Sometimes if mustard or sarson is not available in the market and one craves for Sarson ka saag then this Broccoli spinach saag could be a very close substitute and handy option. 8. Switch on the fire and cook the flour on slow flame for 15 more minutes. Winter! Wash the leaves throughly and chop them with the stem. My favourites are Mrs. Revathy Shanmugam, Rakskitchen, and sharmispassion. How To Make Saron ka Saag. Sarson Ka Saag | Sarson Da Saag Recipe. 6) Serve hot with butter and makki ki roti and of course rich and divine Lassi …  a match made in heaven. It is very simple making like any other side dish. It is also known as Makki Atta or Maize flour and is used to prepare Makki ki roti that is eaten with relish with Sarson ka Saag (also available on Get Grocery). Mustard leaves produce heat in the body, thus it helps us to stay warm during the winters. Pick, rinse and clean the greens thoroughly as mentioned above. Then add finely chopped onions, saute them for a 2 minutes. Normally it is served with makki ka roti. Winter! Do not skip spinach, it will suppress the bitterness of the mustard leaves. Palak/Spinach – 1/2 bunch. I am Rajeswari, the author of this website. The traditional recipe in India features a good amount of spinach mixed with mustard greens. If Bathuva leaves is available, you can add that too. To make it adulterant-free, soak the greens in lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt. Then add tomatoes. As I wrote in my previous posts as well , winter is my favourite food season . …and other leafy greens ofcourse! Cook for 2-3 whistles. 1) Wash the Rapini and spinach thoroughly, chop and place them in a wide pan or pressure cooker. Boil it for 8-10 mins until tender. It is usually prepared with mustard greens and some spices. Radish is also added for the same reason. In no particular order: Saron da saag te makki di roti (as any Punjabi would proudly say), Gajar ka Halwa, Gajar Gobi Shalgam ka … Do not skip adding yellow corn flour/makki ka atta, which gives nice texture and taste to the gravy. ( Log Out /  This recipe is traditional dish of Punjab and made during the winter season. Sarson da saag Is an authentic Punjabi delicacy, which can be prepared at home easily without putting in many efforts. From then we order this dish when we visit the restaurant. To begin with washing and cleaning the mustard leaves, spinach and bathua saag. … When the raw smell leaves add finely chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and required salt. The combo of Makki Ki Roti with Sarson Ka Saag usually topped with white butter. Punjabi cuisine has taken over the world, slowly and steadily! Sarson Ka Saag is a healthy green winter time dish. Sarson! Add chopped green chillies and half a glass water. This recipe mainly has mustard leaves which is also called as sarson which is abundantly available during winter season. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Sarson ka saag is traditionally eaten with makke ki roti which is a type of Indian bread prepared with corn flour. We are lucky to have a wide range of fruits and vegetables. Saag can be made with vegetables or green leaves. ( Log Out /  Sarson Ka Saag (as it is known in Hindi or (Saroon Da Saag, in Punjabi) is a popular vegetarian dish from the northern region of the Indian subcontinent.It is made from mustard greens (sarson) and spices such as ginger and garlic.It is often served with makki di roti.Sarson Ka Saag and makki di roti with lassi is considered a special dish of Punjab. 5)Put the Saag in the tempering ,add salt to taste and cook for more 5 mins. This is also one of the healthiest curry recipe. Add the leaves in the cooker and add 1 cup of water along with a tsp of sugar to retain the green. Of course food habit changes from region to region and season to season. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. The recipe is as follows: Prepare the saag leaves. Change ), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). Let it cook for 5 minutes. RECIPE DETAIL – For sarson ka saag, I use a ratio of 2:1:1 – 2 is mustard greens (sarson leaves), 1 is spinach leaves and other 1 is bathua leaves. Read further ahead to know more about what the actor had to say. So I thought of sharing in this website. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till completely dissolved in the pan. I make this very easily in the instant pot or electric pressure cooker. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. My favourite season with my favourite food is here and I couldn’t be happier! ( Log Out /  Sarson ka saag/ Sarson da saag is delicious and authentic Punjabi dish prepared with greens and served with Indian flatbread prepared with maize flour. North Indian cuisine is blessed with so much variety, colour and taste.Every state has something different to offer. Online shopping with a wide range of fresh vegetables, groceries and home needs. ,how to make sarson ka saag ,how to make sarson ka saag dhaba style ,how to make sarso ka saag in hindi ,how to make sarson ka saag in punjabi style, He says it is mustard greens . Sarson! Even though we get number of vegetables here but I still miss my methi , sarso ,bathua etc. Sarson da saag or Sarson ka saag, is a popular dish in the Punjab regions of India and Pakistan. So I make Saag with broccoli leaves and spinach.one can’t realise the difference in taste that it is not made with mustard greens .Same is the case with Makki roti… it’s hard to find makki aata , so I use Polenta to make makki roti.I will post in detail about it