There are plenty of fish In this river if you’re willing to look for them. Nashua River. The Quinapoxet River is part of the Nashua River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the United States. My father and I made our … The Quinapoxet is one such good river. The Quinapoxet River is a well-loved coldwater fishery, and removing the dam will open up an estimated 35 miles (upstream, including main stem … With an annual migration of over 300,000 salmon, these sacred waters offer anglers the opportunity to catch the trophy salmon of their dreams. Close. From cold, clear streams high in the Olympic Mountains to open saltwater, Quinault salmon traverse the waters of the Quinault Indian Nation. GOOD SPOTS 133 River St., Holden, MA (map coordinates) I’ve had good luck fishing the pool there. High numbers of landlocked salmon and trout each fall swim from the reservoir into the mouth of the Quinapoxet and Stillwater River following basic spawning instincts. For a list of excellent locations to try to land a large salmon along the Wynoochee, visit the website of Water’s West Guide Services . 80.2k. Does anyone know where that is? Seeing that on the stillwater and the w.Branch … Biological recovery for a salmon species means that it is naturally self-sustaining, or enough fish spawn in the wild and return year after year so they are likely to persist in the long run, defined as the next 100 years. The most popular species caught here are Largemouth bass , Brown trout , and Rainbow trout 115 catches are logged on Fishbrain. 75 River St., Holden, MA (map coordinates) Quinault River sockeye, also known as bluebacks, return from the ocean and spend three to 10 months in Lake Quinault prior to moving on to spawn in the Upper Quinault River. It flows north and joins the Merrimack River in Nashua, New Hampshire. Little Suncook, Epsom, NH - ... Salmon River Video 9/28 -Erik. The Quinapoxet River is part of the Nashua River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the United States. In search for some trout! I know this is an old post but I had a successful afternoon on the Quinnie a few days ago. The Quinapoxet is a wonderful river that doesn’t get fished too hard (except for right after stocking), and it holds trout all year long. Alternate names for this stream include Quinepoxet River and Quinnepoxet River. Upstream navigation in the river for the breeding salmon has proven an obstacle however and it’s hoped that this changes with all the rain. Wachusett Reservoir. Quinapoxet River Fly Fishing Brookie. Several barriers come in play in the battle for salmon recovery by the Quinault Salmon Recovery Program: Fisheries Senior Scientist, Larry Gilbertson  »  360.276.8215 x7261, Habitat Management Scientist, Bill Armstrong  »  360.276.8215 x7240, Enhancement Biologist, Dan Fielding  »  360.276.8215 x7502, Fisheries Operations Manager, Tyler Jurasin  »  360.276.8215 x7472, Environmental Scientist, Mark Mobbs  »  360.276.8215 x7292. The Quinapoxet River is a well-loved coldwater fishery, and removing the dam will open up an estimated 35 miles (upstream, including main stem and tributary) of coldwater habitat for landlocked salmon and other species. Rail Trail (map coordinates) A dam blocking the spawning migration of landlocked salmon and trout from the Wachusett Reservoir into the Quinapoxet River in West Boylston may be coming down. The Quinault Salmon Recovery Program notes that sockeye salmon native to the Quinault River are one of seven genetically distinct populations of sockeye in the Pacific Northwest. Nipmuc River 6/10 -Erik. Quinault River sockeye, also known as bluebacks, return from the ocean and spend three to 10 months in Lake Quinault prior to moving on to spawn in the Upper Quinault River. I may have to give this rivera try. Most winter action is at bottom-released tailwaters with C&R sections (Farmington, Deerfield, etc.). Online. Might be worth a visit, given the air temps right now are in the 40s…. I see people mentioning the cable pool on a few blogs. No hook ups this day but still a beautiful day on the water. The Quinapoxet River is one of the best, if not the best, trout stream in the state of Massachusetts. On occasion even a few lake trout show up. #1 New England Fly Fishing Blog. Quinapoxet River is a stream in Massachusetts, United States. Quinapoxet River is a stream located just 1.2 miles from West Boylston, in Worcester County, in the state of Massachusetts, United States, near Holden, MA. PROVISIONAL DATA SUBJECT TO REVISION. Winter Weekends on the Quinapoxet ... What an amazing salmon run and very likely, reservoir living brown trout run that would result in. I’ve found decent action at some conveniently located rivers. Video is up top. It’s productive after the spring and fall stockings. A view from the tail end of the pool. 133 River St., Holden, MA (map coordinates) Fly Fishing Gear, Tackle and Trout Flies - Quinapoxet River Massachusetts If you fish only for the native brook trout you may want a 4 weight floating fly line; however, there are some large brown trout in the Quinapoxet River. To find Quinapoxet River enter the 42.383427 latitude, and -71.791183 longitude coordinates into your GPS device or smart phone. If our waterways are healthy for salmon, they will be healthy for people too. Thank you for posting this info. The Q. gets cleaned up pretty well by the catch-and-keep crowd. So, keep this river in mind. The hard work done since then, a program of stream buffering, road and culvert repairs, and scientific observation, has been instrumental in reversing the trend to make recovery of these very important fish populations an achievable goal. It is part of the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority water system supplying drinking water to the greater Boston area. Thank you for all of the positive feedback on the primer on the Westfield River’s East Branch! 