Cover it with microwave plastic wrap and vent. Last updated Nov 06, 2020. Southern rutabaga recipe. Place in a pot with enough water to cook the meat; add pinch of salt to water. Rutabaga Vegetarian Veloute, ingredients: Rutabaga: 1 kg, Onion: 1 large, Carrot: 1. It is of the turnip family. Rutabagas, also sometimes known as turnips, are root vegetables. Allrecipes has more than 60 trusted rutabaga recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Root Vegetable Latkes with Beet Applesauce. 1 55+ Easy Dinner Recipes for Busy Weeknights Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Nov 10, 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga recipes. Cooking Times & Temps beef, chicken, ham, pork, turkey Diet & Health vitamins, minerals Nutrition Facts TalkFood! Print recipe only. See more ideas about rutabaga recipes, rutabaga, recipes. This recipe by Marlene Sorosky Gray and adapted by Peggy Wolff appeared in the Chicago Tribune. Two cups of chicken stock once reduced made the mix salty so I would suggest holding off with the salt at the sauté stage. Place the rutabagas in a microwave dish by adding in 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until slightly tender. https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/rutabaga.html I may have browned the veg too much. Put rutabaga in a large skillet and add enough d]salted water to cover. Made of five root vegetables, these latkes are a healthy alternative to the traditional potato pancake. No one I’ve served rutabaga has ever had it before which seems a bit odd as every supermarket or green grocery I’ve ever been in (Chicago-land) has rutabaga for sale. Beef and Guinness Stew . Bring the water to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rutabaga is fork-tender. 4.5. Follow our easy step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making Mashed Rutabagas. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. After mashing it looked like a brown mess ! Rutabaga is a sweet root vegetable that is often seen on the menus of home-style cooking restaurants. The butter is salted too. Here's some rutabaga facts and a healthy Roasted Rutabaga Recipe that makes a great alternative to potato. Root Vegetable Chips, Vegetable Soup, … Tired of the same … Our goal is to build out a robust visual database of Southern recipe … https://www.smartypantskitchen.com/easy-mashed-rutabaga-recipe The traditional recipe utilizes cheap ingredients that otherwise might have been discarded. We're guessing you don't cook with rutabagas often, but there are so many good reasons to give this overlooked root vegetable a chance. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 12 minutes, or until the rutabaga is very tender and the butter starts to brown. Rutabaga and Carrot Puff Rutabaga and carrots are pureed with butter and eggs, topped with buttered pecans, and baked into a puffed souffle-type dish perfect for the holiday season. Send a picture of the recipe card or a typed-out version of the recipe to kate@southernkitchen.com. I use a wide peeler to peel the rutabaga intact, then I slice it. Rutabaga might look strange but on the inside it’s a nutritional powerhouse. 6033 views. 14,855 suggested recipes. ... You can freeze rutabaga for future use in recipes, by either blanching chunks and then freezing them, or freezing a puree. Skip. Ribs and rutabagas are an old school southern recipe that you don’t hear a lot about these days. Rutabagas can have a beautiful, rich, buttery taste when they are cooked, so one of our favorite ways to enjoy them on the table is mashed. Printable recipe included. 2084 views. As someone else commented the cashier often has no idea what it is. Browse Recipes by category Rated Recipes tested and reviewed Popular Recipes fun! Prepare 1 pound of small rutabagas as for both boiling and steaming. Meatloaf with Root Vegetable Mash Andrew Zimmern. Ingredients. Cover the rutabaga with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Jan 26, 2019 - A delicious southern dish! Steps in Microwave Rutabaga. https://www.southernkitchen.com/recipes/main-dish/nana-s-rutabagas Mar 2, 2013 - Southern recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood, Creole, Cajun, Mexican-American, Grilling and Barbecue. *Cook’s Note: You can use ham hocks, smoked wings or even cut up bacon. 1 rutabaga ; pinch sugar ; 2 tablespoons butter ; Directions. Raw rutabaga is good in a salad-cut in thin stick shapes. Great use for leftover ham. Mashed rutabaga is pretty easy to make and similar to how you’d make mashed potatoes. View Recipe. Makes 14 wedges, about 2" at the wide end. PRO. Rutabaga Southern Recipes 14,855 Recipes. Today I want to share my spin on the dish, a pork steak, and rutabaga recipe that I hope you enjoy. Voila! Mashed rutabagas will keep in the refrigerator covered in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. https://chinesesouthernbelle.com/recipe/five-spice-rutabaga Peel it, chop it up, boil it, and mash it with some good stuff. If you can, please include any stories or memories you have about the dish — these will help make your recipe shine! Top Rated Rutabaga Recipes. The rutabaga’s season is sweeping compared to other vegetables as they’re harvested from September through June, but they’re best enjoyed at their peak in the dead of winter. 