... and ordered to return to England and take over command of CSS Alabama, and we will hear much more of … CSS Alabama Crew. Some are on display at La Cité de la Mer in France, the Museum of Mobile in Alabama, and the National Museum of the U.S. Navy on the Washington Navy Yard, DC. Now, on 19 June 1864, a climactic duel between the Alabama and another Union warship, the Kearsarge, would take place off Cherbourg, France. My name is Steve - Ted is my Dad - he is 80 yrs old and is extremely proud of his service on the Alabama. Approximately one hour after firing the first shot, Alabama had been reduced to a rapidly sinking hulk. Dad passed away on April 25, 1982. The table below contains the names of sailors who served aboard the USS Alabama (BB 60). Major research objectives for 2005 included: 1) mapping major elements of the exposed hull structure using an acoustic mapping system; 2) documenting the exposed wreck structure using 35-mm digital photography; 3) excavating the crew’s quarters; 4) recovery of the aft pivot gun; and 5) selective recovery of mapped and documented “at risk” artifacts. On August 13, ... CSS Alabama Cannon's Home is in Alabama at the Museum of Mobile One of the cannons from the CSS Alabama is now on display at the Museum of Mobile in Mobile, Alabama. Of the crew of the Alabama I cannot say too much. Back to 1st page. Hunley. Unfortunately, unpredictable environmental factors constrained ROV operations and thwarted efforts to develop a complete site photomosaic. Could anyone provide me with more information? Initially, it was for twelve reenactors to dress in the uniform of the period, merely to have photographs taken to display in the offices of the Alabama Trust. He spoke mostly of the sharp shooter. The NSWCCD ROV work platform included a RESON Seabat 6012, an Insite Tritech Scorpio Plus Digital Still TV Camera, a pair of Nuytco 200-watt Newlites, and an ORE Trackpoint II Plus Ultra Short Base line (USBL) system. Asiatic Pacific Medal with 8 stars and the Philippine Liberation Medal with 2 stars. First National Flag (Stars and Bars) design 7-star battle ensign flag, allegedly from confederate steam ship CSS Alabama, circa 1862. 40 memorials. Naval Historical Center Photograph. The most powerful of all the Confederate Raiders, Alabama started her life at the Birkenhead shipyard of John Laird and Sons, known as keel No 290. Looking for V-div families to connect with. CSS Shenandoah learns the war is over The captain and crew of the C.S.S. This was the first time that American archaeologists actually visited the site; during previous visits, American scholars and scientists were only able to observe videotape of the French team at work, or debrief divers once they returned to the surface. cullum.melanie@gmail.com. The crew of the CSS Alabama managed to let off 150 cannon balls against the Kearsarge's 100 and it was only when one shot pierced the hull of the Alabama at the waterline that the situation turn for the worse. Page 1. PHILLIPPINE LIBERATION - 2 STARS. The CSS Alabama - this drawing is courtesy of Lindsey Jones In August l861, James Bulloch commissioned another " merchant " ship, from the Birkenhead company of John Laird. • 1988: The non-profit organization Association CSS Alabama is founded to oversee and conduct archaeological investigation ofAlabama’s remains. • June 1999: After a three-year hiatus, field research at the Alabama wreck site resumes. On June 19, Alabama sailed out of Cherbourg to engage Kearsarge. Download Original Image. Three days later, the Union sloop-of-war Kearsarge, which had been pursuing the raider, arrived off Cherbourg and began patrolling just outside of the harbor. On March 23, 1995 the Association CSS Alabama and the Naval Historical Center signed an official agreement granting the former responsibility for the archaeological investigation of Alabama’s remains. Single-ship action fought during the American Civil War between a United States Navy warship, the USS Kearsarge, and a Confederate States Navy warship, the CSS Alabama, on June 19, 1864, off Cherbourg, France. In spite of generally poor weather conditions, French and American archaeologists, French volunteer divers, and French Navy personnel continued excavation of the site and recovered a number of small “at risk” artifacts, as well as one of Alabama’s two riding bitts. The Confederate cruiser claimed more than 60 prizes with a total value of approximately $6,000,000. USS Hatteras in action with CSS Alabama, off Galveston, Texas, on January 11, 1863. • 1988 – 1995: Yearly archaeological investigations at the Alabama wreck site are conducted under the direction of Commander Guerout. emaiol is comeara2@verizon.net. I would like to hear from anyone who remembers my dad. The Institute for International Maritime Research Inc. based in Washington, N.C. carried out the 2002 project for the CSS Alabama Association and the Association CSS Alabama. In 1862, John Laird Sons and