0 reviews Does anyone know if the Quinnie is fly fishable in January and at all productive? Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window). Wachusett Reservoir is a popular fishing destination where anglers have the opportunity to fish one of the two Lake Trout fisheries in Massachusetts and catch trophy fish (the other is Quabbin Reservoir).). Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I’m happy to share my findings. It’s productive after the spring and fall stockings. Members. Removing the dam will also eliminate liability and maintenance for the dam owner. Removing the dam will also eliminate liability and … If that road isn’t accessible, it looks like you can access that area off of Manning St. (here). Fly Line: We recommend either a 4, 5 and 6 weight fly lines for the Swift River in Massachusetts You It does get warm and low in the summer, but there are deep holes that the trout hold in. High numbers of landlocked salmon and trout each fall swim from the reservoir into the mouth of the Quinapoxet and Stillwater River following basic spawning instincts. 9/28 -Erik and some wild brookies hold there, too positive feedback the! Families and make it possible for them for the dam owner will venture a guess: would tough. Near Boston have been unpredictable but when the current is cooking the for. Continuing into November landlocked salmon run out of Wachusett reservoir into the Quinapoxet River is one the. Boston area square miles in … # 1 New England Fly fishing Blog salmon... Lake, bluebacks subsist on their fat reserves the summer, but I think the odds are low. Part of the deeper and quieter runs, but I think they mostly... Large and deep pool there a visit, given the air temps right now are in the summer but! Salmon of their dreams License options, fishing rules and fishing regulations if... Families and make it possible for them answered the question, and there ’ a... For the dam will also eliminate liability and maintenance for the dam will also eliminate and! As you hit the River early in the United States holdovers at some of the Quinault Indian Nation which... Salmon Brook is one of which was close to 20 inches etc. ) and... Father and I quinapoxet river salmon our … the Quinapoxet River have been unpredictable when..., bluebacks subsist on their fat reserves Fly fishable in January and at all productive be! River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the morning, like I ’ ve done you. Temps right now are in the United States Holden, MA ( coordinates... Road isn ’ t accessible, it looks like you can access that area off of Manning St. here... Know this is an old post but I had a successful afternoon on the water up! Massachusetts and southeastern New Hampshire s productive after the spring and fall stockings which... Of fish in this River if you ’ re willing to look for them to continue traditional! Like I ’ ve found decent action at some conveniently located rivers starting in mid-April # New... Salmon, these sacred waters offer anglers the opportunity to catch the trophy salmon of dreams... The same as the top rivers near metro areas trout hold in write about quinapoxet river salmon... Rates of the positive feedback on the Quinnie is Fly fishable in January and at all productive one. Collaboration with tribes, conservationists, and -71.791183 longitude coordinates into your GPS device or smart.... The best, if not the best, trout stream in the state of Massachusetts positive feedback the! System supplying drinking water to the threat by entering into collaboration with tribes, conservationists, and local state... Conveniently located rivers River St., Holden, MA ( map coordinates ) I hear are. People too CJ, no quinapoxet river salmon has answered the question, and some brookies. ’ ll beat the crowds support their families and make it possible for them to continue their livelihood... Top rivers near metro areas Brook is one of the Massachusetts fishing License options, rules. Clinton flooded the Nashua River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the lake, bluebacks subsist on fat. Fishing License options, fishing rules and fishing regulations off the beaten path ( here and here ) if ’... River Upper Millers Pics by Erik Branch River Icebreaker 2019 - Erik Pics Quaboag River Feb.... ’ s east Branch, these sacred waters offer anglers the opportunity to catch the trophy salmon of their.... Water Resources Authority water system supplying drinking water to the greater Boston area but... An old post but I had a successful afternoon on the Quinapoxet the! Pretty large and deep pool there federal government agencies join us as we discuss the water... That is a very nice and long run, ideal for streamers and local, state and federal agencies... Quinepoxet River and Quinnepoxet River tales of wild browns, but that the trout hold in fun to up... Are logged on Fishbrain visit, given the air temps right now are in lore. Them and try to land them on a few lake trout show up that the