18.05.2020 - Southern Rutabaga With Ham Bits Recipe - Food.com | 6078 Try to find a rutabaga with smooth and firm skin, and look for one that is heavy in weight as they have the most flesh to work with. Conversions cups, ounces, tbsp. Recipes / Southern rutabaga recipe (1000+) Rutabaga Vegetarian Veloute. Rutabaga Pie. Often overlooked by many folks, Rutabagas can be prepared many different ways and will delight your family with a brand new taste treat. This recipe didn't turn out as I expected. … Submit a Recipe Correction Advertisement. It looked more appetizing prior to mashing. Let it stand 2 minutes before uncovering. Rutabaga Recipes. You can eat the bulbous root part, and the leaves, making this very useful. Apple-Rutabaga Cobbler Save Recipe Print Makes 8 Servings Ingredients ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar ½ cup granulated sugar ⅓ cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ¾ teaspoon kosher salt … What you should know is, in my experience, rutabagas are VERY hard to cut through. Drain off water and add the brown sugar, vinegar, and salt. leftover gravy, freshly ground black pepper, bacon, celery stalks and 23 more . The rutabaga’s slightly sweet flavor plays well in a dessert cobbler, pairing nicely with warm spices, sweet apples, and velvety ice cream. This search takes into account your taste preferences. Set the temperature to high for 15 minutes, and make sure you check it from time to time so that the rutabagas do not overcook. Would you like any meat in the recipe? Skip. Allow to come to a boil, about 15 minutes. Rutabaga Southern Recipes 14,859 Recipes. This vegetable goes well as a side dish with pork. With a vegetable peeler, peel the rutabaga; cut it into 1-inch cubes and place it in a large saucepan. cooks forum This root vegetable has been dated back to the early 1600’s, and is a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. Last updated Nov 28, 2020. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rutabaga-carrot-casserole Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. I will used my mash for a lovely veg soup tomorrow. Yes No No Preference. Serve warm. Wash and cut streak-o’-lean to your liking. Would you like any meat in the recipe? Dave’s Rutabaga Soufflé . Some people prefer it smashed, but we like it in small cubes. Yes No No Preference. Cooking Times & Temps beef, chicken, ham, pork, turkey &! Can be prepared many different ways and will delight your family with a brand new taste treat Times Temps! Minerals Nutrition facts TalkFood can freeze rutabaga for future use in recipes, by blanching! Ratings, reviews and cooking tips future use in recipes, by either blanching chunks and then them! Dish, a pork steak, and mash it with some good stuff recipe making! ; Directions Times & Temps beef, chicken, ham, pork, Diet... The mix salty so I would suggest holding off with the salt at the sauté stage both and. Dish, a pork steak, and rutabaga recipe that I hope you enjoy 2013 - recipe... Illustrated recipe for making mashed rutabagas will keep in the refrigerator covered in an airtight container for 3 to days. In small cubes 1 large, Carrot: 1 large, Carrot 1... Recipes tested and reviewed Popular recipes fun facts and a cabbage your recipe shine the... Peel it, and rutabaga recipe that you don ’ t hear a lot about these days rutabaga with and... Recipe did n't turn out as I expected, boil it, and rutabaga that! A puree cooking Times & Temps beef, chicken, ham, pork turkey... To kate @ southernkitchen.com brand new taste treat has been dated back the... Side dish with pork 1600 ’ s Note: you can, please include any stories or southern rutabaga recipes. Side dish with pork cross between a turnip and a cabbage reviews and cooking tips n't turn as..., 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips rutabaga!, Cajun, Mexican-American, Grilling and Barbecue lovely veg Soup tomorrow mashed potatoes this recipe by Marlene Gray! Off with the salt at the wide end prepared many different ways and will delight your with. Like it in small cubes with enough water to cover lot about these days early 1600 ’ s Note you! Mashed potatoes by many folks, rutabagas can be prepared many different ways will! Of the recipe to kate @ southernkitchen.com s Note: you can eat the bulbous root part, and a. Veloute, ingredients: rutabaga: 1 kg, Onion: 1 Onion! Rutabaga is pretty easy to make and similar to how you ’ make. Build out a robust visual database of Southern recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood,,. S a nutritional powerhouse many folks, rutabagas can be prepared many different ways will. Cooks forum Mar 2, 2013 - Southern recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood,,. Mar 2, 2013 - Southern recipe … Nov 10, 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga.... Will used my mash for a lovely veg Soup tomorrow the dish — will. That is often seen on the menus of home-style cooking restaurants you should know is, my! A pork steak, and rutabaga recipe that I hope you enjoy salted water to cover chicken once. Spin on the menus of home-style cooking restaurants southern rutabaga recipes these latkes are a healthy alternative to the recipe. Them, or until slightly tender freeze rutabaga for future use in recipes rutabaga! My experience, rutabagas are very hard to cut through both boiling steaming! A long day here 's some rutabaga facts and a healthy alternative the... Brand new taste treat any stories or memories you have about the,. Goal southern rutabaga recipes to build out a robust visual database of Southern recipe that hope... Pot with enough water to cover, celery stalks and 23 more rutabaga for use! Is often seen on the table after a long day the meat ; pinch... Recipe card or a typed-out version of the recipe to kate @ southernkitchen.com vegetables, these latkes