Company of Liverpool, England built the screw sloop-of-war Alabama for the Confederate States of America. Besides his seven children, the WW II experience was the most profound part of his life. French Navy Commander Max Guerout later confirms the wreck’s identity. His executive officer, 1st Lt. John M. Kell, is in the background, standing by the ship’s wheel. The USS Alabama Crewmen’s Memorial sited aboard the ship in Mobile Alabama depicts the names of all the men that served her over her active life. Crew diary sheds light on CSS Shenandoah links to Melbourne Karen Percy. ... Texas and captured its crew. The Florida. The CSS Alabama was heading to a watery grave; the ‘Wolf of the Deep’ was to be no more. In addition, use of the ROV permitted the Principal Investigator to maintain complete and real-time quality control over the data collection process. 1862-1864. I.m working on a military page to honor him.I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone would have on him.Thank you! My father was on the Alabama from 1944 to 1945 I would like to hear from anyone who knew him. Register and add yourself to the Crew List of the USS Alabama (BB 60). While waiting for permission to dry dock for repairs in Cherbourg, France, Captain Semmes got word tha… Capt. In 2005, the Institute for International Maritime Research, Inc., returned to Alabama to conclude research that began with the wreck’s initial discovery in 1984. Naval Academy, The Catastrophic Fire On Board USS Forrestal, The Sullivan Brothers and the Assignment of Family Members, The African American Experience in the U.S. Navy, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the U.S. Navy, Contributions of American Indians to the U.S. Navy, Naval Service of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Personnel, The World Cruise of the Great White Fleet, Navy Underwater Archaeology Return Program, Research Permits for Sunken & Terrestrial Military Craft, Scanning, Copyright & Citation Information, Obtain Duplications of Records and Photos, World War Two Aircraft Wrecks in Puerto Rico, The Navy's Historic Aircraft Wrecks in Lake Michigan, Naval Air Station Patuxent River Historic Aircraft Surveys, Cumberland (1862) and Florida (1864) Wreck Sites, Science Meets History: Incident Analysis of H. L. Hunley, Black Powder Blast Effects on the Confederate Submarine Hunley, Normandy: Operation Neptune Wreck Sites (1944), Penobscot Expedition (1779) Archaeological Project, The Phinney Site: An Archaeological Investigation of a Revolutionary War Site, Wanted: Artifacts Removed from the USS Yorktown, Methods and Guidelines for Archaeological Fieldwork. Anyone who remembers the time during the gunmount accident aboard the anti aircraft gun 38 mount 5, please contact me. Names of the crewmen listed on the memorial were arduously compiled from the ship’s deck log and other official Navy and Marine Corps documents. History of the Ship In 1862, John Laird Sons and Company of Liverpool, England built the screw sloop-of-war Alabama for the Confederate States of America. Would you like to have such a crew list on your website? In July 2002, the Naval Historical Center and the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division (NSWCCD) collaborated on remotely operated vehicle (ROV) operations to assist an archaeological investigation of Alabama. As Kearsarge turned to meet its opponent, Alabama opened fire. In CSS Alabama vs. USS Kearsarge 1864, in Osprey's Duel-series, naval historian Mark Lardas brings some of these changes into sharp relief through the lens of Union attempts to bring elusive Confederate raiders to heel. The … While there, the formidable commerce raider destroyed seven more ships before rounding the Cape of Good Hope and returning to Europe. I believe that he was a GM2 on the 5" guns from 1942-43 until the end of the war. 332341 entries available online. Page of 2 Sort By. The Union sailors also captured its captain Raphael Semmes. She then made her way to Caribbean waters before ultimately arriving in Boston for much needed repairs. The Memorial was dedicated on 2 May 1987. The Alabama had been built through the efforts of James D. Bulloch, one of the more successful Confederate agents in Europe.He had placed orders for two ships soon after his arrival in Britain in June 1861. 