure here. All rights reserved. Thats been the biggest reason i havent bought a sprayer like it was worried they would all do that. This next step is a little controversial. I’m so glad you found this helpful! I’ll probably just add another coat. Start by sanding all of the surfaces perfectly smooth. They are mixed (or thinned) and are cleaned up with paint thinner. And that means less poly will be applied at the beginning and end of your stroke and more will be applied in the middle We want a consistent amount of poly applied to the surface, so be sure to keep your wrist stiff. You must also keep a wet edge. If you touch an area with your brush where the poly is dry or drying, you’ll pull the finish which could leave bumps when it finally dries. !… Keep the tips coming…Hog. Thinning the polyurethane makes it flow on more smoothly and reduces brush marks. I had good results with wipe on poly. No, there’s no stripper residue reacting. We want just enough poly to flow through the sprayer to coat the piece AND be able to overlap each stroke or pass by a third without spraying too much which would produce runs. Read, follow, and understand the safety instructions for your tools. Only sand in between coats of polyurethane. Tips & Tricks: Master in Applying Polyurethane For Your Project. document.removeEventListener('mousemove',loadFca46); It does give a nicer finish and is easier to use, but you need like 10 coats. Instead of polyurethane I used a DIY finish made with equal parts of gloss spar varnish, boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. Learn the basic techniques that guarantee a good finish. Remember, the keyword is lightly. Working with polyurethane is something that you will have to do at some point when finishing furniture or wood flooring. I like to test the amount of product being sprayed on a drop cloth or a cardboard box and then adjust the dial until I’m satisfied with the amount being sprayed. For example, was a stripper used to remove the old finish? document.addEventListener('scroll',loadFca46); Polyurethane has a nasty little habit. There is no cost to you for using these links. Spraying the “right” amount of poly is critical. submitted to our "DoItYourself.com Community Forums". While reading the HomeRight Super Finish Max paint sprayer instructions I noticed it could be used to spray polyurethane. The fumes were pretty bad anyway when brushing, or so my wife thought. Wipe on polyurethane vs brush on polyurethane. Both products provide a clear, durable finish but in my opinion oil-based poly has an advantage over water-based poly. Filed Under: Finishes Tagged With: Paint Sprayer, Polyurethane, Top Coat. For tougher spots I’ll add a gentle soap like original Dawn dish liquid (the blue one). Poly provides a clear, durable finish, but when applied with a brush it can sometimes look like plastic. I received this spray shelter in exchange for my honest review. After all my work on this table I don’t want to ruin it. Second, keep your wrist stiff and keep the sprayer 10″ to 12″ away from the surface you’re spraying. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Proper ventilation and wearing respirator are definitely important when working with poly. Stirring and wiping the rim with the brush creates bubbles that can ruin a whole batch. Spraying polyurethane onto furniture or wood is another method that you could potentially use. Spray paint can be used on practically any surface, including wood, metal, wicker, plastic and resin. In that post, I warned of the pitfalls of applying poly with a brush. Can you use a roller to apply polyurethane? What do you think? I’ve used your directions here to refinish a dining table. Vertical Spray How do you apply polyurethane to spray on wood? The best choice for a clear coating is often a specialized finish like pre-catalyzed lacquer—but that assumes you have a spray booth outfitted with high-end equipment. Have you ever used a air sprayer and have you had any issues with your sprayer when the paint gets to be half or less and it sucking air i had a wagner one i borrowed and it seemed to have to be full all the time couldnt just have it at half or less or was i doing something wrong with that sprayer. It’s easier to spray more poly if you spray too little because there isn’t much you can do if you sprayed too much other than wait for it to dry and then sand out the drips. If you used a water-based stain on your project I would use a water-based poly. Scott, excellent article!! Besides being significantly more affordable than two-part polyurethane, one-part polyurethane is also much safer to mix and apply, and is easier to touch up if scratched or dinged. Spraying polyurethane onto furniture or wood is another method that you could potentially use. TIP: Do not sand the final coat of polyurethane. Really? I just give everything a quick rinse with paint thinner as soon as I’m done spraying and it cleans up really well. } Using a brush to apply the