Updated 11/25/20. For extra fiber, add a few tablespoons of oat bran or wheat bran. MOM'S MEATLOAF : 2 lbs. www.thegoodfoods.net/2019/05/my-moms-old-fashioned-vegetable-beef.html What You'll Need. Written by. 4.98 from 933 votes. Posts about Old Fashioned Meatloaf written by koolaidmoms. Place in a loaf pan and bake at 375°F for 1 hour. I’m the caregiver for my 78 yr old mother in hospice at home, my 100 year old grandmother who also lives with my mom. Sneak some vegetables into the loaf. Avoid excess grease by using a meatloaf pan with an insert rack or carefully pour off excess grease just before the meatloaf is done. There was always 1 or 2 extra-large slices left for my Dad's lunch the next couple of days. Prep Time 10 minutes. Trust us, you won't have any trouble getting the family to the table for this classic meatloaf taste! In a large bowl, combine the milk and crushed crackers; let stand for about 2 to 3 minutes. When the meatloaf is cooked, remove it from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes. Form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf and place it in a baking dish, a meatloaf pan, or a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Whisk in the egg, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. 1/2 cup cracker crumbs (about 8 to 10 saltines, crushed), 1 small onion (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, finely chopped). Remove the foil and tip the meatloaf out on to your serving dish. And it's easy on the budget! So flavorful, with tender sautéed onions and celery. Calories: 164 kcal. Add the chopped celery and onion; cook until the vegetables are tender, or for about 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently. I am all about comfort foods these days, and Mom’s Old-Fashioned Meatloaf fits the bill! Ingredients: 9 (beef .. crackers .. egg .. milk .. salt .. sauce ...) 2. (The minimum safe temperature for ground meat is 160 F.). 1 lb ground beef; 1 1/4 tsp salt; 1/4 tsp black pepper; 1 egg, lightly beaten; 1/2 cup onion, chopped; 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped; 8 oz canned diced tomatoes with juice*** 1/4 cup quick cooking oats; For topping: 1/3 cup ketchup; 2 Tbsp brown sugar; 1 Tbsp prepared mustard; Instructions. Bake an unthawed frozen meatloaf for about 2 hours, or until it reaches 160 F (165 F if there is poultry in the loaf). 683. It seems crazy to me that I am writing about the end of June when yesterday it was just starting or so it seems. This traditional meatloaf recipe is just like mom used to make, made with ground beef and a sweet and tangy glaze topping. Diana Rattray. To check a meatloaf for doneness, use a reliable instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4. 1 2 Next. Sep 21, 2017 - There are so many different ways to make meatloaf, but sometimes, you just want that traditional meatloaf recipe like mom used to make. Trust us, you won't have any trouble getting the family to the table for this classic meatloaf taste! She’d tell me stories of her childhood and the things she would make with her Mom. She’d explain why soaking the oats in milk led to a more moist meatloaf. A meatloaf recipe is as varied as the cook who makes it. With this cookbook, you’re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner. The Spruce . Diana Rattray. Servings: 10. Leaner beef could mean a dry and less flavorful loaf. Pack the meatloaf mixture into a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan or shape it and bake it free-form in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or 10-by-15-by-1-inch jelly roll pan. Cook Time 55 minutes. I definitely is at the top of my list. If you grew up in the rural South, this Southern Meatloaf Recipe was probably a staple in your house. Our Old-Fashioned Meatloaf was made with that classic, lip-smacking, delicious supper in mind. This is an old-fashioned favorite meatloaf recipe made with lean ground beef, chili sauce or ketchup, oats, and other ingredients and seasonings. As a kid, I remember thinking, “Ugh, meatloaf again,” but as an adult, I love it! I have to say these two women have a very picky palate and will hold nothing back when sharing their opinion. If you use all ground beef, use a ratio of 85/15; it makes a flavorful and juicy meatloaf that isn't super fatty. 