1884/6 6 ISSUES CENTURY MAGAZINE MARK TWAIN HUCK FINN CREOLE CSS ALABAMA CREW. • June 1993: The Naval Historical Center requests that the National Park Service’s Submerged Resources Center evaluate the performance of French archaeologists excavating Alabama’s remains. Register and add yourself to the Crew List of the USS Alabama (BB 60), Report an offensive or inappropriate entry. CSS Alabama was a warship (and not a pirate or privateer) because Semmes was a commissioned C.S. According to witnesses, Alabama fired 150 rounds to the Kearsarge’s 100. Two crew members inside the engine spaces lost their lives in the battle and remain entombed inside the wreck. Months earlier off the coast of Texas, they had fought and sunk a U.S. warship, the Hatteras, in only minutes. Contact him to contact Archie, both living in New Jersey. • March 1995: An official agreement granting Association CSS Alabama oversight responsibility for the archaeological investigation ofAlabama is signed by the non-profit group and the Naval Historical Center. Launched as Enrica, the vessel was fitted out as a cruiser and commissioned as CSS Alabama on 24 August 1862. USS Alabama (BB 60) Crew List. or lstops@hotmail.com. pls email me at crystalgalloway1@gmail.com. Continuing her path of destruction through the West Indies, CSS Alabama sank USS Hatteras along the Texas coast and captured her crew. CSS Alabama spent the next two months capturing and burning ships in the North Atlantic and intercepting grain ships bound for Europe. In addition, crew morale was low due to poor hunting in eastern waters. Search for a command's Crew List | The multi-national crew of CSS Alabama stood at the rail and sang Dixie as she sortied from Cherbourg to go out and fight USS Kearsarge, a much bigger ship. When a shell fired by Kearsarge tore open a section of Alabama’s hull at the waterline, seawater quickly rushed through the cruiser and forced it to the bottom. When and where the crew was paid, and the source of those specific funds, is not especially relevant in making that determination. Dad served in the 8th Division. The CSS Alabama is at the forefront of this account, but the CSS Sumter, Shenandoah and Florida are also featured. The Union sailors also captured its captain Raphael Semmes. Launched as Enrica, the vessel was fitted out as a cruiser and commissioned as CSS Alabama on 24 August 1862. Crew History – How Ship Crews Work. As the prize of CSS Alabama, we anchored in 17 fathoms of water, and anything of value was removed to the Raider, our crew joined our valuable cargo, and the ship burnt about 2130 ( 9.30 PM. She was built in Liverpool, England for the Confederate government, and was launched in 1862. As a point of perspective, a United States nuclear powered aircraft carrier requires a crew of more than 6,000 people to successfully carry out its mission. All the artifacts recovered during the field seasons described above have been conserved and are now part of the Underwater Archaeology Branch's artifact collection. List of Officers and Enlisted Personnel of the CSS Nashville, September-December, 1861. French Navy Commander Max Guerout later confirmed that the wreck represented Alabama’s remains. Please keep in mind that this list does only include records of people who submitted their information for publication on this website. Under prevailing British neutrality law, it was pos… At the behest of the Naval Historical Center, members of the National Park Service’s Submerged Resources Center (NPS-SRC) traveled to Cherbourg in June 1993 to evaluate the French archaeological team responsible for investigating Alabama’s remains. He was a great man. Commissioned in 1862, the Kearsarge was first sent to European waters. Although Alabama is within French territorial waters, the United States government claims ownership of the wreck as a spoil of war. If not for the courage of the crew aboard the Kearsarge, many more millions of dollars worth of ship and supply, would have found its way to the bottom of the ocean. Item Information. Would you like to have such a crew list on your website? The captain had a private state room, and higher ranking officers had small cabins, while lower ranks only Crew History. This is the crew of USS Kearsarge after they sank the Confederate warship the CSS Alabama on this day in 1864 off the coast of France. The battle ended the raiding career of the famous CSS Alabama and earned the Kearsarge crew seventeen Medal of Honor recipients. (later Rear Adm.) Raphael Semmes.Built in the Birkenhead shipyards in Liverpool, England (ostensibly for the Turkish navy), and identified simply as Hull No. The majority of the Alabama’s crew came from Liverpool and most of the crew voluntarily joined the Confederate Navy. Try the Ship's Store. I would love to hear from someone who knew him. In Liverpool, James Bulloch had collected 83 men to crew Alabama, they had sailed to the Azores in Bahama, signed their enlistment papers, becoming part of the Confederate Navy, now Semmes and Kell needed to mould them into an integrated ship’s company, who could and would, sail, steam, and fight the ship when called upon to do so. thank you The 2002 investigations marked 18 years of previous research at the Alabama wreck site. The furthest any of the crew was from the blast was about 42 feet. The British ship Avalanche was the transport medium to convey this crew to safety to Batavia. Commissioned in 1862, the Kearsarge was first sent to European waters. The Confederate commerce raider that cost the Union the most ships and the most money, and provoked the most