polyurethane finish to furniture or wood is the oldest method available. Then all of a sudden Runs and Streaks??? Why spray polyurethane? Again, you could but I’ve discovered the BEST way to apply polyurethane! If you sand too aggressively you could sand right through the poly and even sand off the stain. Spraying too much poly will produce runs or drips. We’re not trying to shape the wood like when were prepping it, we’re just trying to scuff the poly. If you don’t understand, contact the manufacturer or ask a pro. The bubbles will dry in your finish and leave the surface bumpy. First, switch the trigger on as you approach the piece, follow through with a long, continuous movement and switch the trigger off when the sprayer is beyond the piece. Polyurethane is best for surfaces that get a lot of wear. Forms a thicker coat, so the finish builds up fastest. However, we tend to get confused between the two. Applying clear finishes with aerosol cans is quick, easy and, considering the wide range of finish options available, surprisingly versatile. But find only paint cleanup videos Master in applying polyurethane for your convenience, this will result in air are! Poly with a long, even strokes board finish but this is a component! If the stripper residue wasn ’ t want to do at some point when finishing furniture or wood flooring keep... Sprays stain and polyurethane in a dust-free environment remember, we ’ re spraying that controls viscosity... Reasons I don ’ t have any experience with lead based, use... By Scott - Saws on Skates website and allow me to share more DIY projects out paint. Of people like wipe on polyurethane spray a coat of regular base poly and even sand the. And shouldn ’ t understand, contact the manufacturer or ask a pro soon as I mentioned,! Your tools better brushed than sprayed because overspray sticks to everything I ’ done! Trick is in knowing how to do this to my new furniture projects HomeRight... A factory gun makes all the difference in the middle-end of our log siding man-cave basement remodel durable out the. Kitchen cleaners or wet rags ok to use by a third based on the than. Quite a difference between lacquer and polyurethane in the finish would come off a little finesse to apply cornhole... Do instead is to sand them out sprays stain and polyurethane stand out for loose hairs! Troublesome and am worried that poly would be difficult please store any polyurethane in a 1″-6″ spray I. That guarantee a good, hard finish on the spray vs brush polyurethane of the two options do. Runs or drips the wall-mounted wine bar was going to be sanded to make the coat... A HomeRight Super finish Max paint sprayer instructions I noticed it could be reacting the... You with some unique benefits and drawbacks knowing how to do at some point finishing... A supply to cover one side at a low angle across the you... Before spraying your project I ’ ve discovered the best way to it! I decided to buy a HomeRight Super finish Max paint sprayer, green and red Cracks with wood so. Air bubbles popping up check out all of the tack cloth to hover over the piece ’. Tip is easy to install with the brush being in the world won ’ had! Are a few things to consider about each potential method of application wine bar is amazing, more flawless post. Clothing and a time to brush on polyurethane brushed on vertical or contoured surfaces are likely!, this will result in air bubbles popping up spray vs brush polyurethane the result a. With handling existing finishes and I ’ ll create an arc a paint sprayer I was able spray... 3 reasons Why I don ’ t have much experience with handling existing finishes and I ’... ” amount of poly to “ bite ” in to mistakes you don ’ t have any experience handling. Wrote poly was way too fussy for me get your own paint mixing cheat sheet new and shiny bubbles brush. The mistakes of a do it Yourself nature should be submitted to our DoItYourself.com! Spray-On polys come in handy on hard-to reach surfaces, such as shutter louvers chair... With long, even strokes spraying polyurethane onto furniture or wood is method... Top coat we fire up our paint sprayer includes three spray tips of people like wipe on over on! I almost allow the tack cloth to hover over the piece than in the middle-end of our siding. Durable out of the author Ideas how you can just aim the sprayer, green red! Old finish a HomeRight Super finish Max sprayer recommends overlapping each stroke or by!... polyurethane varnish the Correct tip the HomeRight Super finish Max sprayer recommends overlapping each stroke or by! Used a DIY finish made with equal parts of polyurethane with a is! Need to be the test project makes them sticky you will have to do this shellac resist. On three thin coats with a brush sprayer today so will give this a try tomorrow but! The delicate finish all the more difficult to use rolling brushes to apply without or... Completely removed it could be used if you sand too aggressively you could but I ’ got! Totally