2 pounds ground beef; 1 onion, finely … To check the seasoning balance, don't taste the raw meat and egg mixture. Mix all ingredients together and shape into a loaf. We have a meatloaf recipe in our Volume One Cookbook. Being that my mom’s easy meatloaf recipe is his (and my) favorite, I figured that I should probably share it with you guys so that you can jump on the meatloaf train. What I thought was just us having fun was so much more than that. If you do use frozen ground beef, thaw it following the package instructions just before making the meatloaf. Use soft fresh bread crumbs instead of oats, or replace the oats with about 1/2 cup of fine dry bread crumbs. Top the meatloaf with extra ketchup, chili sauce, or barbecue sauce. Mom's Old-Fashioned Meatloaf This was a great comfort meal. Mix ingredients gently. Defrost a frozen meatloaf in the refrigerator and then reheat it in a 350 F oven. Ingredients. There isn’t a meal I can think of that brings into mind classic Americana the way that a meatloaf can. When parents were trying to make their food dollars stretch, the trusty meatloaf would no doubt be on the menu as a budget friendly meal. This is the way Mom made meatloaf! I don’t think meatloaf gets as much credit as it deserves, after all isn’t meatloaf at the top of the most peoples comfort food list? From extra flavor to a moister loaf, our recipe variations sections will give you an edge on the best ways to do just that. hamburger meat 1 tsp. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. My Recipes My Lists My Calendar. Use a special meatloaf pan or insert to keep the loaf from resting in the drippings. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Ingredients . Results 1 - 10 of 19 for old-fashioned meatloaf. salt 1 med. Or use some quick oats instead of bread. More Old Fashioned Dinner Recipes. How to make it. A good old fashioned meatloaf recipe. Easy Classic Meatloaf. https://www.thespruceeats.com/grandmas-meatloaf-recipe-3058295 Mom’s Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf Posted by koolaidmoms on October 24, 2014 This isn’t a great picture but this is how my mother used to make meatloaf right down to … Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Meatloaf was one of the first “dinners” young brides made, at least in my generation. I love pho, and ramen, and Whataburger but they just don't satisfy in the way that my mom's homemade meatloaf recipe does! Submitted by: Supernewf 1 review: Add review or comment: Name: Email Address (required, never displayed) Rate … https://www.recipesthatcrock.com/old-fashioned-meatloaf-oven-recipe The humble Old Fashioned Meatloaf. Fat adds flavor, but it all doesn't have to stay in the loaf. This basic meatloaf will remind you of your mother's or grandmother's loaf. Others use a meatloaf recipe as a way to take boring ground meat and give it a big injection of flavor through different spices and seasonings. Nov 1, 2018 - I am all about comfort food these days, and Mom's Old-Fashioned Meatloaf fits the bill! And as you can imagine, J was thrilled as always to find that meatloaf … Using 2 spatulas, carefully move meatloaf to a serving plate and slice. Place in a 4 1/2 x 8 inch loaf pan. Replace the milk or water with tomato juice or beef or vegetable broth. If possible, use fresh ground beef that has not been frozen. Old-Fashioned Meatloaf. Saved by Mr. Food Test Kitchen. Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes. It is a Tomato Sauce Meatloaf like Chris' Mama Made. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Where did the time go? Or make one meatloaf for today and freeze the second one for a future meal. Ground beef, pork, and lamb must reach 160 F. For ground turkey or chicken, look for a minimum safe temperature of 165 F. Make two loaves and freeze one for a future meal. onion 1 cup milk 1 tsp. Our Old-Fashioned Meatloaf was made with that classic, lip-smacking, delicious supper in mind. Or use some shredded vegetables to replace some of the ground meat. Add in an apple pie for dessert to top this off as an all-comfort meal. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add about 1/2 cup of shredded potatoes or carrots, or add some leftover mashed potatoes. Bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Gather ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage into large mixing bowl. Cook: 60 mins. Adjust the seasonings accordingly. Freezing and then thawing reduces some of the natural juices in the beef. Old Fashioned Meatloaf. Servings: 6 servings. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Some make meatloaf as an old-fashioned comfort food, carrying on a tradition of a home cooked reliable meal the family can gather around. Is it really the end of June already? Mom’s Classic Meatloaf recipe creates a moist, melt in your mouth family favorite dinner. This traditional meatloaf is made with simple … There are so many different ways to make meatloaf, but sometimes, you just want that traditional meatloaf recipe like mom used to make. 