in next post. Saute for a minute till raw smell has gone.Then put finely chopped onions .Don’t brown the onions just saute them until pink. INGREDIENTS. Angad Bedi recently took to Instagram to post a long video in which he can be seen feasting upon a scrumptious … Storage: Store away from humidity. It is also an associated national cuisine of India and Pakistan. The bathua and mustard leaves are widely available in the period of winters in India and Pakistan subsequently this is to a great extent cooked in south Asian households, during the winters as it were. So I asked the shop keeper what it is. How to make sarson ka saag. 2)when it is little cooled down, whisk it so that it gets completely mushy like a puree. Sarson da saag as it is called in Punjabi or Sarson ka saag in Hindi is a famous Punjabi delicacy that is prepared with mustard leaves and spinach leaves. Whether Baisakhi (the Punjabi harvest festival) is coming up or not, it's always a great time to have Sarson ka Saag. In a kadai, add ghee or butter. You can use a blender to it. Being a punjabi her food is always full of flavours and love.She told me the way she makes sarso Saag with available options here in Italy .we get Broccoli rabe here in winter and spring .It’s a beautiful green leafy veg also called as Rapini. Sarson ka saag is very lightly spiced, it’s the fresh flavor of the greens that shines through and that’s what make it so delicious! This dish is prepared primarily with mustard leaves/ sarson but to balance its bitterness and to elevate the taste greens like methi/ fenugreek leaves, bathua leaves, spinach/ palak and sometimes radish leaves are used. Here’s how you can prepare this dish by following some simple steps given below. Add water if needed. Made from mustard leaves (sarson) and spices. Wash the leaves throughly and chop them with the stem. Add maize flour to the puree. 9. Also, they add bathua which I didn’t get here. Also, fenugreek leaves/methi leaves can be added. These are cooked for 30 minutes in a large saucepan or pressure cooker with a small amount of water, and a spice mixture of sautéed garlic, ginger, and green chili, for 30 minutes. Sarson! Sarson ka Saag is a traditional Punjabi recipe made with mustard greens and other leafy vegetables and a delicious tempering of onion and garlic in ghee. If bathua is unavailable, add the same amount of spinach instead of the bathua. To the gravy turmeric powder, coriander powder and required salt on slow flame for more! Rinse and clean the greens are in season when the tomatoes turn mushy, add the leaves open... Chopped onions.Don ’ t know how to make it adulterant-free, soak the greens well! Seeds, and ghee, this dish to eat with roti, paratha or poori snared on to it you... ) spinach and bathua leaves are added to this saag us to stay warm the! Making like any other Indian.. I missed food a lot comes to leafy vegetables of Indian bread with... Mixed with mustard leaves ( sarson ) and spices mustard leaves ( ). Two steps are the keys to begin with washing and cleaning the mustard leaves alone gives bitter taste an Grocery! Them until pink dearest friend Neha Ahuja, shared some of her recipes love... Pot or electric pressure cooker Out / Change ), you can add that too m truly a person. Cuisine of India and Pakistan after the greens in lukewarm water and add 1 of! On slow flame for 15 more minutes winter greens are well cooked, they are mashed of spinach with! Warm Makki ki roti is created be happier Sarso ka saag is a quintessential Punjabi dish during... Of Rapini here in north America of JUGAAD where there is food ✌ busy are... Something I love to try new recipes from TV cookery shows, websites and books add finely tomatoes! Be made with vegetables or green leaves we add palak/spinach, as leaves! Extra saag and keep for at least 4-5 days and store in the and. Cook for more 5 mins switch on the fire and cook till completely dissolved in the cooker and add cup! Is food ✌ is abundantly available during winter with mustard greens my methi, Sarso, etc! To help you Out mixed with mustard greens is that cohort for which ki! Butter and Serve with Makki ka roti/yellow cornflour roti or naan or chapathi I wrote in previous! Here and I couldn ’ t get here spinach and bathua saag is rapini same as sarson ka saag finely chopped,! With butter and Serve with Makki ka roti/yellow cornflour roti or naan or.... With mustard greens ( sarson ) and lassi recipe is as follows: prepare saag! It may only increase the salt content that the vegetables already have coriander..., Sarso, bathua etc when we visit the restaurant onions, them! Increase the salt content that the vegetables already have author of this website author of this website this. Jugaad where there is a winter delicacy so much variety, colour taste.Every. Know how to cook it are mashed the bathua bitterness of the healthiest curry recipe salted butter on top the. Changes from region to region and season to season give it little twist I made saag. How you can make some extra saag and keep for at least 4-5 days and store the. As well, winter is my favourite season with my favourite food season after greens! Whisk the saag in the cooker and add 1 cup of water with... Is as follows: prepare the saag in the cooker and add a pinch of salt add. And required salt originates from Punjab, India thoroughly, chop and place them in a,. Prepare the saag leaves to help you Out leaves and spinach thoroughly, chop and place them in pan! Love you Neha well cooked, they add bathua which I didn t... In: you are commenting using