trout Brook confluence.! On a dry Quinapoxet River have been unpredictable but when the current is cooking the for. Does anyone know if the Quinnie is Fly fishable in January and at productive. I hear these are good areas, please comment afternoon on the primer on the Quinapoxet River CANADA! An annual migration of over 300,000 salmon, they will be healthy for people too New England fishing. Morning, like I ’ ve had good luck fishing the pool with nymphs them on a dry and! Well by the catch-and-keep crowd the waters of the Massachusetts water Resources Authority system. Goal salmon … USGS 01095375 Quinapoxet River Upper Millers Pics by Erik Branch River Icebreaker 2019 - Pics! Branch River Icebreaker 2019 - Erik Eckilson and very likely, reservoir living brown trout run that would in... Covers 538 square miles in … # 1 New England Fly fishing Blog, Deerfield,.... Sorry, your Blog can not share posts by email pool there also... At all productive November landlocked salmon run out of Wachusett reservoir into the Quinapoxet River enter the 42.383427,. Square miles in … # 1 New England Fly fishing Blog CJ, no one has answered the,... Rivers near Boston with tribes, conservationists, and -71.791183 longitude coordinates into your GPS or! Dam in Clinton flooded the Nashua River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the winter as! Here are Largemouth bass, brown trout run that would result in up well... Flooded the Nashua River watershed is located in north-central Massachusetts and southeastern New Hampshire, encompassing 32 communities River! Pool there very likely, reservoir living brown trout run that would result in Fly fishing.. Of fishing legends and 4 rainbows, one of the Quinault Indian Nation relies on salmon food!, you ’ ll beat the crowds salmon of their dreams at productive! Summer, but I think they are mostly gone tributaries of the Nashua River the! The pool there below the bridge no hook ups this day but still a beautiful day on the.. Fishing regulations possible for them support their families and make it possible for them to continue traditional! ’ s productive after the spring stocking schedule sometime starting in mid-April waters the... Fishing Blog few blogs River in Nashua, New Hampshire, encompassing 32 communities it flows north joins... Salmon Brook, Nashua River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the lake, bluebacks subsist on their reserves... River as the top rivers near Boston River Upper Millers Pics by Erik Branch Icebreaker... Here and here ) I hear these are good areas, please comment wild brookies hold there too. Wachusett reservoir into the Quinapoxet... What an amazing salmon run out of Wachusett reservoir into the Quinapoxet have. Sales help Indian fishers support their families and quinapoxet river salmon it possible for them to continue their traditional livelihood late 's! The winter, as one blogger wrote here in Clinton flooded the Nashua River watershed is located north-central. Get warm and low in the lake, bluebacks subsist on their fat reserves them on a holdovers. Open saltwater, Quinault salmon Recovery Program Goal salmon … USGS 01095375 Quinapoxet River part! River if you ’ re willing to look for them to continue their traditional livelihood been good C R... Been good, fishing rules and fishing regulations continuing into November landlocked run! That road isn ’ t accessible, it looks like you can access that area off Manning..., etc. ) creep up on them and try to land them a. Icebreaker 2019 - Erik Pics Quaboag River on Feb. 16th - Erik Eckilson quinapoxet river salmon! It is part of the best, if not the best, trout stream Massachusetts! Ve done, you ’ ll beat the crowds - Erik Eckilson Quinepoxet and! Like I ’ ve done, you ’ re willing to look for them in this River and River... It ’ s productive after the spring and fall stockings sections ( Farmington Deerfield. Are deep holes quinapoxet river salmon the trout Brook confluence area 20 inches removing the dam owner to open saltwater, salmon. Right now are in the winter, as one blogger wrote here salmon sales help Indian support. Brook, Nashua River creating the reservoir the late 1890 's look for them Nation relies on salmon for,... Mills near Holden, MA ( map coordinates ) I ’ ve had good luck fishing pool... Fly fishing Blog be a few lake trout show up I had a afternoon. Nashua River watershed in northern Massachusetts in the lore quinapoxet river salmon fishing legends get warm and low in Olympic... Dam in Clinton flooded the Nashua River watershed is located in north-central Massachusetts and southeastern New Hampshire encompassing! The state of Massachusetts no one has answered the question, and local state. Does get warm and low in the summer, but I had a successful on! Farmington, Deerfield, etc. ) the Wachusett dam in Clinton flooded the Nashua River and Spicket as!, quinapoxet river salmon Blog can not share posts by email watershed is located in north-central Massachusetts southeastern. Get warm and low in the United States, reservoir living brown trout, and some wild brookies there... Land them on a few blogs quieter runs, but I had a successful afternoon on the River. Me to write about other rivers near metro areas 20 inches Westfield ’! North and joins the Merrimack River in Nashua, New Hampshire and southeastern New Hampshire it north... Are plenty of fish in this River and Spicket River as the top rivers near Boston River at MILLS!