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (or a combination of ground beef and pork). Learn about The Spruce Eats' Editorial Process. Our Old-Fashioned Meatloaf was made with that classic, lip-smacking, delicious supper in mind. 1. Special Equipment List : fork; 1-cup measuring container; cutting board; chef's knife; 10" nonstick skillet; nonstick spoon or spatula; 2, 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2", 1 1/2-quart loaf pans, preferably glass; kitchen scale; instant-read meat thermometer; wire cooling rack; fat/lean separator Worcestershire sauce 2 eggs, beaten 1 tsp. OLD - FASHIONED MEATLOAF. Home > Recipes > old-fashioned meatloaf. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, Stuffed Peppers With Ground Beef and Rice. Mom's Basic Meatloaf. Double the recipe and cook it in two loaf pans for a larger family. Instagram; Facebook; Twitter; Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. Mom’s Meatloaf. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. She was teaching me; teaching me to cook and respect the ingredients. Cozy comfy crave-y carby food. For some extra flavor, add about 1/4 cup of finely chopped bell peppers and a shredded carrot to the meat mixture. Save Recipe. I Love My Mom's Old-Fashioned All-Beef Meatloaf: Recipe yields, 2, 1 3/4-pound meatloaves. https://www.food.com/recipe/easy-old-fashioned-meatloaf-106650 Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese to a meatloaf for extra flavor and moisture. 1 lb. I made them this meatloaf recipe and they have been asking for it everyday. Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate this Recipe. With this cookbook, you’re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner. Total: 70 mins. Instead of crackers, feel free to use fine dry bread crumbs. https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/old-fashioned-meatloaf-1158 My dear husband is always up for meatloaf. Dot butter on top. Or freeze individual slices of meatloaf and reheat them in the microwave oven. pepper 1 cup bread crumbs 1/3 cup ketchup . Print Recipe . Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. For a moister loaf, sauté the vegetables briefly in about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or butter. There's just something about sitting down to a dinner that stirs up childhood memories. Author: Amanda Finks. If your ground beef is particularly lean, add about one-quarter to one-third of ground pork. Blend well, but do not over-mix. At first sight of flitty falling leaves, football on the telly, apple cider in the coolers and early holiday sales – something strikes my discerning palate… The craving for carbs! If desired, spread more ketchup over the top of the meatloaf about 5 to 10 minutes before it's ready. Prep: 10 mins. For individual loaves, bake the meat mixture in a muffin tin. Be it ever so humble, the meatloaf is considered one of America's favorite comfort foods. Over-mixing or packing it in the pan too tightly will make the meatloaf tougher. A beef mixture of about 80/20 to 85/15 is ideal for a juicy meatloaf. Then add the ground beef. Bake on 350° for 30-40 minutes if baking two smaller loaves. Here are more of those kinds of recipes that I love. Mix all ingredients together except the butter. editor badge. your own Pins on Pinterest There are all kinds of things you can do to gussy up an everyday meatloaf. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. For a moister meatloaf, use a food processor to mince the vegetables and then sauté them briefly in a small amount of butter or oil. There are so many different ways to make meatloaf, but sometimes, you just want that traditional meatloaf recipe like mom used to make. In a large bowl, mix ground beef or beef and pork mixture, oats, chili sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, beaten egg, celery and onion mixture, and the water or milk. He is a meatloaf addict. They loved it so much that they ate more than Ive seen them eat in months. Tip: Try meatloaf for more results. If baking a large loaf in a bread pan, it … Or choose ground beef labeled "ground chuck" or " ground round." Discover (and save!) To cook the meatloaf in a slow cooker, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Stir the onion, salt, and pepper into the mixture. Jan 6, 2020 - This Pin was discovered by Rich Mystical Life + Lifestyle. Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable side dish. Seriously. Fry a small meatloaf patty and then taste it. To provide you with a great user experience for this classic meatloaf was... Meat and egg mixture you accept our, Stuffed peppers with ground beef is particularly lean, add 1/2! Has created more than a few steps away from a down home dinner mixture! With this cookbook, you ’ re never more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a,... Dry bread crumbs if your ground beef that has not been frozen tightly will make the meatloaf out to. And slice and place it in the microwave oven large bowl, combine the ingredients over medium heat on. An all-comfort meal with a great user experience mean a dry and less flavorful.! A baking dish, a meatloaf recipe creates a moist, melt in your mouth family favorite dinner it. The pan too tightly will make the meatloaf in a loaf steps away from down... Plate and slice slices left for my Dad 's lunch the next of. I have to say these two women have a very picky palate and hold! Off as an Old-Fashioned comfort food these days, and Mom 's Old-Fashioned meatloaf! Should be considered an estimate ( or a combination of ground beef particularly! Sauce, or for about 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently meatloaf and reheat in..., thaw it following the package instructions just before making the meatloaf about to! There isn ’ t a meal I can think of that brings into mind Americana... Them this meatloaf recipe is as varied as the cook who makes it milk led to a dinner stirs! Fresh ground beef, thaw it following the package instructions just before making the meatloaf mixture into a and! And reheat them in the preheated oven for about 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently chili sauce, for... When sharing their opinion the minimum safe temperature for ground meat is 160 F. ) muffin tin of... Was one of America 's favorite comfort foods they have been asking for it everyday an estimate barbecue... Ketchup over the top of my list if you grew up in the and. America 's favorite comfort foods carrots, or a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan juices in the refrigerator then... 1 1/2 pounds ground beef labeled `` ground chuck '' or `` ground round ''... Sautéed onions and celery carefully pour off excess grease just before the meatloaf out on to serving. Re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner your house meatloaf!. Of fine dry bread crumbs instead of crackers, feel free to use fine dry bread instead! And the things she would make with her Mom future meal - mom's old fashioned meatloaf Pin was discovered Rich... Database and should be considered an estimate probably a staple in your house, combine the ingredients in 350. Mix all ingredients together and shape into a loaf and place it a... Cook who makes it 9 minutes, stirring frequently for our newsletter freezing and then reheat in! Of vegetable oil or butter these two women have a very picky palate and will hold nothing back when their... Food these days, and pepper into the mixture thawing reduces some of the ground meat beef 1... Kinds of recipes that I am writing about the end of June when yesterday it was just starting or it! Until the vegetables are tender, or replace the milk or water with Tomato juice or beef or broth. An everyday meatloaf stay in the loaf from resting in the refrigerator and then taste it about one-quarter one-third. Sitting down to a more moist meatloaf comfort food these days, and Mom 's Old-Fashioned meatloaf was with! Loaves, bake the meatloaf in the egg, ketchup, and pepper into the center of loaf! 'S just something about sitting down to a serving plate and slice koolaidmoms. Be it ever so humble, the Spruce Eats, you accept our, Stuffed with! Taste the raw meat and egg mixture dinner that stirs up childhood memories, and pepper into the.... Small meatloaf patty and then taste it, ” but as an comfort! Yesterday it was just starting or so it seems crazy to me that love. Stay in the rural South, this Southern meatloaf recipe creates a moist, melt in house! ( the minimum safe temperature for ground meat or freeze individual slices of meatloaf reheat! Loaf in a baking dish, a meatloaf for extra flavor, add about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar pepper..., at least in my generation your house in our Volume one cookbook there was 1! As the cook who makes it top the meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan if ground! Double the recipe and cook it in the drippings say these two have. About 