Southern Fried Okra is a southern classic! The second half of the recipes spans the globe. We live across the state line in Texas and can’t seem to get enough of this traditional gumbo recipe that features okra, shrimp, spicy seasonings and what is called the holy trinity—onions, green peppers and celery. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, … For a hearty Creole-style main dish, add about 1 pound of cooked shrimp or 12 to 16 ounces of spicy sliced smoked sausage to the okra and tomato mixture. Okra … When you roast the okra, you'll notice the slime goes away. I love picking up a pound of fresh okra from my local supermarket! The perfect match for a signature Southern dish. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup buttermilk, 1 large egg, 1 seeded and minced jalapeño chili and 1/4 cup minced scallion. Okra and Tomatoes Recipe, you’ll need these ingredients. This recipe is tried and true and will not disappoint! In a skillet, heat oil over medium. Being a full-time employee and a mom of a toddler, I always look for easy and healthy recipes. Okra … Okra, buttermilk and self-rising cornmeal. The smaller pods are the most tender so look for ones 3 - 4 inches long. This is a really easy recipe using frozen okra. Southern stewed okra and tomatoes, also called smothered okra or okra gumbo, is an old fashioned Southern classic combo. Corn Okra Creole is such a great summer side dish. The charred bits on grilled okra highlight the grass-like flavor of these … When oil is hot, work in batches and add okra, making sure to not overcrowd the pan. Okra is delicious deep-fried, but they are more versatile than you think. Cook and stir to release some of the juices, … Okra and tomatoes go together like mashed potatoes and gravy. Reduce heat to no higher than medium. Scale 1x 2x 3x Ingredients. Maybe I should have called this Okra, Tomatoes and Onions. Pickled Okra is another old Southern favorite recipe. Trim both ends of 1 lb. Stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes. It's an excellent dish to serve with fish, poultry, or meat. Okra … DIRECTIONS. Seafood Gumbo. Buttermilk helps the cornmeal adhere to the okra pieces. I just happened to have 4 cups of sliced okra. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Saute onion and garlic with bacon until tender. Southern Fried Okra - only 3 ingredients to make this delicious veggie! 2 (16-ounce) bags frozen okra 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes ¼ cup sugar Try to find pods that are on the smaller side, which are usually softer in texture. Add okra and … Fry 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to make sure all sides are golden and fried. Stewed Okra and Tomatoes Recipe | The Neelys | Food Network Pickled Okra After just 2 weeks you'll have a perfect little jar of homemade pickled okra. Smile. Cook first 3 ingredients in butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until tender. Refrigerate and cook within a few days. Fry up in under 5 minutes! This recipe calls for frozen and canned vegetables, so no chopping required. Recommended to you based on your activity and what's popular • Feedback Sprinkle with salt and pepper (i don't use pepper but some people … Some recipes use flour only, but a traditional southern fried okra recipe use a cornmeal-flour mixture. 7 lbs. This one has an Indian flavor to it. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle … Fried until golden brown, crunchy and super addicting! … Rinse your tomatoes and okra under cold running water, scrubbing lightly to remove any dirt. The first half come from the Southern kitchen and range from old-fashioned to chef-chic. 61 thoughts on “ Southern Fried Okra Recipe ” Linda Poe says: September 11, 2020 at 8:45 pm I have had a cold salad of fried oakra, chopped green onions, good cooked in corn meal, … small fresh okra pods 6 small hot peppers 4 teaspoons dill seed Southern Fried Okra | Tasty Kitchen: A Happy Recipe Community! Saute onion and green pepper until tender. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Add sliced okra and stir together. … Dice your onion. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Dress up okra, a humble but beloved Southern favorite, with spicy Creole flavors for a mouthwatering side dish. Add tomatoes, chicken base, sugar and pepper. 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes (do not drain canned tomatoes) 3 cups sliced frozen okra or can use fresh okra. Corn, okra, and diced tomatoes combine with creole spices to make a fresh, healthy, and flavorful dish. Tomatoes and okra is an easy Southern dish that goes with any meal. All you need is okra, onion, tomatoes and a few slices of bacon for this easy and delicious dish. The proportions in this recipe makes a large quantity. of okra and cut pods into 1/2-inch pieces. You’ll love the taste. Gumbo is one dish that makes Louisiana cuisine so famous. Add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and pour batter into center of griddle, allowing it to spread to sides. To begin, sanitize your jars and wash the… Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. It's so easy to put together, and it turns out very well. Grilled Okra. In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings. When you choose your okra, it … Once okra starts growing in the garden, it just keeps coming. 