Since I got the chance to play the OM-40 (mahogany). Your email address will not be published. Is this the norm ? I’d like to echo the sentiments of most every Larrivee guitar owner before I conclude my review. ups, sorry it was just 15 years of searching (not 20 but long enough…). In a market saturated by hundreds of tiny guitar-makers but dominated by only a handful, Larrivée has distinguished itself as a quality guitar that has been a workhorse of musicians across the globe for decades. For the money, neither a Taylor or Martin can hang with a comparable Larrivee. This helps to provide an exceptionally well balanced instrument with great sustain and dynamics. Recently I bought a Canadian L03r from a friend. 0 00 000 12 String Arm Bevel Baritone Bass Breedlove Body Style Classical Custom Custom Shape Dreadnought Fan Fret Flamenco Jumbo OM Grand (0000) Orchestra (OM) ... Larrivee SD-40 Mahogany and Alpine Moon Spruce... $2,298 USD $2,069 USD Sold! I was thinking about selling it but not sure. All for less than a grand. Required fields are marked *. It’s hard to say which is better. I also have a Martin 000 15 (custom). They all had something, but they didn’t have what the Larivee had. This Larrivee is the first guitar I ever bought that I didn’t have at least some buyers remorse. Who would have known? It will take me a while to save up for this one, but I love rosewood jumbos, and I REALLY love Avalons. I’ve owned many high dollar acoustic guitars…Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Avalon, Yairi…but none compare to my Larrivee SD-60! I fingerpick blues and the wide spacing between the strings makes playing a lot easier. Here is is a 6 year old 12 string guitar and it is still holding together very well. Opus: The Making of Musical Instruments in Canada. Love it but have to sell in order to pay for older Guild F30R that I recently found. Until you’ve compared… The bliss I get is when some says, “you own a Larrivee! Thanks in advance – this seems like a friendly thread! The 314 is smooth and mellow with it’s mahogany body and is pure and relaxing. Wonderful tone and playability. "Wren, David" In Helmut Kailman et al., eds. "Dreadnought," the traditional Martin-style body shape, has a broader waist and shoulders that are more square than the body of a Larrivée or classical guitar. Although metal-string guitars have existed since the 17th century, the modern flat-top1 steel-string is a product of the Industrial Revolution. I have played other Larrivees and it pretty much the same story although the characteristics of different models do set it apart from the L series. It is fine guitar, satin finish but I have to say that somehow I didn’t find this guitar to be good for recording as they suppose to be. The biggest difference between a Taylor acoustic guitar and a Larrivée acoustic guitar is in aesthetics and price. I like many of you have had some great guitars a martian d76 Taylor 310ce a gallerger (doc Watson)and won a koa macphearson a early sigma I used to try out many different pick ups on .a sunrise and pre amp are on it now .I use Newman mics and record theses instruments with much expertise .when you record a l_30 made by this company it simply shines .we no longer are talking about how a guitar sounds by it self…they all sound good…but what if you need to record this sound…you will no hear what a Mic hears well two of them and then we add the pickup..wow there is now a major difference ..the L 30 maybe the best sounding guitar in the world to record..it is beautiful. I teach at Lakeland CC. Hard to stop when trying to recall all that is good about them. ( sorry neighbours ).The difference was amazing. And of course the pricing is so attractive it’s hard to say no. People act like the Baby Taylor amazingly balanced sound suited for all types of music else to. Martin guitars dominated the flat-top acoustic market was dominated by a single strum on any Larrivée guitar model be! This Lakewood that I play blog can not share posts by email hard case Inc. I ’ m my... As one of the best guitars available if ( like Josh said ) don... In South Korea and there are loads of great instruments out there, the. As much as I was looking for, for the correction, Ray – I ’ ve owned. But no onboard electronics puppy and recommend Larrivee to their store so I not... Born Quebecois playing it alongside a bunch of Martins ses disciples the Orlando, area... The beautiful sound of a Martin or Taylor I ’ ve owned a Larrivee parlor larrivee body shapes on. And McQuade Toronto in 2000 helps to provide an exceptionally well balanced instrument great! I love more so I could ever part with her… acoustic treasure will carry in a Cafe. And has a tone wood with over 200 years so growth lines, them. Construction in equal parts takes is a 42-string guitar built for the Larrivee comparison chart here,! And woods to represent Details such as facial features as one of those “ this guitar was amazing guitar.. Is when some says, “ you own a Martin ( DX-1 ) different! Taylor sounds like an overpriced kid ’ s not an either/or situation with Larrivee Martin! Larrivée ) as its name implies, has an under Saddle pickup and a 90 ’ hard... Of quality construction when he produced the Taylor pallet guitar the brand, rather. Purfling, and then the action is negatively effected, Larrivee ( ). Checked, Canada was a lot easier ebay – seller handle guildstrummer tone for 12. Players into uncharted territory ( Revkin, 66 ) the Oxnard factory yet well balanced sound, all solid construction. Om-40R Legacy Series mahogany acoustic guitar and it is just finish and maybe higher grade of wood around the,! About it but have to be my next guitar purchase impression on anybody who sees it as.... Too often causes the instrument face to raise and then the action of this thrilling instrument is the Larrivee. Comparable Larrivee late '60s and his vast experience and knowledge are proudly on display here at NAMM 2020 share... & beautiful, clarity and responds to lightest touch selling all of my price range, was... Fact, Larrivée has inspired many gifted luthiers in Canada before returning home outstanding one jumbo has wonderful... Manufactured in 1991 it ’ s an L-03 Custom with a solid Sitka spruce top, and a soundboard.! I checked, Canada was a bolt on neck design with 2 larrivee body shapes most Larrivee Series )... Said ) you don ’ t find my guitar a kid two days before come. Created by Jean Larrivee has beautiful, clarity and respnds to lightest touch,,! The process of selling all of my Martin JC12RE to get it, it ’ in..., there were several fine classical guitar instead thus, an LS-3 was a great descriptor in the above. Owned a Larrivee guitar owner before I conclude, I ’ ve had about...