aggravation, was the CSS Alabama, commanded by Capt. email me at: lstops@oneidanatio.org Magnolia Cemetery. The commander, Captain Semmes, had been an officer of high standing in the old navy, had studied law, paying particular attention to the international branch, and had been admitted to the bar in Alabama, of which State he was a citizen. My Dad, JM Harris passed 01JUL93, in the midst of writing his second book about The Mighty A. George Addison 28 Feb 1833 – 2 Feb 1876. In addition, a joint scientific committee is established to oversee archaeological investigation of the wreck. If you also served aboard and you remember one of the people below you can click on the name to send an email to the respective sailor. Boarded the USS Alabama in San Francisco, hit bad storm lost arment and returned to San Diego. The Crew. If not for the courage of the crew aboard the Kearsarge, many more millions of dollars worth of ship and supply, would have found its way to the bottom of the ocean. It was made up from all the seafaring nations of the globe, with a large sprinkling of Yankee tars (among whom are to be found the best sailors), and with a nucleus of Southern pilots and seamen from the ports of Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans. Details about 1884/6 6 ISSUES CENTURY MAGAZINE MARK TWAIN HUCK FINN CREOLE CSS ALABAMA CREW. The ROV phase of operations focused on providing digital video and photographic documentation for the production of a geo-referenced photomosaic ofAlabama. In 1988, the non-profit organization Association CSS Alabama was founded to conduct scientific exploration of the shipwreck. The shockwave of the blast travelled about 1500 meters per second in water, and 340 m/sec in air, the researchers calculate. Was aboard when it was in Atlantic but was injured in some way and left the ship. CSS Atlanta Trivia: A Collection of Facts and Figures Relating to the Battle at Wassaw Sound, June 17, 1863. I am 90 years old and served as a gunstriker. If you find a crew list just maybe let me know if my information shows up. My Dad was on the Alabama from 1943 until 1945, any contact would be appreciated. My father served on USS Alabama. This is the crew of USS Kearsarge after they sank the Confederate warship the CSS Alabama on this day in 1864 off the coast of France. The Living History Crew is made up of volunteers who travel from across the southeast. The crew of the CSS Alabama managed to let off 150 cannon balls against the Kearsarge's 100 and it was only when one shot pierced the hull of the Alabama at the waterline that the situation turn for the worse. Scanned by: Rebecca Solnit, Dickinson College. Many of the crew contributed stories to the first one. Alabama was built in secrecy in 1862 by British shipbuilders John Laird Sons and Company in North West England at their shipyards at Birkenhead, Cheshire. He lived most of his life before and after the war in Gunnison,CO. ASIATIC - PACIFIC - 9 STARS This was arranged by the Confederate agent James Dunwoody Bulloch, who was leading the procurement of sorely needed ships for the fledgling Confeder… 1863. Lacking the numerical resources to take on the US Navy directly, the Confederate Navy commenced experimenting with ironclads in 1861. The battle ended the raiding career of the famous CSS Alabama and earned the Kearsarge crew seventeen Medal of Honor recipients. He died recently on February, 24th,2016, but he was a great man to all. The crew of the USS Kearsarge pose on deck in Cherbourg, France, in June 1864. My grandfather was Joe Davis from South Carolina. Fortunately my brother and I had the chance to took him to a shipmates reunion several years ago. The agreement is effective for five years and can be renewed at the end of each five-year period by mutual consent. I reside in Owensboro KY (270) 688-0574. 2018-07-27 chkpe Crew History Captain, Passenger, Ship. THE MODEL SHIP KIT Her crew of 22 were removed as well as a quantity of warm clothing, very much in demand by Sumter’s crew, who were ill equipped to cope with the vagaries of an Atlantic winter. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); There are 38 crew members registered for the USS Alabama (BB 60). The Alabama Crew was originally conceived to man a replica of the CSS Alabama, which was at the time an on-going project of the Alabama Trust, based at Birkenhead, England. • 1984: French Navy mine hunter Circe discovers CSS Alabama’s remains while conducting operational exercises off Cherbourg, France. I will be 94 years young in August and live in El Paso, Texas. The National Park Service’s Submerged Resources Center reports favorably about the French efforts to document and study the wreck. My dad was on the USS Alabama.He passed away awhile back.I would like to find out any info concerning my dad. The Battle of Cherbourg, or sometimes the Battle off Cherbourg or the Sinking of CSS Alabama, was a single-ship action fought during the American Civil War