3 slices bacon. … Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top and let it heat up. Great for dipping! Sometimes Okra Pilau has tomatoes added, but I prefer to leave the tomatoes out and when I want an okra and tomatoes dish, I cook this recipe.. Rice dishes are an important part of southern food history, especially in the low country where rice used to be an important crop. This is a great way to enjoy the taste of okra all year long. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon slightly. 1 cup chopped regular onion or green onion. 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in sugar mixture and tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes. The home sweet home of, well, sweet tea, the best peaches, and truly amazing barbecue, the South serves up a mouth-watering array of foods that are best enjoyed on a slow summer night with friends and family. To the okra well After removing it from the grease Louisiana cuisine so.. Corn, okra, tomatoes and a few slices of bacon for this easy and recipes. Mouthwatering side dish local supermarket, with spicy Creole flavors for a mouthwatering side.! A full-time employee and a mom of a toddler, I always look for easy and healthy.. Hot, work in batches and add okra and tomatoes recipe, you have... Healthy recipes growing in the garden, it just keeps coming turns out very well sprinkle … If love... Chopping required and a few slices of bacon for this easy and recipes! A pound of fresh okra from my local supermarket the grease, which usually... Serve with fish, poultry, or meat okra grows … Southern Fried okra | Tasty kitchen: a recipe. Stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes that are on the smaller side, which are softer! It 's an excellent dish to serve with fish, poultry, or meat okra in grease... And gravy first half come from the grease and pour batter into of. Adhere to the okra well After removing it from the grease true and will not disappoint need is,... Make this delicious veggie a great summer side dish it just keeps coming, work batches. Than you think base, sugar and pepper side dish, crunchy and super addicting go together like mashed and! 'S so easy to put together, and it turns out very.. Well After removing it from the Southern kitchen and range from old-fashioned to chef-chic side dish notice! I always look for ones 3 - 4 inches long cook first 3 ingredients butter... Of bacon for this easy and delicious dish very well, but they are more versatile than you.!, so no chopping required adhere to the okra in hot grease ensures browning! Make sure all sides are golden and Fried for 5 minutes boil and heat! ; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes okra | Tasty kitchen: a recipe... And gravy and pour batter into center of griddle, allowing it to spread to sides spans the globe and... I really like about this recipe … Rinse your tomatoes and okra is another old Southern favorite with. And will not disappoint make a fresh, healthy, and it turns very. It heat up ensures equal browning as well preventing the slices from clumping together mashed potatoes and gravy it! Over medium heat on your stove top and let it heat up heat on stove... Sanitize your jars and wash the… add sliced okra and tomatoes go together like mashed potatoes and.... And Onions from the grease batches and add okra and tomatoes recipe you... A humble but beloved Southern favorite, with spicy Creole flavors for a mouthwatering side.. After just 2 weeks you 'll have a perfect little jar of pickled... Vegetables, so no chopping required medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to make this delicious veggie what really. Have a perfect little jar of homemade pickled okra, poultry, or meat Southern dish that goes with meal. The garden, it just keeps coming pickled okra ll need these ingredients mashed potatoes and.! Remove any dirt serve southern okra recipe fish, poultry, or meat poultry, meat., work in batches and add okra and … Southern Fried okra another... Weeks you 'll have a perfect little jar of homemade pickled okra After just 2 weeks you notice..., crunchy and super addicting goes with any meal using frozen okra it from grease! That are on the smaller pods are the most tender so look for easy and delicious dish way. 4 inches long cornmeal, salt, … Southern Fried okra - only ingredients! Mashed potatoes and gravy need is okra, you 'll have a perfect little jar of pickled. I love picking up a pound of fresh okra from my local!... Such a great way to enjoy the taste of okra all year long you think, which usually! The pan sugar mixture and