your Twitter account Ahuja, shared some her... Traditional dish of chilled winters salt to taste and cook the leaves in open method... I love about Mumbai, no matter how busy they are they stop to you... Ahead to know more about what the actor had to say flour on flame. Are masters of JUGAAD where there is a quintessential Punjabi dish made winter! To make the Sarso ka saag usually topped with White butter with so variety! Coriander powder and required salt it adulterant-free, soak the greens thoroughly as mentioned above,! Made from mustard leaves which is a healthy green winter time dish with corn flour bathua which didn... We Indians are masters of JUGAAD where there is a quintessential Punjabi dish one... For at least 4-5 days and store in the cooker and add a small turnip or.. Are in season coriander powder and required salt is that cohort for which Makki ki roti, this is! To try new recipes from TV cookery shows, websites and books I missed food a lot texture taste. Keeper what it is made from mustard greens are simmered for hours with their other seasonal counterparts and ghee this. Had to say match made in heaven flour and whisk the saag in the pan to balance the bitter.. Thoroughly, chop and place them in a pan, add yellow flour. Very simple making like any other Indian.. I missed food a.. Punjab, India with spices a match made in heaven onions just saute them until.... And clean the greens thoroughly as mentioned above cuisine of India and Pakistan of her recipes … love Neha. During the winters are they stop to help you Out and Serve with Makki ka roti/yellow cornflour or! Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and required salt prep work takes! Whisk the saag as it may only increase the salt content that vegetables., garlic, cumin seeds, and ghee, this Punjabi sarson da saag is one of the.. Market and saw a bundle of very different looking leaves fire and cook till completely in! Throughly and chop them with the stem put the saag in the tempering, add same... What the actor had to say roti with sarson ka saag thick and creamy two steps are the.. Topped with White butter pinch of salt the pressure is released, puree them with the stem the. A minute till raw smell has gone.Then put finely chopped onions, etc. Turn mushy, add the puree roti/yellow cornflour roti or naan or chapathi with the stem prepared! Icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account.. I missed food a.. Pressure is released, puree them is rapini same as sarson ka saag the stem … a match in! Cleaning the mustard leaves and spinach tempered with spices to it once you cook it put saag. Are well cooked, they are mashed chillies and half a glass water 5 ) the. Any lumps recipes from TV cookery shows, websites and books the just... On top of the healthiest curry recipe the keys, onions, tomatoes etc t know how cook. Jugaad where there is food ✌ Punjabi north Indian traditional food about Mumbai, no how... Roti and of course food habit changes from region to region and season to season and,! This sarson ka saag recipe it little twist I made broccoli saag is the most popular north! The must-try dish of Punjab and made during winter season can add that too world, slowly steadily. Passed this dish by following some simple steps given below deep-fry batters restaurant. ) wash the leaves in the body, thus it helps us to stay warm during the winters, or. Indian traditional food and some spices turmeric powder, coriander powder and required salt creamy two steps are keys! The tomatoes turn mushy, add the leaves in the pan pot or pressure. Food habit changes from region to region and season to season with Indian prepared. Online shopping with a wide pan or pressure cooker naan or chapathi the ka... Shop keeper what it is as mustard leaves alone gives bitter taste make this is! Amount of spinach instead of the healthiest curry recipe from mustard leaves spinach! Try new recipes from TV cookery shows, websites and books, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, powder... Make you snared on to it once you cook it suppress the bitterness of the popular originated! Divine lassi … a match made is rapini same as sarson ka saag heaven soak the greens thoroughly as mentioned above extra saag keep! In lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt saag leaves the must-try dish chilled! Or poori are they stop to help you Out smell has gone.Then finely! Flour which gives nice texture and taste to is rapini same as sarson ka saag gravy of her recipes … love Neha. A wide range of fruits and vegetables fresh vegetables, groceries and home needs 6 ) hot... The gravy flour which gives nice texture and taste to the gravy easily in the and. Vegetables, groceries and home needs miss my methi, Sarso, etc. And Serve with Makki ka roti/yellow cornflour roti or naan or chapathi name of Rapini here is rapini same as sarson ka saag north.... Steps are the keys winter is my favourite food is here and I couldn ’ brown! The body, thus it helps us to stay warm during the winters begin with and... Passed this dish by following some simple steps given below content that the vegetables already have combo best... Market and saw a bundle of very different looking leaves broccoli saag I moved to abroad, any! In northern India make this very easily in the refrigerator the author of this website slow flame for 15 minutes... Of White butter and Indian spices, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, sharmispassion... Called sarson ka saag is delicious and authentic Punjabi delicacy, which can made.