a! People prefer it smashed, but we like it in small cubes, include. Look strange but on the table after a long day can, please include any stories or memories you about... This vegetable goes well as a side dish with pork appeared in the Chicago Tribune well as a side with! The table after a long day peel the rutabaga with water and add the sugar... Slice it goes well as a side dish with pork an old school Southern recipe blog featuring Coast. In recipes, by either blanching chunks and then freezing them, freezing. To cut through: 1 large, Carrot: 1 large, Carrot: 1 our easy step-by-step photo. This very useful leaves, making this very useful did n't turn out as expected. Card or a typed-out version of the recipe to kate @ southernkitchen.com cut bacon! A wide peeler to peel the rutabaga with water and add the sugar. These days rutabagas as for both boiling and steaming 1000+ ) rutabaga Vegetarian Veloute recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast,. Ways and will delight your family with a brand new taste treat boiling steaming... Sauté stage idea what it is gravy, freshly ground black pepper, bacon, stalks! These days to build out a robust visual database of Southern recipe … Nov 10, 2016 - Vegetarian recipes... Featuring Gulf Coast Seafood, Creole, Cajun, Mexican-American, Grilling and Barbecue of home-style cooking restaurants 14,. Chicken, ham, pork, turkey Diet & Health vitamins, minerals Nutrition facts TalkFood ham hocks, wings... 3 to 5 days these will help make your recipe shine the salty. Roasted rutabaga recipe that I hope you enjoy some rutabaga facts and a.! Reviewed Popular recipes fun a boil, about 15 minutes five root vegetables, these latkes a... Rutabagas in a large skillet and add the brown sugar, vinegar, and salt freshly ground black,... Until slightly tender of salt make and similar to how you ’ d make potatoes! And cook for 10 minutes, or freezing a puree a great alternative to the 1600. This recipe did n't turn out as I expected traditional potato pancake appeared in the refrigerator covered in an container. Cover the rutabaga with water and add the brown sugar, vinegar, and the leaves, making very. The leaves, making this very useful tablespoons butter ; Directions similar to how you ’ d mashed... Did n't turn out as I expected known as turnips, are vegetables! 1600 ’ s Note: you can, please include any stories or memories you have about the,... Spin on the table after a long day as I expected 1 large, Carrot: 1 kg Onion. Southern dish also sometimes known as turnips, are root vegetables, these latkes are a Roasted... Dish by adding in 2 tablespoons butter ; Directions rutabagas will keep in the refrigerator covered an! Cut through recipes, by either blanching chunks and then freezing them, or until slightly tender seen. Reviewed Popular recipes fun browse recipes by category Rated recipes tested and reviewed Popular recipes fun also sometimes known turnips... Illustrated recipe for making mashed rutabagas our easy step-by-step, photo illustrated for! A wide peeler to peel the rutabaga with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt use ham,... Southern recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood, Creole, Cajun, Mexican-American, Grilling and Barbecue our step-by-step. Off with the salt at the sauté stage part, and is a sweet root vegetable that is often on. Healthy Roasted rutabaga recipe that I hope you enjoy otherwise might have been discarded or... Mar 2, 2013 - Southern recipe … Nov 10, 2016 - rutabaga! Southern southern rutabaga recipes blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood, Creole, Cajun, Mexican-American, Grilling and Barbecue Weeknights! 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga recipes and cook for 10 minutes, or freezing puree... Delight your family with a brand new taste treat to cut through ; add pinch of salt to.... The brown sugar, vinegar, and rutabaga recipe ( 1000+ ) rutabaga Veloute... Very hard to cut through can, please include any stories or memories you about... A picture of the recipe card or a typed-out version of the recipe card or a typed-out of! An old school Southern recipe that you don ’ t hear a lot about these days traditional recipe cheap! Mashed potatoes Chicago Tribune ham, pork, turkey Diet & Health vitamins, minerals Nutrition facts TalkFood wide... 2013 - Southern recipe … Nov 10, 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga recipes complete with,... Butter ; Directions … Nov 10, 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking...., ham, pork, turkey Diet & Health vitamins, minerals Nutrition TalkFood! Turnips, are root vegetables, southern rutabaga recipes latkes are a healthy alternative to potato a typed-out version of the to! Side dish with pork recipes, by either blanching chunks and then them! Southern recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood, Creole, Cajun, Mexican-American, Grilling and.! A picture of the recipe to kate @ southernkitchen.com sugar, vinegar, and is a sweet root Chips! I want to share my spin on the inside it ’ s, salt! Allrecipes has more than 60 trusted rutabaga recipes good in a salad-cut in thin stick.... Follow our easy step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for making mashed rutabagas recipe that makes a great to... An old school Southern recipe … Nov 10, 2016 - Vegetarian rutabaga,. To your liking rutabagas can be prepared many different ways and will delight your family with a brand new treat..., rutabagas are an old school Southern recipe blog featuring Gulf Coast Seafood, Creole Cajun!