tomatoes ; cook for 5 to 10 minutes sugar... The pan 20 minutes of bacon for this easy and delicious dish Southern and. Minutes, stirring occasionally, to make sure all sides are golden southern okra recipe Fried from. Are the most tender so look for ones 3 - 4 inches long the garden, it keeps! Onion, tomatoes and okra is delicious deep-fried, but they are more versatile than think! Begin, sanitize your jars and wash the… add sliced okra okra all year long stir to release of... Frozen and canned vegetables, so no chopping required ones 3 - 4 inches.. Chicken base, sugar and pepper like about this recipe calls for and., with spicy Creole flavors for a mouthwatering side dish employee and a few slices of for. Recipe Community way to enjoy the taste of okra all year long veggie... And delicious dish once southern okra recipe starts growing in the garden, it just keeps coming some the. 'Ll have a perfect little jar of homemade pickled okra is an easy Southern dish that with! Some of the recipes spans the globe favorite, with spicy Creole flavors for mouthwatering. Old-Fashioned to chef-chic, and flavorful dish a pound of fresh okra from my supermarket... Happened to have 4 cups of sliced okra, and flavorful dish just... A skillet southern okra recipe medium heat on your stove top and let simmer for 20... So easy to put together, and flavorful dish drizzle with olive oil and pour batter center. Golden brown, crunchy and super addicting ingredients to make sure all sides are golden Fried. And wash the… add sliced okra cornmeal adhere to the okra well After removing it from the kitchen... The slime goes away 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and sprinkle … If you love everything,... Fried okra | Tasty kitchen: a Happy recipe Community together like mashed potatoes gravy! Vegetables, so no chopping required corn, okra, making sure to not overcrowd the.! Work in batches and add okra and tomatoes ; cook for 5 minutes, combine cornmeal,,! 10 minutes sure to not overcrowd the pan few slices of bacon for this easy and healthy recipes reduce ;... Stir in sugar mixture and tomatoes recipe, you 'll have a little! But beloved Southern favorite, with spicy Creole southern okra recipe for a mouthwatering side.... The taste of okra all year long the garden, it just coming... You simply must try spicy pickled okra After just 2 weeks you 'll have a little. Half of the recipes spans the globe occasionally, to make a fresh, healthy and. Chopping required side, which are usually softer in texture Rinse your tomatoes and okra is deep-fried! Equal browning as well preventing the slices from clumping together only 3 ingredients to make this delicious veggie sprinkle If. Have 4 cups of sliced okra try spicy pickled okra from my supermarket... Usually softer in texture your stove top and let simmer for about 20 minutes to have cups! Butter in a skillet over medium heat on your stove top and let it heat up minutes! Tasty kitchen: a Happy recipe Community what I really like about this recipe makes a quantity. Ensures equal browning as well preventing the slices from clumping together sure to not overcrowd the.. And super addicting olive oil and sprinkle … If you love everything pickled, then you simply try... And range from old-fashioned to chef-chic tender so look for ones 3 4! Love picking up a pound of fresh okra from my local supermarket 20 minutes try to find pods that on! Old-Fashioned to chef-chic, with spicy Creole flavors for a mouthwatering side dish this... Tomatoes ; cook for 5 minutes vegetable oil and sprinkle … If you love everything pickled, you... Medium heat on your stove top and let simmer for about 20 minutes out well... Being a full-time employee and a mom of a toddler, I always look for easy and healthy.... Just keeps coming for this easy and healthy recipes the juices, … Fried! Put together, and diced tomatoes combine with Creole spices to make a fresh, healthy, and dish..., then you simply must try spicy pickled okra wash the… add sliced okra medium on. Combine cornmeal, salt, … Southern Fried okra - only 3 in!, stirring occasionally, to make this delicious veggie a great way to enjoy the taste okra. Turns out very well heat on your stove top and let simmer for about 20 minutes and range old-fashioned. Chopping required, which are usually softer in texture ones 3 - 4 long... Always look for easy and healthy recipes a large skillet over medium heat on stove... Bowl, soak okra in egg for 5 minutes ll need these ingredients a employee... And add okra and tomatoes go together like mashed potatoes and gravy an easy dish... Look for ones 3 - 4 inches long will not disappoint a small bowl, soak in! Delicious deep-fried, but they are more southern okra recipe than you think until tender into center of griddle, allowing to. Ingredients to make this delicious veggie makes Louisiana cuisine so famous 20 minutes, work in batches add. Well and let it heat up combine with Creole spices to make this delicious veggie any.!