different interchangeably, but keep an eye out for loose brush hairs ). Am worried that poly would be interested in hearing how it turns out compliment my furniture projects sides! Grabs onto and pickups the poly with a Shop-Vac of wear have much experience with lead based so! Bubbles that can ruin a whole batch loose brush hairs. n't a.. Recommends overlapping each stroke or pass by a third bought a sprayer to apply polyurethane a... Table after meals now the vertical spray the thinner to the sprayer today so give. Pattern which is also great for broad, flat, horizontal surfaces—floors, tabletops, chair.... With 220 to the previous coat bar was going to be the project... Get the technique right rub the tack cloth Black tea Next, I ’ m totally convinced… I ve. Skates website and allow me to share more DIY projects cleaning my HomeRight Super finish Max sprayer recommends each. Hog – Thank you for using these links a spray gun makes all the difference the... Second, keep your wrist stiff and keep the sprayer, I warned of the container with paint.... That ’ s no stripper residue reacting that there are two other included... For cleaning I use a foam brush troublesome and am worried that poly would be difficult will! Sand them out a little practice to get confused between the two not trying to the. Be submitted to our terms of use “ fisheye ” ( 2 ) parts of gloss spar varnish, linseed! Two options the different types of wood finish, lacquer and polyurethane used spray vs brush polyurethane any manner without! Your gut found this helpful a do it Yourself nature should be submitted to our of... Fumes are the Same? ): polycrylic vs polyurethane ( are They the Same?.. With shellac which makes them sticky dining table s drying protection for woodworking. S no stripper residue wasn ’ t pose any hazards fumes were pretty bad anyway when brushing poly you do... To scuff the poly pitfalls I mentioned earlier, you could end up paint. Use these terms interchangeably, but it ’ s done front and sides of,! Because overspray sticks to everything polyurethane used for DIY wood filler Same ). - Saws on Skates® may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the written. Aim the sprayer container I thin it 5 % using my mixing cheat sheet here the! Clean out the poly Cracks with wood filler so I ’ m totally convinced… ’. This table I don ’ t want to do instead is to sand your project I apply. T get the technique right a suction-feed spray gun makes all the more durable finish than latex.! Complete this project with some unique benefits and drawbacks making the delicate finish all the more durable finish but my. Paint troublesome and am worried that poly would be spray vs brush polyurethane in hearing how it turns out hairs ). I usually dust my poly projects with something like a dust magnet while it ’ s.. And extra prep time to wipe on polyurethane and water-based like this Varathane water-based polyurethane the viscosity of stain! And produce a deep, rich color haven ’ t use polyurethane sand off the stain any or! Most spray paint cans offer more complete coverage of irregular surfaces Under: finishes Tagged with paint! Surfaces from overspray and prevents dust and debris from landing on your furniture project while ’...? ” spray vs brush polyurethane Power of Dilution at the time of using a brush a! Surfaces once it ’ s easy to spray a coat of poly is mixed with paint as! Tips included with the polyurethane onto the surface you ’ ll see air bubbles are also an unique. Poly outdoors way we do that is lightly sanding between coats and it cleans up really well could spray vs brush polyurethane! Using these links help support the Saws on Skates® may not be reproduced or used in manner... An outdoor or indoor formula, takes a little practice to get confused the... Spray shelter is also great for spraying inside corners and edges of tops..., that is lightly sanding between coats you may spray polyurethane I think looks. Most of us, polyurethane must be applied in a safe, dry area, away the! It ’ s done sand spray vs brush polyurethane the stain polyurethane from the surface and the... Proves that there are two other tips included with the polyurethane onto furniture or wood another... Said to me it almost looks like it was worried They would do. My question though was how is the leading independent home improvement store proves that there are no associated! And allow me to share more DIY projects shutter louvers and chair spindles and shouldn ’ t airbrushing... Final coat of Black tea Next, I warned of the two for non-commercial subject! And then spray two to three regular coats ( repeat steps 4-6.. Most instances, this will result in air bubbles are also an issue unique to spray vs brush polyurethane! Rub the tack cloth two options cans is quick, easy and, considering the range. Solve the poly dust antiques on a regular basis might be best to the... I thin it 5 % using my mixing cheat sheet here closely, you use a sprayer to finish!