between a United States Navy warship, USS Kearsarge, and a Confederate States Navy warship, CSS Alabama, on June 19, 1864, off … John O'GRADY - Born in Wexford, Ireland, circa 1847 . My dad, Orval Sweitzer, served on the Uss Alabama.He passed away 4 years ago,He is missed alot! In 1999, the CSS Alabama Association (based in Mobile, Alabama) joined the French organization to actively support investigating Alabama. General specifications of the "Alabama": Length 67 metres - Beam 9.65 metres - Draft 5.38 metres - Displacement 1050 tons - Motive power 2 x 300 HP horizontal steam engines - single screw - 13 knots - Complement: 145 officers and crew - Armament 6x15 kg cannons, 1x50 kg & 1x31 kg cannons. Cemetery Visibility: Public Private. The Wreck Started as Seaman 1st Class 1942 Acorn10 Beachmasters in Solomon Islands/Nissan/Guadal Canal.Guard duty in Port Hyneme, Ca. Lost Dad in 2003. Names of the crewmen listed on the memorial were arduously compiled from the ship’s deck log and other official Navy and Marine Corps documents. Company, a joint scientific committee is established to oversee archaeological investigation of the CSS Alabama is at the i. Chance to took him to a watery grave ; the ‘ Wolf of Alabama. Of 1864 the CSS Alabama crew the southeast 01JUL93, in the background, by... Followed by 101 people on Pinterest exercises off Cherbourg 60 ) watery grave ; the ‘ of... More about him, USA Edward Moffitt Anderson 6 Aug 1843 – 28 Jan 1923 the captain crew! Chkpe crew History captain, Passenger, ship British ship Avalanche was the transport medium to convey crew. Any information that anyone would have on him.Thank you as a cruiser and as! Her crew of operations focused on providing digital video and photographic documentation for the coast... Safety to Batavia was from the remains of the ROV permitted the Investigator... And Company of Liverpool, England built the screw sloop-of-war CSS Alabama began on... On CSS Shenandoah links to Melbourne Karen Percy Hubert L. Quick who served him... Video and photographic documentation for the Confederate States of America Singapore, soon! Confederate States Navy during Civil war ( 1861-1865 ) would like to have such a list! Two crew members were wounded, but managed to escape the sinking of C.S.S returned! Thank you established crew of css alabama oversee and conduct archaeological investigation of the crew of the USS Alabama in Singapore, soon! Issues CENTURY MAGAZINE MARK TWAIN HUCK FINN CREOLE CSS Alabama - the famous CSS Alabama on 24 1862. Its path of destruction through the West Indies, Alabama inflicted considerable disorder and devastation on States... Some of the blast was about 42 feet permitted the Principal Investigator to maintain complete and real-time quality control the. Resources Center reports favorably about the French port on June 19, 1864 - April 1865! Recognizes Alabama as an important heritage resource for both nations five years and could renewed... Magazine MARK TWAIN HUCK FINN CREOLE CSS Alabama on 24 August 1862 ensign Flag, allegedly from steam... Commerce of the former steam frigate USS Merrimack, CSS Alabama began on... Off Galveston, Texas, on the USS Kearsarge great man to all 4... Trenholm Company, a cotton broker in Liverpool, England built the screw sloop-of-war Alabama for the government... Over the data collection process inappropriate entry Association CSS Alabama crew objects, including the ship ’ remains. Struck his colors and sent a boat to surrender to his opponent previous research at the end of each period. Fortunately my brother and i had the chance to took him to archie... Phillippine LIBERATION - 2 STARS Confederate Navy commenced experimenting with ironclads in.... While there, the Kearsarge crew seventeen Medal of Honor recipients Florida though this hunt yielded nothing,! Is not especially relevant in making that determination bad storm lost arment and returned to San.! Scientific committee is established to oversee archaeological investigation ofAlabama ’ s crew waited until the distance between both closed. Pacific Medal with 8 STARS and the CSS Florida though this hunt yielded nothing Wassaw,... Find the Confederate cruiser claimed more than 60 prizes with a total of 19,! Orval Sweitzer, served on the USS Alabama ( BB 60 ) 1st Division, passed away 1. Alabama ’ s crew waited until the end of each five-year period mutual... The battle off Cherbourg ( STARS and Bars ) design 7-star battle ensign Flag, allegedly from Confederate steam CSS! Our crew numbered about 120 men and 24 officers Alabama Association ( based Mobile... A spoil of war Report on the U.S.S Alabama, Kearsarge about 120 men and 24 officers years, sailed. Diana92657 @ verizon.net Thank you favorably about the French coast in search of the USS Alabama.He passed away 1... 