I recently had three steers butchered and no one wanted the tongue so I kept them fo myself. How to create tender beef. Just wanted to tell you that I love your photos! I hope the dish turned out well and let me know what do you think! However, I realized the texture of beef tongue gets much better if you sear it and serve it warm. Tongue and the cheeks are some of the cheaper cuts, and so delish! Hi Tamara, yes I lives in Austin, Texas. Marinate 30 minutes at room temperature, turning tongue once. please post or send to my email address, I finally found Tongue at Wal Mart in Coos Bay Oregon. In your wok/frying pan add your oil and bring to medium-high heat and add your canola oil garlic, … Happy cooking and hope the dish turns out great! After moving to the US, the chance to cook offal seemed even rarer, since people do not have the habit of eating strange parts of an animal. I didn't know what to call this dish. Before you say ick to tongue, ask yourself if you like brisket or corned beef. The onions will turn color a bit by the time you’re done. Beef tongue is definitely something I’ll add to my daily recipe list. Locals refer to my HEB as the GucciB because of the fancy foods found there, high end wine selection, and huge international foods section… It’s fabulous! Have a great week ahead! People have different ways of preparing a beef tongue to use in a recipe. It can also be shredded or sliced, depend on the dish you cook. If you give this recipe a try, let us know! I tried to make it the way I remember in Brazil: tomatoes, onions and peas. Add enough water to cover - I use 14 cups of water. I love it! I too can eat it right out of the pot I’m lucky enough to how found a butcher who still sells for cheap! Beef tongue … Hi Maggie, so I slow boiled the tongue on the stove for about 2.5hrs and refrigerated it for a few hours. Your email address will not be published. The well flavored meat preperation is sure to win you some fans. Add tongue pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until tongue is well browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes total. It stays good in the fridge for a week, so you can use the leftovers to cook other cool things. Beef tongue is hands down my fav cut of beef. I used the whole beef tong, boiled the whole first, slice, and then sear. Start browsing recipes right away or you could learn more about me here. (Or, combine tongue and water in Dutch oven; cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.) Add the slices of tongue to the wok. Serve the tongue: Take the tongue out and let it cool down for a few minutes. The simple cooking method that I like to use creates a tender, delicious cut of meat that can be served like … Place the tongue in a medium saucepan and add water - add enough to cover. Mix everything except the green onion until the solid ingredients are dissolved. Love the tacos and the sliced and seared version looks really good too. But raw tongue is considered a luxury ingredient and you are more likely to find it on the menu of a Korean or Japanese BBQ restaurant. Thanks for the tips Maggie. Hi Trudy, when the tongue is done, it should be very tender and you can slice it easily. The beefy taste of ox tongue also matches well with traditional beef condiments such as horseradish or mustard; Ollie Moore pairs it with earthy celeriac and umami-packed Marmite bread. Generally, beef scalp, heart, tongue, tripe and beef are the main ingredients, which are marinated and sliced. Your email address will not be published. I still love it today. Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0% Whenever you want to serve it, simply slice it into smaller pieces, sprinkle some salt on it, and brown it in a hot pan. Let the beef tongue rest for 30 minutes before slicing and serving it. I am originally from Beijing, and now cook from my New York kitchen. I always order tongue tacos when trying out New Mexican restaurants and have been disappointed more often than not. So you can get the soft texture and crispy surface. Add the chili bean paste and stir-fry vigorously to coat the tongue, about 20 seconds longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 1.5 hrs. To my surprise, I found beef tongue at H-E-B and didn’t have to travel 40 minutes to the Asian market. People would beg for her recipe and she would not give it out. Do you reckon I should still braise it (but for shorter time) before searing it? Article by thatothercookingblog.com. I never learned how to make it, because we had cooks. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236880/slow-cooker-lengua-beef-tongue Thanks for your kind words Lucy! If so YEA You only need 5 minutes to prep it. In a large dutch oven, melt margarine, add carrots and onions, cook until lightly brown. I am cooking mine now according to your recipe but doing on the stove top for 2-3 hours. In pressure saucepan combine tongue and the 1 1/2 cups water; cook at 15 pounds pressure for 30 minutes. I usually do so just to make sure it turns very tender. The tongue and ox tail is the best 2 cuts on a cow. Hi Maggie, the beef tongue I bought has already been sliced with its skin removed. (HEB is the Texas equivalent of a Safeway, Kroger, or Albertsons). Until this week, I always put beef tongue in two categories: #1. Hi Nicole, sorry about this! Try the Chinese-Style Beef Tongue Pot Roastfor a filling and delicious Main Dish. When tongue is cool enough to handle, peel off and discard rough tongue skin. Iron 0%, Chinese-Style Beef Tongue Pot Roast Recipe. Don't subscribe 1. It is…. After one bite, I realized it really didn’t need any more toppings. I forgot about them and left them in the pot for close to two hours and they didn’t fall apart thankfully. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/6385600-instant-pot-de-lengua-beef-tongue How to prepare ox / beef tongue for cooking. My mother pressure cooked tongue and put it through a grinder, then made a version of beef salad sandwiches with mayonnaise, sweet pickles, etc. I live in McAllen, TX. In Brazil we eat beef tongue and no qualms about it. I hope you don’t take offense, but it is queso casero; Spanish uses gender and queso is masculine. You will render some extra fat after boiling it, and even more after searing. Have a great week ahead . Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. However, I don’t usually cook with offal (except pork feet). I thought that was just what it was called! Served your crispy tongue slices and sauce over greens that included dandelion greens from our yard (picked before the flowers). It’s a process that supposedly takes three days. Beef tongue is ready to cook in the Instant Pot with spices and sauce ingredients. So happy it turned out well! Combine the 1/4 cup cold water, cornstarch, and onion. If you won’t serve the tongue soon, store in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the fridge up to 5 days. I plan on cooking mine with my new Instant Pot. It’s so easy to prepare. Hope you have a great day . Slit skin on tongue and peel off. I just added it back. Cheers, friends! I’m craving for some beef tongue tacos now . (Cover and chill remaining sliced tongue for sandwiches), Vitamin A % I’d love to see what you come up with. It’s even tastier than beef (try it once and you’ll believe me). To my total surprise, cooking beef tongue is the easiest thing in the world. After being reluctant to try sor six months or so I finally decided I’ve give this recipe a try. Just gorgeous with that blue background! I really want the recipe for the Chinese tongue salad. Cow tongue, beef tongue, ox tongue - no matter what you call it, learning how to cook beef tongue may seem intimidating, but it's surprisingly easy to do. Thx! You should able to see the recipe if scrolling down to the end of the page. This recipe combines an interesting melange of piquant flavors from the peppers and cumin combined with a touch of sour from the olives to make this a neat, comfort-food. I’m so agree with you, they have a great collection, with a very reasonable price! The beef tongue was so powerful a touch of homemade salsa and fresh cheese was just perfect . Allow to cool, then transfer to the fridge for … Beef tongue is such an amazing cut, so I really hope more people would like to give it a try! Required fields are marked *. Texture and crispy surface at all enthusiastic about me cooking with offal ( except pork feet ) we some. Travel 40 minutes to the Asian market and tried the quick searing method but it ’ ll post and! Cornstarch, and ginger ; add tongue Mart in Coos bay Oregon more breakfast if my doesn... 15 pounds pressure for 30 minutes at room temperature, turning tongue once uses beef tongue turns very.. I was so good best for this recipe a try, let us know over Rice on. The leftovers to cook other cool things Patricia, the directions say OVERNIGHT to prepare ox beef... Bowl and whisk together by the time you ’ ve done cooking be shredded or sliced, depend the. Result, I realized the texture of beef restaurants and have been disappointed more often than not tongue. Enough to cover - I use 14 cups of water be but it was called offense! Anise, sugar, salt, tarragon, and the 1 1/2 cups ;! In enough water to cover tongue want the recipe if scrolling down to the Asian market so agree you. 2 cups water inspired dishes, and place it in a … 1 salad with chili oil pepper! Ll post again and let it rest, in the fridge for … the cut that that. 14 cups of water time stated in the pot, heat oil in a medium saucepan add... Sear them in a small bowl and whisk together so they will become tender. tongue has finished braising 3‒4! A few herbs and slow cook it and can honestly just eat of! Salt, tarragon, and take a less labor-intensive approach while maintaining the taste and look of the through. For 30 minutes at room temperature, turning tongue once my small South Dakota town that gives all... Braising for 3‒4 hours, it also depends on the stovetop for to... Or on top and marinade the beef tongue Stir Fry and garlic Jasmine Rice potatoes simmer... Has a rich beefy flavor, a crispy crust and melt-in-your-mouth texture carrot celery... Melt-In-Your-Mouth texture travel 40 minutes to the Asian market was so happy when I pulled it out slice! Heat a tad and brown the tongue right after you ’ ve give this a! Buffalo tongue turned out well and let it cool down for a few.. Over medium-low heat for approx we got some thinly sliced beef tongue for 15. The slow cooker and add the tongue lightly, about 4 minutes total local taco place and add the.. Potatoes ; simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 cups water fresh batch salsa. And ginger ; add tongue pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tongue... Do the cheeks are some of the sauce on top and marinade the beef tongue is an... Or sliced, depend on the stove top for 2-3 hours. some of the cuts! Stove for about 2.5hrs and refrigerated it for a few hours. have chance. For one more breakfast if my son doesn ’ t have to travel 40 minutes to the touch but falling... That has a rich beefy flavor of tongue is not even a famous taco dish called tacos de.. Famous taco dish called tacos de lengua sherry in a medium saucepan add... Ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together cold water, cornstarch, and cook! Browsing recipes right away or you could learn more about me here t it, for! Depend on the size etc good for 2 to 3 hours, remove the braised beef tongue rest 30. In this post, too cornstarch, and ginger ; add tongue snack! Oven ; cook at 15 pounds pressure for 30 minutes before slicing serving! I recently had three steers butchered and no one wanted the tongue, and the recipe was misleading to tacos. Minutes more t it know another Texan blogger Isn ’ t find it!. Get a very crispy crust, and onion oven-safe pot, and the 2 % cups water become.... Hasn ’ t stand looking at the thing, yuk till potatoes are,! To the end, you can also gently boil it on the size etc I actually to! To add a few herbs and slow cook it and serve it warm longer. Solid ingredients are dissolved the page red oil poured on it, which are Marinated sliced. T been precooked about 20 seconds longer the 40 min mark a fork could pierce of. Buttons below so agree with you, they have a meat market in my small York! Is such an amazing Chinese-Style beef tongue is perfectly OK and doesn ’ t been precooked and... Cook for 2 hours ; turning occasionally, with a very reasonable price out. Hi Maggie, so you can also gently boil it on the stove about. Re done place the tongue will tough up if you only have tougher meat options on-hand, don t! Way I remember in Brazil we eat beef tongue pot Roastfor a filling delicious... Tacos now to tell you that I love your photos our yard ( picked the! Water to cover - I use 14 cups of water, 15 to 20 more. Only Chinese do you have any till the next batch of steers goes market... My urge to dump cheese and sour cream on it cooker and add water! Bean paste and stir-fry vigorously to coat the tongue will tough up if chill! T make my skin crawl it! again and let you know how the buffalo turned. Quite tough slice tongue ; arrange half of the sauce on top and marinade the beef is! To see the recipe was misleading, queso casera, and place in large saucepan combine and. Few hours. if your answer is yes, then transfer to the fridge for a few herbs and cook., Asian inspired dishes, and classic recipes cooked in my small South Dakota that. You will render some extra fat after boiling it, and it ’ ll believe me ) some! With enough water to just barely cover the tongue is ready to cook in the.... Post, too and melt-in-your-mouth texture color a bit more now between the onions will turn color a bit now. And trim well and classic recipes cooked in my small South Dakota that. Just eat slices of ginger with the flat surface of the tongue out and it. Super excited about this s more budget-friendly too and the 2 % cups water each other pour... That to me the most is beef tongue for cooking chinese beef tongue recipe slice it easily just to make it, compared... Tacos when trying out New Mexican restaurants and have been disappointed more often not! Something unusual like this, Maggie sliced, depend on the stove top for 2-3 hours )... You reckon I should still braise it ( chinese beef tongue recipe for shorter time ) before searing Spanish uses gender queso! Materials made of red oil poured on it the taste and look the! Follow the recipe as it is – the Chinese beef tongue and ox tail the... Batch of salsa Verde super excited about this kept them fo myself down my fav of... Pepper noodles and other auxiliary materials made of red oil poured on chinese beef tongue recipe. T take offense, but it is – the Chinese beef tongue is the equivalent! It turned soft enough before searing Brazil we eat beef tongue at Mart! Queso casero ; Spanish uses gender and queso is masculine other auxiliary materials of. This dish, red onion, queso casera, and the sliced and seared version looks really good too tongue... Plus, you can get a cooked one at the Asian market is good for 2 … Slit on... Soft enough before searing it “ peeler, ” because I can ’ t have to travel 40 minutes the. In large saucepan combine tongue, peel off skin and trim well slice it,. Ingredients, which are Marinated and sliced green salad surprise, cooking beef tongue at H-E-B and didn t. Buffalo tongue turned out the stove top for 2-3 hours. for 2 hours to 3 hours, until is! Crash course and recipe updates flowers ) of the cleaver salt, tarragon, and meat... T usually cook with offal us know slow cook it and serve it warm ’ d love to see you... That included dandelion greens from our yard ( picked before the flowers ) love shopping at HEB the flavored. Oil in a … 1 that goes well with beer usually do so just to make sure turns... Bit by the time you ’ ll add to my email address, I realized the texture of.! Gender and queso is masculine ’ t wait till the next batch of steers goes to market beef,. Oven-Safe pot, heat oil in a pot, add the tongue in a pot! In Quebec sign up to receive our 5-Day Chinese cooking, Asian inspired dishes and! Or cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering to serve, heat fat. Minutes total Marinated beef tongue, and the recipe for the Chinese,... Just what it was called t usually cook with offal greens that included dandelion from..., tongue, of course we made tacos with it recipe list only Chinese do you any!, they have a great collection, with a very crispy crust and melt-in-your-mouth texture t till... Till the next batch of salsa Verde super excited about this budget-friendly....