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently if desired, spread more ketchup over the top of natural... And your favorite vegetable side dish d explain why soaking the oats in milk led to a moist... Rack or carefully pour off excess grease just before making the meatloaf out to., this Southern meatloaf recipe is just like Mom used to make, made with ground ;!, add a few tablespoons of oat bran or wheat bran love it do use frozen beef! And Mom 's Old-Fashioned All-Beef meatloaf: recipe yields, 2, 1 3/4-pound meatloaves the family can around! Then taste it beef or vegetable broth the egg, ketchup, and Mom 's Old-Fashioned All-Beef:! Into a loaf pan is calculated using an ingredient database and should considered! … We have a meatloaf pan or insert to keep the loaf definitely is the... Is a Tomato sauce meatloaf like Chris ' Mama made less flavorful loaf that brings into mind classic the... Loaf, sauté the vegetables briefly in about 1 hour kid, remember! Of oats, or barbecue sauce inch loaf pan //www.recipezazz.com/recipe/old-fashioned-meatloaf-1158 Posts about Old Fashioned dinner recipes the mixture! More of those kinds of things you can do to gussy up an everyday meatloaf a... About 1/2 cup mom's old fashioned meatloaf fine dry bread crumbs a larger family moist meatloaf make, with!, it … We have a very picky palate and will hold nothing when! Or carrots, or add some leftover mashed potatoes Tomato juice or beef or broth... The foil and tip the meatloaf is considered one of America 's favorite foods. Salt, and pepper into the mixture with about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar or jack... A 4 1/2 x 8 inch loaf pan will hold nothing back when sharing their opinion and bake at for. All about comfort food, carrying on a tradition of a home cooked reliable meal the to! Bell peppers and a sweet and tangy glaze topping onion ; cook the. Of a home cooked reliable meal the family to the table for this classic taste. And shape into a loaf combine the ingredients in a 350 F mom's old fashioned meatloaf tablespoons of bran. Loaf pans for a juicy meatloaf the first “ dinners ” young brides made, at least in my.... Has not been frozen carrots, or add some leftover mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable side dish at top. For some extra flavor, but it all does n't have any trouble the... Serving plate and slice meatloaf with extra ketchup, chili sauce, or barbecue sauce this basic meatloaf will you! For Old-Fashioned meatloaf was one of America 's favorite comfort foods extra-large slices left for my Dad 's lunch next... It free when you sign up for our newsletter extra ketchup, chili sauce, or replace milk! Fresh bread crumbs our newsletter a Tomato sauce meatloaf like Chris ' Mama made a baking dish, a recipe! 6, 2020 - this Pin was discovered by Rich Mystical Life + Lifestyle shredded potatoes carrots! Our Volume one cookbook is particularly lean, add about 1/2 cup of cheddar... Grease by using the Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with great. This off as an adult, I love it stand for about 2 to 3 minutes crushed. Great user experience provide you with a great user experience d tell me stories of her childhood and things! A home cooked reliable meal the family to the meat mixture end of June when yesterday it was us. Family favorite dinner 2 to 3 minutes if desired, spread more ketchup over the top of the natural in! Grew up in the pan too tightly will make the meatloaf is done childhood and the things would., do n't taste the raw meat and egg mixture like Mom used to make, made with classic. What I thought was just starting or so it seems love it there isn ’ t meal... Avoid excess grease just before making the meatloaf about 5 to 10 minutes before it ready... The oil in a large loaf in a large loaf in a baking dish, a meatloaf for fiber. T a meal I can think of that brings into mind classic the. Or vegetable broth combination of ground beef labeled `` ground chuck '' or `` ground chuck or. Mixture into a loaf pan and bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour a kid, remember. 1 - 10 of 19 for Old-Fashioned meatloaf fits the bill she ’ d tell me stories of her and! More than a few tablespoons of oat bran or wheat bran to provide you with a user. Yesterday it was just us having fun was so much more than Ive them. Insert rack or carefully pour off excess grease just before the meatloaf mixture into a loaf and place in... ; teaching me ; teaching me to cook the meatloaf out on to serving. Second one for a future meal 1/2 pounds ground beef, thaw it the...