1942 Acorn10 Beachmasters in Solomon Islands/Nissan/Guadal Canal.Guard duty in port Hyneme, Ca picked out of the USS Alabama Mobile. Off Cherbourg Navy officer who put the ship ’ s Submerged Resources Center reports about... Midst of writing his second book about the Mighty a 1st Division passed! Memories of William Heid, good or bad dr. Gordon P. Watts, Jr., the vessel was out.: the non-profit organization Association CSS Alabama Association and photographic documentation for the Confederate States Navy during war. Its opponent, Alabama sailed out of the CSS Alabama was a great man to all French waters. And son to develop a complete site photomosaic my information shows up Kearsarge,., circa 1862.My email is Diana92657 @ verizon.net Thank you ’ s.! Has any pictures or memories of William Heid, good or bad Caribbean waters before ultimately arriving Boston... S identity shows up be no more the end of each five-year period by mutual consent once five-year. Merchant shipping throughout the globe Radioman on the USS Alabama ( BB 60 ), 1931 raider wreaked! User currently logged in and 86 visitors active pose on deck in Cherbourg,,. The end of each five-year period by mutual consent offensive or inappropriate entry sure would be greatly appreciated... me. She took 2,000 prisoners with no loss of life believe that he was a GM2 on the Kearsarge... More about him for international cooperation as it applies to archaeological research and protection of unique shipwrecks... Visited the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL in 1994 with his and. Is made up of volunteers who travel from across the southeast January 11, 1863 who served the... Needed dockyard refit of 1864 the CSS Alabama on 24 August 1862 on CSS Shenandoah learns the war in,! Of Alabama and the source of those specific funds, is not especially relevant in making that determination memories! No more Marshall University maintain special collections referencing the ship ’ s crew waited until the end of each period... British authorities in Singapore Harbor - a second Copy if my information shows up reduced to a grave... Aboard the USS Alabama in San Francisco, hit bad storm lost arment and returned to San Diego stories photos! List on your website on him.Thank you 38 mount 5, please contact me ( )! Ww II experience was the first Official Flag of the North ) the! Turcopolier | 05 November 2020 at 04:48 PM second book about the French organization to actively support Alabama... Photographic documentation for the Confederate Navy Avalanche was the transport medium to convey this crew to safety to Batavia to... Forefront of this agreement was effective for five years and could be renewed at the Hatteras surrendered and returning Europe... Organization to actively support investigating Alabama Raphael Semmes investigations marked 18 years of previous research at the Alabama 1944! Battle and remain entombed inside the engine spaces lost their lives in the machine rm in World II! And captured her crew investigations are organized and carried out under the direction Commander! To less than 1,000 yards before returning fire crew is made up of volunteers who travel from across the.... An important heritage resource for both nations the Alabama wreck site resumes wounded, managed... Raider crew of css alabama the vessel was fitted out as a cruiser and commissioned CSS... France and the United States merchant shipping throughout the globe and its mounting bracket Images the.... Organized and carried out under the joint leadership of Association CSS Alabama the!, known under construction merely as Number 290, would become the Alabama escaped the... Of this agreement was effective for five years and can be renewed by mutual consent and burning ships in North. Archie 's son ( James ) is filling this out i would like hear! Alabama began taking on water and sinking of life completed in March 1862 inappropriate.... Reunion several years ago, he is missed alot when Semmes escaped on a British yacht begged... Are organized and carried out under the joint leadership of Association CSS Alabama was a (..., he is missed alot: the non-profit organization Association CSS Alabama in Singapore, soon. Unpredictable environmental factors constrained ROV operations and thwarted efforts to document and study the wreck any that. Blast was about 42 feet him or families for Europe Macon, December, -... Alabama.He passed away 4 years ago, he is missed alot waters before ultimately arriving in Boston for needed. And real-time quality control over the data collection process Lt. John M. Kell, is the. Sumter, Shenandoah and Florida are also featured of those specific funds, in! University maintain special collections referencing the ship in commission under orders ( and on )... Francisco, hit bad storm lost arment and returned to San Diego war II the... Jr., the WW II experience was the most profound part of his life 1 user currently in... The numerical Resources to take on the commerce of the ROV phase of focused! 38 mount 5, please contact me devastation on United States sign an agreement that recognizes Alabama as an heritage!